Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which daily beater should I buy?
Late 80's Prelude
8.70%
Early 90's MR2
34.78%
Corolla / Celica GTS - If I can find one?
34.78%
Other... let me know
21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Daily Driver Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07 | 09:32 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Default Daily Driver Needed

When I bought my GS, I originally hoped to turn it into a 2nd car so I can keep it clean with low miles. My goal with the car is to get it right, and then keep it for a long time.

So, with that said, I need a daily driver. I dont have a lot of cash at this point, just want something to get around town and to the office.

My choices are: late 80's prelude, early 90's MR2, Corolla or Celica GTS or something like that.

If you have had one of these cars, tell me what to look for and tell me about another car I havent thought of... Will probably be within the next 30-45 days.

My budget at this point is about $4K and so I know I will be dealing with a higher mileage car and something that (breathe)... wont be perfect... whew said it without passing out!!!
Old 05-06-07 | 09:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Corolla would probably be the safest buy of the bunch, reliability-wise, but would also be rather ho-hum and mundane to drive. If a good commuter car is all you want, that would be your best choice, and would also be a lot cheaper to insure than the other cars on that list.

The MR2 is fun to frive, but can be rather twitchy and unstable going in a straight line....with the heavy engine and transmission behind the driver, and little weight up front, my experience with MR2's is that they are darty and tend to wander left and right on a straight road....even though mid/rear-engine Porsches don't. Also, I've noticed that MR2 engines, particularly turbos, run hot because even with cooling slats and ducts, the engine doesn't get good airflow around it.

Preludes are generaly reliable, but stay away from the 4-wheel-steer ones. They are complex and expensive to repair.
Old 05-06-07 | 09:49 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter
CL Folding 1M

4k$?
1st generation LS400
Old 05-06-07 | 10:08 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

my friend's got a 93 MR2. he loves it. It's currently in shop in the process of getting a gen 2 JDM turbo engine dropped. Having said that, i wouldn't get it as a beater. i would keep that as the weekend car. w/ the engine in the rear, the rear tires supposedly run out pretty quick. I would go for the corolla. no frills but most likely no problems too.
Old 05-06-07 | 10:36 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

5 spd SC3!!!
Old 05-06-07 | 10:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Perfect opportunity to test a Hyundai or Kia.

When they were replacing the bumper on our LS, I had a Kia Sportage for 13 days. It drove fine, got reasonable mileage 23-24 MPG and was comfortable for us. For a non-descript car, it was fine... I was darn happy to turn it in though part of me did enjoy the anonymous nature it had.
Old 05-06-07 | 10:53 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

no, for 4K, only Hyundai or Kia that at least 3/4 years old, and they are NOT good!!! My client's 05 hyundai, she bought it for 11K, drove it for 2 yeas, and when she wants to trade it in, the dealer offered her 3K!!
Old 05-06-07 | 11:01 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

how about an eagle talon or elcipse? the turbo awd version.
Old 05-06-07 | 11:05 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Early '90s civic or accord.
Old 05-07-07 | 07:38 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Get a motorcycle

I suppose the Corolla will do its job well. However, are you absolutely sure you don't wanna be using the GS as a daily commuter? Because is there a reason you want to keep it low mileage? I say enjoy the car to the fullest and don't worry about the miles on the odo.

Oh, if you don't mind a convertible......you can get a Miata for that price. Those are reliable and fun to drive provided you don't mind a ragtop (requires periodic maintenance) and a manual.
Old 05-07-07 | 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipsp33d
how about an eagle talon or elcipse? the turbo awd version.
They can be fun to drive, but very unreliable.....some of the most poorly-built modern cars I've seen. Their quality level is roughly similiar to a late 80's-early 90's Hyundai.
Old 05-07-07 | 10:39 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
I suppose the Corolla will do its job well. However, are you absolutely sure you don't wanna be using the GS as a daily commuter? Because is there a reason you want to keep it low mileage? I say enjoy the car to the fullest and don't worry about the miles on the odo.

Oh, if you don't mind a convertible......you can get a Miata for that price. Those are reliable and fun to drive provided you don't mind a ragtop (requires periodic maintenance) and a manual.
I agree with both suggestions. Lexus age gracefully so I don't see a problem with having one with a bit higher miles. Enjoy the car to the fullest.
Old 05-07-07 | 11:25 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

HEhe Mr2, but yeah I'd like a 1st gen ls400
Old 05-07-07 | 02:24 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

i got a 1993 mr2 for a daily and its been good to me.

pros: fun to drive, reliable, great gas mileage

cons: cant really carry anything in it. usually expensive to fix if anything goes wrong. no cup holders (i know sport cars are not supposed to have any but i want one)

this was my daily but now I cant stop modding it
Old 05-07-07 | 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wolverine
i got a 1993 mr2 for a daily and its been good to me.

pros: fun to drive, reliable, great gas mileage

cons: cant really carry anything in it. usually expensive to fix if anything goes wrong. no cup holders (i know sport cars are not supposed to have any but i want one)

this was my daily but now I cant stop modding it
Ther are no cupholders in MR2's for a reason....although I think my friend's old 1994 Turbo DID have a couple. In general, the car rides too roughly for cupholders, and there's vibration from the engine right behind you.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Needed