Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Tripped Up by Middling Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Nissan Tripped Up by Middling Marketing

Nissan Tripped Up by Middling Marketing

Profits Drop for First Time in Eight Years as Sales Fall in Top Markets

By Jean Halliday

Published: May 07, 2007

DETROIT (AdAge.com) -- Nissan has lost its marketing magic. Nissan Motor Co. President-CEO Carlos Ghosn confessed at a recent Tokyo press conference that though the automaker's models are well-received by consumers, the Nissan and Infiniti names fall "somewhere in the middle of the pack" when it comes to brand strength. He seemed to be committing to a marketing push to solve the problem: "Building our brand power is critically important."

Indeed, brand perception is the differentiator when consumers select a Toyota or Honda over a Nissan, said Jesse Toprak, executive director-industry analysis at auto info site Edmunds.com. He said that because Nissan's image in recent years is more of sporty performance, the brand isn't as strong as the other two Japanese transplants.

And its marketing message, said Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research, "doesn't seem to be getting across" to consumers.

Falling behind
It's a big turnabout for a company that staged one of the industry's most dramatic comebacks following near-death in the late 1990s. Nissan posted its first profit drop in eight years for the fiscal year ended March 31 and saw vehicles sales fall in its two biggest markets: 4% to just over a million units in the U.S., and 12% to 740,000 units in Japan compared to the prior period.

Though it's still in the black, Nissan's profits were off 11% globally for the year and more than 50% in the last quarter.

Mr. Ghosn, who orchestrated the turnaround, blamed Nissan's current situation on lower prices, higher incentive spending and higher raw-material costs that could not be passed along to buyers.

The automaker got "an early wake-up call" from its latest financial results and feels a sense of urgency to "get past this bump," he said at the press conference. He predicted the current fiscal year will be better for Nissan as it readies launches for 11 products globally and pushes the Infiniti brand into China and the Ukraine.

Tough time for gas guzzlers
Like other carmakers, Nissan and Infiniti have been hurt by slowing interest in big SUVs, Mr. Torak said. In April, Nissan had its highest average incentives on the Armada SUV ($4,494 per unit), Murano crossover ($4,449) and Infiniti FX35 crossover ($4,392), Edmunds data show. Nissan's Altima hybrid had no incentives in April and the Versa entry-level small car averaged $262 per unit. But in the past 12 months, the average incentive on Nissan and Infiniti models was roughly $2,200 a vehicle -- $153 less than the industry average.

Lincoln Merrihew, senior VP of TNS Automotive, cites a disconnect between Nissan's U.S. advertising, themed "Shift 2.0" and introduced last summer, and its new models, including the Versa, redone Sentra, redesigned Quest minivan and Maxima sedan. TBWA/Chiat/Day, Playa del Rey, Calif., handles both Nissan and Infiniti.

While the Versa and Sentra are the right cars for times of higher gas prices, they 'aren't as earth-shattering' as the Z sports car or last-generation Altima sedan (2008 model shown above), said Lincoln Merrihew, senior VP of TNS Automotive.

Performance perception
Nissan spent $167 million in measured media (sans outdoor) in January and February of this year and $943 million in calendar 2006, a drop of 7.9% over 2005, according to TNS Media Intelligence. But Mr. Spinella said that when Nissan's ad message does break through with consumers, their takeaway is mainly about performance.

CNW's consumer feedback on the evolved campaign found that only 19% of men and 18% of women could correctly identify the Nissan brand and the 2.0 tag. Before seeing the ads, 14% of men and almost 17% of women said they'd consider buying a Nissan. After seeing the ads, 16% of men and the same share of females said they'd consider a Nissan.

"The products are probably better than the perception," Mr. Spinella said. "But perceptions rule."
Source : http://adage.com/article?article_id=116548
Old 05-08-07, 09:09 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I agree that marketing is the reason for so many problems. The fact that the name is percieved as middle of the road may have something to do with the fact that Infiniti's best seller is a car in the entry level category, than it does marketing. When your flagship is.. well honestly I can't even finish this sentace because I don't even know if they sell Q45's anymore? Carlos, do you think a simple marketing push is going to help your brand power when people think.... 760Li, S65 AMG, A8L W12, LS600h, Quattrosporte... Q45?? Get what I'm saying? M35/45 is a great car, but I see at least 6 new GS's for every Infiniti M's down here in South Florida. They need a credible flag-ship that will be the first Infiniti in recent years to have a higher quality interior materials than a Barbie Powerwheels Jeep.
Old 05-09-07, 04:07 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I partially agree with you, Faraaz. Marketing is not the end-all, be-all of Nissan's problems. Perhaps Carlos needs to realize that the reason they are perceived as middle-of-the-road is because they are middle-of-the-road in so many ways.

But every carmaker's best-seller is their least expensive model--that's just simply supply and demand. And if they had the product to truly back it up, a snappy marketing campaign would indeed help break their image out of the doldrums.
Old 05-09-07, 05:58 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Part of their reason not only marketing is the quality. Since the 2002 Altima was introduced almost every car they made has fallen in quality too with the exception of the new M, Altima, and G. Each time I see the current Pathfinder's interior compared with my 02 it looks like a huge step down, and it's not any roomier either. Also the prices on some of their cars are pretty steep compared with the competition.