Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What Gas do you get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 01:35 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

chevron cuz it has techron! n i like the talking cartoon cars hahah
Old 05-05-07, 01:39 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Because he is in Silicon Valley... Chevron's refinery is there... When I lived there I used Chevron as well... I figured that it was home-cooking... You know, Chevron puts better gas in their local stations than they do elsewhere... Plus the gas is fresher...
Chevron's refinery is in Richmond, CA (15 minutes from my work). They do have a gas station right there too.....hm......maybe I should get the fill-ups there instead of SF....

BTW, Shell's refinery is in Rodeo, CA......very close by too!
Old 05-05-07, 01:39 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=duckduck;2601915]Is there a reason why you want to use Ethanol? (My guess is to become less dependent on foreign oil)

lol, I don't even know if Ethanol is good for your engine or not.

But as a Top Tier gasoline company, I'm guessing(or hoping) that it's at least not harmful.

I'll let you know if my IS breaks down relatively early .
Old 05-05-07, 01:41 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=joonsta;2602036]
Originally Posted by duckduck
Is there a reason why you want to use Ethanol? (My guess is to become less dependent on foreign oil)

lol, I don't even know if Ethanol is good for your engine or not.

But as a Top Tier gasoline company, I'm guessing(or hoping) that it's at least not harmful.

I'll let you know if my IS breaks down relatively early .
correct me if i am wrong, I think that has something to do with the emission (esp in CA)......
Old 05-05-07, 01:50 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=kickin8;2602043]
Originally Posted by joonsta

correct me if i am wrong, I think that has something to do with the emission (esp in CA)......
hmm..Ethanol doesn't necessarily burn cleaner than gasoline. However, ethanol can be made from the corn produced in the United States, thereby relying less on foreign oil.

For those that didn't know though, ethanol provides less energy than gasoline.
Old 05-05-07, 02:15 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

aren't stations attached to the refinery more expensive? i know the mobil station at the refinery in torrance is the most expensive station around.
Old 05-05-07, 02:26 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ethanol is being substituted for MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether) in gasoline as an "oxygenate" to raise the oxygen content of the fuel, cutting emissions of O3 - a particular problem in urban areas. MTBE was found to be a particularly nasty product when it leaches into groundwater, the common source being leaking fuel storage tanks. Some states (including California) have made banned MTBE, making ethanol mandatory.

While it will not harm a modern engine (in concentrations of 10% or so), it does not provide as much energy as gasoline, thus can be expected to produce observably lower mileage.

A couple of months ago I performed a rough test to the two fuels in my RX 330: RESULTS HERE. I wouldn't have believed the difference, but as unscientific as it may be, I think it points to some demonstrated truth - ethanol is not an efficient motor fuel.
Old 05-05-07, 02:37 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
aren't stations attached to the refinery more expensive? i know the mobil station at the refinery in torrance is the most expensive station around.
You would think delivery costs would be less, but in practice, the market is going to determine selling price. Over in Deer Park, TX, the site of the nation's largest Shell refinery, there is a Texaco station about a block from Shell's main gate that is ALWAYS at least three cents cheaper per gallon. (Other Texaco stations are not as cheap.) I think they just like sticking it in the eye of the Shell employees who have their "own" gas station at the main gate - that is always more expensive. . .
Old 05-05-07, 02:51 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I use Shell and Chevron. Shell has the best commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFlaNJALet4
Old 05-05-07, 03:02 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I alternate between shell and chevron. Not because of any gimmicks but because I believe they have the best detergents. Techron might be the single best detergent out there, their gas cleaners have visibly improved fuel flows (literally one guy had his engine open and saw the transition in fluid flow)

All gas stations use pretty much the same base gasoline stock. The only other difference besides the detergent is the age of the gas. Usually those cheap "freestate" stations where you pay cash, get the older gas and some dubious detergent.

I like to alternate gas, because the detergents clean up after one another.
Old 05-05-07, 03:05 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shell. I used 76 once and my car felt a little rough. Maybe its just my head though.
Old 05-05-07, 03:56 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Chevron 93 Octane

or Shell if I can't find a Chevron
Old 05-05-07, 04:01 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
You drive a Lexus, don't be so cheap...
Old 05-05-07, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Mobil, Amoco, and Chevron used to be the best and highest-quality brands....but Mobil and Amoco were sold off to Exxon and BP, so you really don't know what you are getting any more with those two.

Among today's brands, you guys are correct.......there is little question that Shell and Chevron have the best detergent packages, and are generally considered the highest quality short of pure racing gasoline. Under normal circumstances, those are the only two brands I will put in my own car.
Old 05-05-07, 06:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

In Mexico, only type of gas is the national Pemex, so I use their Premium 92 octane. However, my favorites in the U.S. are Chevron for daily use and Sunoco for track use.

Quick Reply: What Gas do you get?