Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche officially releases 911 Turbo Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 11:01 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Porsche officially releases 911 Turbo Cabriolet

Stuttgart - Porsche AG, Stuttgart, Germany, will be sending the new 911 Turbo Cabriolet to the starting line on September 8. The 20-year tradition within the 911 Series of the 911 Turbo with a classic soft top is continued with this open, top model. Firstly, the open 2+2 seater offers the driving performance of a high-performance sports car while still providing convertible driving pleasure. Secondly, compared to the competition the 911 Turbo Cabriolet is economical in its fuel consumption, thanks to its deliberate design, outstanding aerodynamics and advanced engine technology

As with the 911 Turbo Coupé, the Cabriolet will also be powered by a 3.6 liter six-cylinder 'boxer' engine with biturbo turbocharging and Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG). The powerplant already generates 480 hp (353 kW) and 620 Nm of torque at 1950 rpm. With the new, optional "Sport hrono Turbo Package", which includes an overboost function, up to 680 Nm is even intermittently possible. The manual transmission version can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in just four seconds. With Tiptronic S the time can be cut to 3.8 seconds. Both versions can reach speeds of up to 310 km/h. Fuel consumption for the 911 Turbo Cabriolet is 12.9 liters per 100 kilometers - an exemplary value in the competitive environment.

In spite of the convertible-specific reinforcement of the chassis and automatic and the extendable rollover protection behind the rear seats, the open version of the 911 Turbo only weighs 70 kilos more than the Coupé. The light, three-layer soft top, which can completely automatically be opened or closed in roughly 20 seconds, enables a low balance point.

Together with the running gear that is tuned to convertible-specific needs, which includes the active suspension system Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) as standard equipment, the new 911 Turbo Cabriolet offers the sporting driving performance typical for a Porsche 911 as well as extremely high driving safety together with appealing driving characteristics. The driving stability control Porsche Stability Management (PSM) and the managed all-wheel drive Porsche Traction Management (PTM) also contribute to its uncommon performance. The system with an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch can, according to the requirements, alternatively shift the drive output from the engine between the front and rear axles, and - with shift intervals of a maximum of 100 milliseconds - quicker than the reaction of the engine to load changes.

With a drag coefficient of Cw=0.31, the 911 Turbo Cabriolet travels at the level of the coupé models. Together with the rear spoiler, which automatically extends at speeds from 120 km/h - extending 30 mm further than with the Coupé, the vehicle is the only standard series convertible that generates negative lift at the rear axle. Along with its passive safety systems, including six airbags as standard equipment and the comprehensive rollover protection system - with steel tubing integrated into the windshield frame and an extendable rollover protection behind the rear seats - the 911 Turbo Cabriolet also fulfils all legal requirements for passive safety applicable in the worldwide sales markets. Furthermore, it is equipped with one the most high-performance brake systems. The six-cylinder fixed-brake caliper up front stems from the Porsche Carrera GT. Upon request, the race-proven and light Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) ceramic brake system is also available for the 911 Turbo Cabriolet.

Also included in the extensive standard series equipment of the 911 Turbo Cabriolet are Bi-Xenon headlights, 19 inch forged wheels with two-tone appearance, an air conditioner, the wind deflector, the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) - with the navigation module and 5.8 inch color monitor and the Bose Surround Sound System, among other things. The basic price in euro for the Turbo Cabriolet is EUR 126,600. In Germany the price is EUR 150,862 (including VAT and country-specific requirement.
Old 05-08-07, 11:19 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not really a big fan of verts but I must say, it does look nice in that brown color!
Old 05-08-07, 11:36 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOVE those wheels.

Not to big on that brown color though.

I think Porsche needs to update its classic headlight design.

The rounded look is OK I guess, I mean I understand, it's heritage and history.. but they need to do something to make them look more modern despite the circular look. Maybe some new housing inside with LED driving lights or something...?
Old 05-08-07, 11:39 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Beautiful would look even better in silver,black, or gunmetal.
Old 05-08-07, 01:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks real good, Porches knows how to make them looks good and classy!!
I , personlly like the Brown color, but white is more appeal to me...
Old 05-08-07, 01:04 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd still get the coupe, but they do look very nice.
Old 05-08-07, 01:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woooowww Waaa Waaa Wee Warrrr!
Old 05-08-07, 01:13 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Time to trade in th SC. Not big on the style of the wheels but the rest is pure lust.
Old 05-08-07, 01:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice , but I much prefer the coupe
Old 05-08-07, 01:51 PM
LexFather

I actually like the turbo looks better on that for now. Wow, the brown/brown is niiiiice

Old 05-08-07, 02:22 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

911 Turbo is an unbelievable machine. I like many others would
take the Coupe (if I could afford one)

Haha, if I sell my house I might be able to afford a Carrera 4S...
Old 05-08-07, 02:28 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Seize
I'm not really a big fan of verts but I must say, it does look nice in that brown color!
+1

being a purist when it comes to porsche, Turbo and convertible do not belong together

but the brown does look nice, matches very well with the interior
Old 05-08-07, 03:40 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

I am not sure about that brown color but thats sexy.
Old 05-08-07, 09:53 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, please.
Old 05-08-07, 11:29 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

damn fast and a convertible my kind of car

Quick Reply: Porsche officially releases 911 Turbo Cabriolet