Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's Official: Mercedes Unveils Details Of The All-New SLR McLaren Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 07:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default It's Official: Mercedes Unveils Details Of The All-New SLR McLaren Roadster

Talk about a surprise announcement... I sat down this morning with my usual cup of espresso thinking it'd be another slow day in the land of Mercedes news, when lo and behold, Mercedes has laid all the speculation to rest and unveiled to the world the new SLR McLaren Roadster.

Needless to say, it's a an exquisitely beautiful vehicle (at least when its top is down), sharing the same styling as its coupe counterpart but featuring a fully-retractable top. One question pondered by many before today was whether the SLR Roadster would maintain it's unique butterfly doors, and thankfully, it has. Other than that, not much has changed from the traditional SLR.

It's powered by AMG's V8 compressor engine delivering 460 kW/626 hp; top speed is an impressive 206 mph and its 0-62 mph time is 3.8 seconds. Its top, which is available in your choice of three colors and is constructed out of a newly-developed roof material, closes semi-automatically in less than ten seconds. To operate it, users simply unlock the top from the windscreen frame and briefly raise it, after which it folds away electronically. I personally would have preferred the aesthetic appearance of a retractable hard top even with the weight gain, but that's just my opinion.

And then there's the carbon. No SLR would be complete without a host of carbon components, and the roadster is no exception. Apart from the two aluminum engine frames, the SLR Roadster's body is made entirely of carbon-fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) materials, while complex carbon-fibre technology has been intelligently further developed for the new model's monocoque chassis. The result is low weight, exemplary energy absorption and extremely high occupant safety. In short, it performs like a closed-top coupe, plus you get a free tan.

But enough talk - you've been waiting to see pictures, so pictures ye shall see. To learn more, keep scrolling to see a number of photos depicting the new Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Roadster in various delectable poses, followed by the full press release outlining the model.
via emercedesbenz
Old 05-05-07, 08:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Old 05-05-07, 08:09 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks hot, but it's rather pointless considering that they regular SLR's don't sell all that well.
Old 05-05-07, 09:54 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks so much better in darker colors!
Old 05-05-07, 10:21 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interior still looks like its made of plastic...ashame...
Old 05-05-07, 01:54 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

i like it
Old 05-05-07, 02:48 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

I wonder how the street price will be...

I once walked into a Mercedes dealership to test drive an ML, and I happened to see a black SLR with the sign "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH" there.

So I asked a dealer how much the car was just to make conversation, and he suddenly told me to come to his office.

I thought he just ignored me and tried to make a sale, but as soon as he turned on his computer, he showed me an invoice...of an SLR .

I knew that SLR's cost around $270K, so I decided to look at which lucky bastage got to drive away with this beast before looking at anything else.

The buyer was Jackie Chan .

And as I looked down the page, I stumbled upon the bottom line price...and oh...my...god.

$675,000. Why, Jackie Chan, why? "The Tuxedo," "Shanghai Knights," "The Medallion," all sucked! Where do you get the money?!

It's ridiculous what uber rich people pay for their toys...*sigh*
Old 05-06-07, 02:12 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Simply gorgeous!
Old 05-06-07, 02:52 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Those gills look way too much like "gills" to me.
Old 05-06-07, 07:22 AM
LexFather

Its so Batman can have his cape waving in the wind...its scary to the criminals and Robin likes it....

Old 05-06-07, 10:41 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

looks good

im surprised they got the doors to still open up like that for the convertible too
that must be one strong windshield + frame (pillars) or some really strong struts

MB knows how to make their cars look good no matter what...
soft top seems smooth too