Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is It Now or Never for Audi ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 05:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Voice commands are as lame as they get. First of all, they never work right, and espcially for people that speak with an accent like myself, they are just about useless. I don't have patience for them, and I would it just feels weird trying to talk to your car.
Not true, the voice command in my GX works very very well with a 95% accuracy rate at the least. I do not have an accent though. Others that own voice command seem to be hit and miss but again I have no idea what langauge they are using when trying to talk to it. I did read somewhere where someone complained their car did not understand Spanish. I suppose my voice is more compatible with the computers. But, some things are best left to the hands. Why press a button to activate voice command just to tell it to turn up the volume when one button does that in itself.
Old 05-21-07, 05:50 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Voice commands are as lame as they get. First of all, they never work right, and espcially for people that speak with an accent like myself, they are just about useless. I don't have patience for them, and I would it just feels weird trying to talk to your car.
When I test drove the new G35 yesterday the voice command worked really well, both for me and the salesman with a thick russian accent. The best part about it is being able to use it to program the nav destination while moving. I say thats safer than reaching for the screen. Not sure if the Lexus one can do that, I've never tried.
Old 05-21-07, 06:00 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
Sorry A6 4.2's do NOT have turbos.
some did actually, they were RS6's though . TT 4.2
Old 05-21-07, 06:37 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Iceman
Looks: Yes, Audi produces some handsome and distinctive designs. Their interiors are widely regarded as the best-executed in the business.

Performance: Yes, despite the lackluster entry-level models (and let's face it, every manufacturer has 'em), they've got some cars with really impressive acceleration, handling, and braking numbers.

Reliability: No matter what the numbers say, they do have an uphill climb regarding market perceptions. It will take several years of rock-solid production to make a dent in that.

Customer Service: Interestingly, no one commented on my previous post in this thread about how Audi lost my $120K to Lexus because of a rude salesman. To be taken seriously in this country the entire experience has to be superior, not just the product. Maybe I had an unusually bad experience, but I'll never find out otherwise because Audi lost their one chance to win me over.
HBL? Not surprising then. I wouldn't let one person (or many people) at one dealership turn you off a whole brand, though.
Old 05-21-07, 06:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
Looks: Yes, Audi produces some handsome and distinctive designs. Their interiors are widely regarded as the best-executed in the business.

Performance: Yes, despite the lackluster entry-level models (and let's face it, every manufacturer has 'em), they've got some cars with really impressive acceleration, handling, and braking numbers.

Reliability: No matter what the numbers say, they do have an uphill climb regarding market perceptions. It will take several years of rock-solid production to make a dent in that.

Customer Service: Interestingly, no one commented on my previous post in this thread about how Audi lost my $120K to Lexus because of a rude salesman. To be taken seriously in this country the entire experience has to be superior, not just the product. Maybe I had an unusually bad experience, but I'll never find out otherwise because Audi lost their one chance to win me over.
I haven't been to the Audi dealer many times but when I have, I have been ignored 100%.

Old 05-21-07, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I haven't been to the Audi dealer many times but when I have, I have been ignored 100%.
Not surprising. (certainly nothing against you, though )
Many dealerships of upmarket German brands ( not all, by any means) tend to be snobby if you don't look or act the role of the type of customer they're looking for. In this area, a number of those German dealerships have become somewhat better in the last few years...but that may not be the case in the Atlanta area.
Old 05-21-07, 07:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was at an Audi dealership a few months ago and when it was mentioned that we own a Lexus, the sales manager had the gall to insult Lexus in front of us, "we are a pure brand, blah blah blah."

Talk about a way NOT to get a new customer.

Liked the A8 interior though. If they had a touchscreen it would be nearly perfect.
Old 05-21-07, 08:20 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
I was at an Audi dealership a few months ago and when it was mentioned that we own a Lexus, the sales manager had the gall to insult Lexus in front of us, "we are a pure brand, blah blah blah."

Talk about a way NOT to get a new customer.

Liked the A8 interior though. If they had a touchscreen it would be nearly perfect.
Haha, it's not even true.
Old 05-22-07, 04:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

And how does he define a "pure" brand? Audi is as intertwined with VW as Lexus is with Toyota.

You guys let salespeople get away with too much bull-******. When they try that crap with me, I point out their errors (though, of course, I'm not always 100% correct myself) . Most of them end up respecting me for it.
Old 05-22-07, 04:19 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You guys let salespeople get away with too much bull-******.
That's just it--I don't. I simply take my money elsewhere. In egregious cases I will walk right up to the sales manager or GM and tell them that Johnny Bagodonuts just cost them a sale, and describe the rude behavior. 100% of the time I've done that, the manager has started in with a "Let us earn your business" spiel, but that falls on deaf ears. The first words I want to hear out of his/her mouth are "I'm sorry."
Old 05-22-07, 05:13 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even mind the lack of a touchscreen because the screen is so far away from the driver you couldn't touch it safely anyway.

And about salesmen, most of them don't know s--t. I love knowing more than them and pointing it out. But the key way to get respect from German car salesmen a lot of the time is to show them you have the money to be there. Honestly, I'd rather have more aloof salesmen like them than the ones at my local Lexus dealer. They're all old men, won't go away when I want them to, pushy, etc. Some people like that, I don't.

Last edited by krazykanuk; 05-22-07 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-22-07, 07:56 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by mavericck
Sorry A6 4.2's do NOT have turbos.
Hmmm must have been something else then because he surely had a 4.2

Anywho I've gotten use to my Audi Nav, once I figured it out. Its like any other electronic be it car gizmos or home, once you get past the learning curve it becomes second nature and its no problem.
Old 05-22-07, 08:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Milla...
Hmmm must have been something else then because he surely had a 4.2

Anywho I've gotten use to my Audi Nav, once I figured it out. Its like any other electronic be it car gizmos or home, once you get past the learning curve it becomes second nature and its no problem.
It might be the 2.6 TT V-6...The 4.2 is the V-8...

Old 05-22-07, 11:27 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It might be the 2.6 TT V-6...The 4.2 is the V-8...
actually its 2.7 L, but who's counting

I've heard you can get some pretty good power out of those motors by reflashing the ECU.