Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Luxury Lead Threatened by Lexus, Stagnant Margins (Bloomberg)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 03:27 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by newr
that X5 in the pic looks awesome.
It looks incredible and in person. I really really like what they've done.

Old 05-06-07, 04:02 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yet they dont give you floor mats, metallic paint, and leather included standard
Although floor mats are listed as an accessory, dealers will give it to you anyway. I haven't heard of anyone actually having to buy the floor mats.

I've seen BMW change over the last 8 or 9 years, and actually, the prices haven't gone up as much as I'd expected. I remember back 4 or 5 years ago when I was building a 325i on their website, the MSRP was around $27k. You added on foglights, automatic headilghts, moonroof, and wood trim. Did I care? no. With the redesign of the E90, I remember telling my friend "I think it'll start around $35k". Boy was I shocked when the MY 2006 325i came out listing for $30 and a half, along with all the extra goodies like dual zone climate control, automatic headlight control, moonroof, and no-cost interior trim choices, and all the additional safety features. I thought "Wow BMW is playing the value game!"

Honestly, I could do without all the fancy features. I don't need 6 brake-related features (brake drying, hill hold assist, etc etc). I don't mind single-zone auto climate or manual temperature controls for that matter. I like a moonroof, but that really is a feature that few people use often. Charge 'em extra for aluminum or wood trim like they do in Europe. No need for power seats either, and the leatherette feels fine. Give me sport package, adaptive xenons, and maybe the Logic7 if I have the cash. That's it.

BMW charges for options a la carte in Europe and the base prices are higher. But they get far more choices in terms of options (like High Beam assist or a sliding front armrest for starters) and colors. I wouldn't mind more choices; I'll pay for them in fact.
Old 05-06-07, 05:59 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yet they dont give you floor mats, metallic paint, and leather included standard
Even if those were included, some people would still find other things to ****** about it.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Very nice to hear that BMW is watching Lexus, and not being complacent. Also nice of them to acknowledge Lexus as leaders in certain segments, not followers. Now if only BMW fans and dealers weren't so condescending and arrogant towards their competition.
This is true for all brands. These kind of fans and dealers exist everywhere, not just BMW.
Old 05-06-07, 06:16 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Come on, you want floor mats included with your luxury car?!

Isn't that asking a lot?

Next, you'll be asking for visors!

Anyway, BMW states that they are focusing on overcoming Lexus sales with new offerings. They should realize how difficult it will be to hit a fast moving target.
Old 05-06-07, 06:24 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newr
Even if those were included, some people would still find other things to ****** about it.

This is true for all brands. These kind of fans and dealers exist everywhere, not just BMW.
Well, you have a few posters who always say something negative about BMW judging by the history of their posts. It's more likely that a BMW owner will want leatherette and manual seats than a Lexus owner. Lexus packages everything in large packages where you pay for somethings you don't want. BMW allows you to pick exactly what you want.
Old 05-06-07, 07:19 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

if I bought a BMW I'd take it with no floormats. I wouldn't want any extra weight in such a high-performance machine.
Old 05-06-07, 08:27 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Written as a BMW fan (I LOVE my 3-series!):

WTF?? How does the 5-series compete with the LS? They're COMPLETELY different cars! I can comprehend someone cross-shopping the LS with the 750iL. Then it's a matter of whether you want a bit more luxury or a bit more sport. But the 5 is a LOT smaller, a LOT sportier, and a LOT less luxurious than the LS. They might as well compare a Ford Focus to the Audi S6.
Old 05-06-07, 08:29 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

BMW is in a perfect place. They might want more money but I hope they stay how they are; making high performance no compromise vehicles that are still practical (M3 and M5).
Old 05-06-07, 08:45 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Written as a BMW fan (I LOVE my 3-series!):

WTF?? How does the 5-series compete with the LS? They're COMPLETELY different cars! I can comprehend someone cross-shopping the LS with the 750iL. Then it's a matter of whether you want a bit more luxury or a bit more sport. But the 5 is a LOT smaller, a LOT sportier, and a LOT less luxurious than the LS. They might as well compare a Ford Focus to the Audi S6.
I noticed that too. I assume it was a misprint. Should of read "IS".
They later mention the new LS in an appropriate context.
Old 05-06-07, 08:46 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

IS doesn't compete with the 5 more.
The 5 is more to the LS than the IS is to the 5 if that makes sense.
Old 05-06-07, 11:06 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Wouldn't the 5-Series compete with the GS ?
Old 05-07-07, 01:14 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by joonsta
Wouldn't the 5-Series compete with the GS ?
You're absolutley right, but they didn't bring it up...
Old 05-07-07, 07:34 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vraa
BMW is in a perfect place. They might want more money but I hope they stay how they are; making high performance no compromise vehicles that are still practical (M3 and M5).
M3, yes. The SMG in the M5 really cannot be tolerated in daily traffic. Then again, there's the 3 pedal manual for the US so I guess that's no excuse.
Old 05-07-07, 08:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny thread along with the other so called BMW downfall thread below BMW has nothing to worry about.. They will continue to churn out vehicles that caters to the driving purists ala Porshe.
Old 05-07-07, 09:05 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
... compared to the estimated net profit of over 13 Billion USD that Toyota will announce in a few days. Less profit means less freedom in terms of devoting resources to R & D.

Yeah, 4.12 Billion Euro in pre-tax profit sure sounds like a lot ... and then you look at their net profit which was $800 million USD for the first quarter. Extrapolated, that's a 2.4 Billion USD annual net profit, a far cry from the misleading figure of the pre-tax profit.

Dropping profits are a warning sign that tells a company they should be cautious and look carefully at their operations and competition. Let's hope BMW doesn't still possess an ignorant mentality and that they take this profit drop seriously.
OMG - I think you are serious.....

Look at the reasons for the shortfall - they are valid. Now look again at the profit and compare it to other car companies - in fact, compare it per car sold if you want.....

Last edited by doug_999; 05-07-07 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: BMW Luxury Lead Threatened by Lexus, Stagnant Margins (Bloomberg)