Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is It Now or Never for Audi ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 11:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Two years and no problems?? Wow...that's great! Either you got that 1 out of 10 that is okay or it's a ticking time bomb. Good luck.
Just a tad of an exaggeration.

You're saying 90% are not ok and the other 10% are ticking time bombs.
Old 05-11-07, 12:20 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

My two Audis have been flawless, my A6 for the last two years and my A4 for the last year or so. The new Audis have improved in reliability immensly over the last few years.
Old 05-11-07, 12:27 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
Got it off the show room floor (Leased) I'm not brave enough to keep one of these past the warranty.
In this case, it's a good thing to be scared....

Long-term Audis can be nightmares, but maybe that's in the past. I'm not willing to be the guinea pig though, as much as I like they're styling and interiors....and they ride nice.

But all in all, if I'm going to "risk it", I'm buying a Bimmer.
Old 05-11-07, 01:01 PM
Milla...

Originally Posted by KevinGS
In this case, it's a good thing to be scared....

Long-term Audis can be nightmares, but maybe that's in the past. I'm not willing to be the guinea pig though, as much as I like they're styling and interiors....and they ride nice.

But all in all, if I'm going to "risk it", I'm buying a Bimmer.

Speaking of long term, I have a friend who had an 02' A6 4.2 had turbo problems, tranny went out, and various misc electrical issues all around 150K miles, but I sure loved riding in it.

When my lease is up, i dunno I may get another, although I've been tempted to test drive that Maserati Quattroporte.
Old 05-11-07, 05:51 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The new 2.0Ts are really good engines and great transmissions. A4s and S4s are a bit overpriced new, but everything else is good. I love our A8L.
Old 05-11-07, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

We all know, for example, that the Mercedes ML320 was a DISASTER from a quality standpoint at first. And no doubt that hurt Mercedes reputation a LOT. But I don't hear about problems with new ones now.

Mercedes made a lot more junk than just the ML's, bit. And while it is true that new ML's are not as bad as the original ones, they still rank down almost at the bottom of the auto reliability lists.

Audis, in reliablity, range from average to worse-then average, according to Consumer Reports, depending on model.
Old 05-12-07, 07:15 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The new 2.0Ts are really good engines and great transmissions. A4s and S4s are a bit overpriced new, but everything else is good. I love our A8L.
I don't know how long you've had yours but, curious, have you guys had any issues with your remote trunk release yet?
Old 05-12-07, 08:14 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how long you've had yours but, curious, have you guys had any issues with your remote trunk release yet?
We bought ours last summer and I've been away at university, so I don't get to see it very often but I don't know of any issues. The only time it saw the dealer was to get new software downloaded for the airbag system or something.
Old 05-12-07, 09:38 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm saying that based on my limited experience, I see problems. My co-worker HAD one (I begged him to get rid of it), a neighbor had 2, some friends of friends had problems. They seem to be fine the first couple of years then when they start having problems, they really have them. Beyond belief. It's like dope, they are so good at first you keep looking for that original high but you really never achieve the same sensation ever again. You keep trying, wasting time and money but end up disappointed. At least with Benz the problems start relatively soon. Audi fools you. Just like dope.
Old 05-12-07, 10:18 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Speaking of long term, I have a friend who had an 02' A6 4.2 had turbo problems, tranny went out, and various misc electrical issues all around 150K miles, but I sure loved riding in it.

When my lease is up, i dunno I may get another, although I've been tempted to test drive that Maserati Quattroporte.
Sorry A6 4.2's do NOT have turbos.
Old 05-19-07, 09:13 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mavericck
Sorry A6 4.2's do NOT have turbos.
Yup, that was the problem!
Old 05-20-07, 05:38 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I despise VWs and I despise Audis. Unreliable German junk IMO. And the Audi NAV system is TERRIBLY klunky, unintuitive, and painfully slow and tedious to use - so much so that it's almost unusable. No touch screen and you must dial letters by ****? WTF?

Last edited by Gekko; 05-20-07 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-20-07, 12:50 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gekko
I despise VWs and I despise Audis. Unreliable German junk IMO. And the Audi NAV system is TERRIBLY klunky, unintuitive, and painfully slow and tedious to use - so much so that it's almost unusable. No touch screen and you must dial letters by ****? WTF?
One of the most ignorant and biased posts I have ever read on this forum....
Old 05-20-07, 08:19 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
One of the most ignorant and biased posts I have ever read on this forum....
tell us how reliable they are and how user-friendly their NAV systems are.
Old 05-20-07, 10:08 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gekko
tell us how reliable they are and how user-friendly their NAV systems are.
I am an owner of 3 German cars (2 Audi's 1 Porsche) and they have been completely reliable, easy to use, and a lot more fun to drive than my wife's Lexus. If you find the MMI system difficult to use then I don't believe the problem lies in the design but rather the intelligence of the user. In fact I find my A6's NAV is actually more efficient at directing me to a destination than the LS's NAV, The LS has on 3 different ocassions made me go 15 miles off course to reach a destination that my Audi's would never have done to me. I bet you have never even extensively driven or tested a new Audi, much less owned one. So I really don't see how any reasonable person can put any credence in what you say and agree with your opinion.

Quick Reply: Is It Now or Never for Audi ?