Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Continues to Study Pickup Truck for U.S. Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 08:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Hyundai Continues to Study Pickup Truck for U.S. Buyers

By: Mike Levine Posted: 05-04-07 18:17 PT
© 2007 PickupTruck.com, Illustration © 2006 Mark Stehrenberger Design Studios

Following recent news after South Korea signed a free trade agreement with the United States, Hyundai is contemplating using its new 'BH' rear wheel drive platform for a lot more than sedans, coupes, and sports cars.

"The new chassis opens up new doors. We're considering using it to build a pickup," says Miles Johnson, a Hyundai product public relations manager.

The 'BH' architecture was highlighted by Hyundai during the 2007 New York Auto Show. It served as the foundation for the Concept Genesis full-size luxury sedan, which was also powered by Hyundai's all-new DOHC 32-valve 4.6-liter 'Tau' V8 engine.

"Concept Genesis was a look at our new flexible architecture. It's scalable. And a rear wheel drive, V8 pickup based on it could be something that we build. We're studying this very closely," says Johnson.

If 'BH' does spawn a pickup, Hyundai would be following Honda's build approach instead of mimicking truck offerings from General Motors, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota.

The midsize unibody Honda Ridgeline uses a heavily modified, car-based chassis for its underpinnings instead of traditional body-on-frame construction. The advantage of such a setup is a more comfortable ride, better handling, and under-box trunk space, by using an independent rear suspension instead of rear leaf springs and a solid rear axle. Disadvantages include potential towing and hauling limitations and the lower ground clearance of a soft-roader.

Unlike the Honda Ridgeline though, which uses a front-wheel biased, all-wheel-drive system, the Hyundai's rear-wheel-drive solution could work better for carrying heavy loads over the rear wheels. The 'BH' platform is actually more similar to GM's 'Zeta' rear-drive architecture, which will be used for the 2009 Chevrolet Camaro sports car, 2010 Chevrolet Impala sedan, and, we've been speculating, could lead to the return of the Chevrolet El Camino.

'BH' isn't the only thing that's flexible, so is the 'Tau' V8. Hyundai says the new eight cylinder motor can produce well over 300-horsepower in its current form and Johnson adds, "We can increase its displacement to get more power if we're going to use it in a pickup." A 'Tau'-propelled pickup would also have two extra cylinders over the Ridgeline's 255-hp 3.5-liter V6.

Johnson also said that Hyundai is studying offering a compact pickup, not based on the 'BH' platform. This truck would likely be powered by a four-cylinder engine and would be front-wheel-drive. Its specs would be similar to the small Chevy pickup we recently contemplated.

Johnson gave no indication when a decision would be made regarding either truck, or where they might be manufactured.
source : pickuptruck.com
Old 05-06-07, 08:06 AM
LexFather

Isn't their car sales pretty stagnant right now? Honda needs to be worried.

Old 05-06-07, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, if Hyundai, in fact, does a pickup, they better put some POWER in it. Pickups are made to WORK. One of the Hyundai's few (VERY few) weaknesses is that their engines just don't have the spunk that some of their competitors do, despite their published HP and torque figures on paper. Their products are now extremely well-made, but, in many cases, sluggish.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 02:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the same chassis for a sedan, sports car, *and* a pickup? Brilliant .

Sorry to say, but if Hyundai wants to make a pickup that's not laughed out of the market, they will have to come up with a separate truck platform for this rumoured model.
Old 05-06-07, 04:06 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

hyundai and kia in my opinion have greatly improved in their very short history, and yes i think honda might have something to worry about in the next 10 years, the new 3.8 liter v6s by hyundai and kia have a lot of power for the money, the idea of a truck in the near future seems like it will happen sooner then u know it, IMO, i test drove the kia amanti, man does it feel good, looks good too, just my idea of them
Old 05-06-07, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Use the same chassis for a sedan, sports car, *and* a pickup? Brilliant .

Subaru basically did it for the Baja....but, of course, we all know the Baja is not a real truck.
Old 05-06-07, 08:47 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

First let Hyundai make the RWD 300hp car.
Old 05-06-07, 09:23 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vraa
First let Hyundai make the RWD 300hp car.
hyundai is coming out with the "genesis" soon, they say it will have well over 300hp, so hold on tight buddy
Old 05-06-07, 09:48 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 00es300
hyundai is coming out with the "genesis" soon, they say it will have well over 300hp, so hold on tight buddy
Right.

I guess I wasn't clear (oh that's not new )
I want to see the car in person. I want it to see awards, I want it to take Hyundai places.

Competition is great in the market.
Old 05-07-07, 08:15 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnson also said that Hyundai is studying offering a compact pickup, not based on the 'BH' platform. This truck would likely be powered by a four-cylinder engine and would be front-wheel-drive.
i think they need to study a little harder
Old 05-07-07, 04:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Subaru basically did it for the Baja....but, of course, we all know the Baja is not a real truck.
The Baja is more of a "open wagon" than a truck. The Baja pales even compared to the Ridgeline, which itself is not a real truck either.

Hyundai can't cut such huge corners and expect to do good. Hyundai *must* develop a dedicated body-on-frame truck platform if they don't want to get laughed right out of the market.
Old 05-07-07, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The Baja is more of a "open wagon" than a truck. The Baja pales even compared to the Ridgeline, which itself is not a real truck either.

Hyundai can't cut such huge corners and expect to do good. Hyundai *must* develop a dedicated body-on-frame truck platform if they don't want to get laughed right out of the market.
I agree that if you're going to do a pickup, do it right, but the American market, for the most part, and for various reasons, is one of the few places in the world where a full-size body-on-frame truck WILL sell. But, even with that certainty, Hyundai marketers and bean-counters will have to decide if the the potential market for a real Hyundai truck (not just a converted car platform) exists in the U.S., and, given the traditional rock-solid loyalty of American pickup buyers and the addition to the market of the Titan and the new Tundra, IF a Hyundai full-size pickup will be able to make any inroads in that market. My opinion? Yes...but only if Hyundai can manage to keep their quality up, prices down, and have a little paitience. It will take time and not happen overnight. The new Tundra, for example, is a great truck under the skin, but the skin itself is flimsy and unimpressive (see my recent review). That alone seems to be turning some potential buyers off (I've actually had people tell me this at Toyota dealerships)...so Hyundai may be able to cash in a little on the people who don't like the Tundra and are afraid to buy the Titan for its relatively poor reliability record.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-07-07 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-07-07, 09:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that if you're going to do a pickup, do it right, but the American market, for the most part, and for various reasons, is one of the few places in the world where a full-size body-on-frame truck WILL sell. But, even with that certainty, Hyundai marketers and bean-counters will have to decide if the the potential market for a real Hyundai truck (not just a converted car platform) exists in the U.S., and, given the traditional rock-solid loyalty of American pickup buyers and the addition to the market of the Titan and the new Tundra, IF a Hyundai full-size pickup will be able to make any inroads in that market. My opinion? Yes...but only if Hyundai can manage to keep their quality up, prices down, and have a little paitience. It will take time and not happen overnight. The new Tundra, for example, is a great truck under the skin, but the skin itself is flimsy and unimpressive (see my recent review). That alone seems to be turning some potential buyers off (I've actually had people tell me this at Toyota dealerships)...so Hyundai may be able to cash in a little on the people who don't like the Tundra and are afraid to buy the Titan for its relatively poor reliability record.
Having a proper truck platform will merely gain entry for Hyundai into the market. By no means does it mean they will be successful.