Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Remember, value to each person is different. Value simply isn't a bunch of features jammed into a car and then slapping on a low price. It depends if the vehicle meets the buyer's criteria. If the car has more of what the buyer needs, the car will be the better value.
I know that value is in the eye of the beholder, but, IMO, when you look at the Pilot's lower price, better space efficiency, equally good or better build quality, and (in normal engine RPM range) equally good V6 performance, I think the handwriting is on the wall.
Old 05-07-07, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
See, my parents leases the MDX for 3 years, and now they bought a Grand Cherokee with 5.7 Hemi engine, and while MDX engine doesn't have the obscene amount of down low torque like the Hemi, it is much more smooth and refined, and I would take it over the Hemi in a heartbeat. Whats even more surprising, is that on the highway speeds in excess of 70 mph, the MDX engine still felt strong while the Hemi runs out of breath.
The reason your (non-SRT) Hemi runs out of breath at higher cruise speeds is that, for gas mileage, the engine computer shuts off fuel to four cylinders at lighter engine loads. You probably could get all 8 cylinders back if you punch it hard enough. The SRT Hemi doesn't have this feature....the engineers haven't figured out a way to combine it with the engine's other modifications.
Old 05-07-07, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Did you do a 07 Acura TL type S revies.. I did a search but nothing came up..

Thanks for the MDX review.. I have to give them credit for stepping up to the plate and finally getting some high HP in there cars and SUV's.. I haven't test drove one yet but from the catalog the pics look great and a huge advancement and redesign from last years model.. Anyway i really like the TL type S..

No, I haven't formally done a Type S review or write-up (though I did look at one and test-drive it several years ago when I was shopping for my Lexus IS300). I DID do a review/write-up a couple of years ago on the regular TL......not a bad car, but I wasn't terribly impessed with it. I thought the new SH-AWD RL was a far better car overall (one of the 10 best I've ever reviewed), and just blew the TL away in many categories.

(And I know that not everyone agrees with me.....the TL is very popular here with CL members, and the RL, generally, is not).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-07-07 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-07-07, 11:12 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mmarshall, do a BMW review!! I wanna see what you've got to say since your other reviews do seem like a good read and good material.

(Note: pick a tester with the right options. Don't try a sport model unless you really want to push the limits)
Old 05-07-07, 01:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The reason your (non-SRT) Hemi runs out of breath at higher cruise speeds is that, for gas mileage, the engine computer shuts off fuel to four cylinders at lighter engine loads. You probably could get all 8 cylinders back if you punch it hard enough. The SRT Hemi doesn't have this feature....the engineers haven't figured out a way to combine it with the engine's other modifications.
Nah, thats not the case. Even when you floor that Hemi, past 70mph it does pull that strong. And speaking of gas mileage, Acura's engine is rather economical in comparison.
Old 05-07-07, 01:38 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

No, I haven't formally done a Type S review or write-up (though I did look at one and test-drive it several years ago when I was shopping for my Lexus IS300). I DID do a review/write-up a couple of years ago on the regular TL......not a bad car, but I wasn't terribly impessed with it. I thought the new SH-AWD RL was a far better car overall (one of the 10 best I've ever reviewed), and just blew the TL away in many categories.

(And I know that not everyone agrees with me.....the TL is very popular here with CL members, and the RL, generally, is not).
THanks for the reply.. Maybe you can do a TL Type S right in the near future.. Dollar for dollar the TL, and G35 sedan are the best bang for the buck IMO.. Thanks

T
Old 05-07-07, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
mmarshall, do a BMW review!! I wanna see what you've got to say since your other reviews do seem like a good read and good material.

(Note: pick a tester with the right options. Don't try a sport model unless you really want to push the limits)
Which Bimmer you you want? In recent years, I've already formally done the 325, 550 (on request), X5 ( on request), and a quick write-up, mini-review of the M-chassis, regular-engined 545. I can do any BMW model that is readily available at dealerships.

I look forward to BMW reviews, not because of the I-Drive, but for their incomparable power-steering systems. They are a delight to drive.

Their overall build quality, IMO, however, has dropped noticeably in recent years, especially with the 5-series, and that has put a damper on their attractiveness as driving machines. I was a great fan of the last-generation pre-Chris Bangle 5-series...IMO, one of the finest machines BMW ever built. I almost bought a 528...but ended up with a Lexus IS300 instead......and joined CL.

Since then, I've become a convert to AWD...especially the Subaru system, but still like CL's forums.....the main reason I stay.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-07-07 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-07-07, 03:57 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Which Bimmer you you want? In recent years, I've already formally done the 325, 550 (on request), X5 ( on request), and a quick write-up, mini-review of the M-chassis, regular-engined 545. I can do any BMW model that is readily available at dealerships.

I look forward to BMW reviews, not because of the I-Drive, but for their incomparable power-steering systems. They are a delight to drive.

Their overall build quality, IMO, however, has dropped noticeably in recent years, especially with the 5-series, and that has put a damper on their attractiveness as driving machines. I was a great fan of the last-generation pre-Chris Bangle 5-series...IMO, one of the finest machines BMW ever built. I almost bought a 528...but ended up with a Lexus IS300 instead......and joined CL.

Since then, I've become a convert to AWD...especially the Subaru system, but still like CL's forums.....the main reason I stay.
*cough* BMW X3 3.0 si...
Old 05-07-07, 04:22 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
*cough* BMW X3 3.0 si...
LOL I can probably give you a pretty damn accurate one even though mine's an 04. My dad tried a '07 at a Ultimate Driving event on an auto-x track.

Did ya sample the new turbo engine? If you didn't like the 550i's interior, they've supposedly tweaked it a bit for '08 facelift. However, I think you'd have a better chance at finding a 335i of some sorts at the dealership since the '08 5er is very fresh and limited in stock.

Or if you want AWD, there's always the xi versions of many sedans and coupes and sport wagons. There will be a 335xi coupe coming out later this year. xDrive is terrific; I love its flexibility, quick reflexes, and fun-to-drive nature.

You could try a '07 X3, but the 6-speed automatic's programming is flawed. I've read many a thread on hesistation and laziness inherent with its programming (glad I have the 5-speed AT). The N52 engine with 260hp is welcome, but if you loved the way the older BMWs sounded, you'll be disappointed with this one.
Old 05-07-07, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
LOL I can probably give you a pretty damn accurate one even though mine's an 04. My dad tried a '07 at a Ultimate Driving event on an auto-x track.

Did ya sample the new turbo engine? If you didn't like the 550i's interior, they've supposedly tweaked it a bit for '08 facelift. However, I think you'd have a better chance at finding a 335i of some sorts at the dealership since the '08 5er is very fresh and limited in stock.

Or if you want AWD, there's always the xi versions of many sedans and coupes and sport wagons. There will be a 335xi coupe coming out later this year. xDrive is terrific; I love its flexibility, quick reflexes, and fun-to-drive nature.

You could try a '07 X3, but the 6-speed automatic's programming is flawed. I've read many a thread on hesistation and laziness inherent with its programming (glad I have the 5-speed AT). The N52 engine with 260hp is welcome, but if you loved the way the older BMWs sounded, you'll be disappointed with this one.
The 550, which I've reviewed, goes like stink. It has so much power (and an acceptably smooth ride) that, for most driving, I see little reason to spend the extra money for the harsher and only slightly faster M-Cars.

The X3, which I have not driven yet, supposedly had a VERY rough ride in the first few years.....BMW softened the suspension and tires a little from owner complaints,
Old 05-07-07, 04:41 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know when the new Pilot is due out? Honda is fairly closed mouth about some new cars so they can keep selling the nearly outdated ones.

I hear one place the end of this year as a 08 for the new Pilot but others say next year as a 09.

I'd prefer a Pilot version of the MDX for cheaper price, more room as well as a more traditional style, but I don't want to wait 1 full year for the next gen Pilot.

Last edited by rai; 05-07-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-07-07, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'll do more BMW reviews if there are requests and the vehicle is readily available at dealerships in my area. DASH, I'll put the X3 on my list.......probably in a couple of weeks.

Let's get back on topic. Any more comments on the new MDX or RDX?
Old 05-07-07, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
Does anyone know when the new Pilot is due out? Honda is fairly closed mouth about some new cars so they can keep selling the nearly outdated ones.

I hear one place the end of this year as a 08 for the new Pilot but other place say next year as a 09.

I'd prefer a Pilot version of the MDX for more box style and room as well as a more traditional style, but I don't want to wait 1 full year for the next gen Pilot.
I'm with you on a more squared-off MDX. One of the chief advantages of the Pilot over the MDX (among several) is that the Pilot has noticeably more room inside, and does not require the seat rake-back that the MDX does for tall people to clear the ceiling.
Old 05-07-07, 04:55 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Well, I haven't been in an MDX, but I did get into an RDX and wasn't impressed. The interior is dated, and there were a couple pieces around the door trim that were misaligned. It reminded me of a watered-down TL interior. Looks fancy especially with the neon blue instrument panel (I hate these, they blind me at night. My mom has a Civic and I dim it down to almost the lowest setting), but if you think about it carefully, there's too many buttons. Also, some plastic was scratched up, and the leather quality doesn't last. I thought it was assembled in Japan, but a closer look shows otherwise.

On the plus side, the seats felt pretty comfortable and IIRC the 2nd row does have a flat floor which makes it feel more spacious. And while the dash maybe a bit dated, figuring out the controls was easy as always.
Old 05-07-07, 05:11 PM
LexFather

Wow, great review again. I've seen a few on the road and I mistake them from Audi's at the rear, the new Suzuki from the side and the front scares me. Exterior styling aside, it seems to be a good SUV.

Again, great honest review.

Quick Reply: Review: 2007 Acura MDX