Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another 328i question, this time for a 16 year old

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 07:55 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTI? I know it's kinda played out among teenagers, but there's gotta be a reason why that's so... Never actually driven one myself, IIRC, but they have a great rep as a hoot to drive and it's a hatch so you still have room to haul some crap. I'd lease if I were you (lease = never put any money down).
Old 05-09-07, 08:14 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

ok, ill look at the gti...im really starting to like these rx-8's though.

my dad actually drives a tribute haha he leased it a while ago, before that he had a miata, so i know both cars suck but he likes mazda, thats why i think i might be able to work an rx8.

to be fair, he does have a boxter in the garage

and no, im not asain haha
Old 05-09-07, 08:27 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vince1128
ok, ill look at the gti...im really starting to like these rx-8's though.

my dad actually drives a tribute haha he leased it a while ago, before that he had a miata, so i know both cars suck but he likes mazda, thats why i think i might be able to work an rx8.

to be fair, he does have a boxter in the garage

and no, im not asain haha
RX-8 is cool, too. It's just it might be a pain since you have to warm it up well every time you start and shut it off, or else the engine floods. Plus it's a little small/cramped, and I'm assuming you want to have friends and stuff in your car with you every now and then. And it's a nicer car than your dad's tribute, and you probably shouldn't "one up" him.

No one is asain, btw...
Old 05-09-07, 08:31 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RX-8 is a good sports car but with sports car tendencies:

*The warm-up caution mentioned above

*very high premium fuel consumption

*Do you really want to rev 5k all the time? No torque by the way.

*Sports suspension

I wouldn't use one as a city car or a travel car. Weekends only for the RX-8.
Old 05-09-07, 09:09 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I think you should get a manual scion tc for about 3000 down and 300 per month you could own one in 4 years. Then with the money you have saved invest it in the stock market or buy a rental property. I think it is a bad move to put all of your money into a lease because you loose the whole amount when its over and you have nothing to show for it.
Old 05-09-07, 09:11 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

what is the exhaust note like on one? stock and then aftermarket? it doesnt sound like a modded civic does it?
Old 05-09-07, 09:20 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusFiend
I think you should get a manual scion tc for about 3000 down and 300 per month you could own one in 4 years. Then with the money you have saved invest it in the stock market or buy a rental property. I think it is a bad move to put all of your money into a lease because you loose the whole amount when its over and you have nothing to show for it.
Buy a rental property? He said he'll have like $7k.
Old 05-09-07, 10:08 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Buy a rental property? He said he'll have like $7k.
I should have wrote save for a rental property ... basically, it would be better imo to not put all of ones net worth into a car.
Old 05-10-07, 10:12 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep your sc.
Old 05-10-07, 10:15 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

remember

be cool, stay in school
Old 05-10-07, 11:05 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was 16 once... also saved for and purchased my own car. While the temptation to get a nicer/newer car was great, at that time there weren't great financing options for high school kids working 30 hours per week (what I needed to do to have insurance/gas/maintenance money, and fix-up my car).

Don't forget, with a lease, you'll have to GIVE THAT CAR BACK in 24-36 months or re-finance it to purchase it. So, you'll be 19 and perhaps in college- the LAST thing you want to do in college is work 40 hours per week (as I did) to pay your bills. A three-year lease can turn into an eight year commitment if you opt to purchase the car. I'm a car guy at heart, but I don't let my hobby/habit consume me financially.

Personally, I think the SC is a fine car for a teenager, certainly much better than what I had growing up. Even better, you OWN it, and nobody can take that away from you. I know the pressures these days to have a nicer car than the other guy, but ultimately none of that crap matters. Focus on school and what you want to do with your life. I was in my late 20s before I figured it out!
Old 05-10-07, 11:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At age 16, I owned and operated a 10 speed bicycle only... Fortunate young man you are.
Old 05-10-07, 11:27 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Vince I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money but you have a nice SC why would you want to have put 6000 down on a car as a sophomore in HS. Why would you want a $300 car payment as a 16 year old. When your ready to go to College (I hope) you wish you didn't have no $300 car note plus that 6g could go a whole lot more places than a down payment.
Old 05-10-07, 11:42 AM
Seadee456
Driver

It's your money and you can do with it however you'd like but if I were you, I'd keep the SC if it's running fine. At your age and income, there are more important things to spend you money on including college or investments. At 16, my first car was a 1992 Honda Accord and I'm sure you already drive a better first car than most of the people on here. The Accord was the only thing I could afford at the time but now at 24, I'm driving an RX330. Just think about what you could be driving in the future if you save your money and pass on the Beemer today. Thats just my 2 cents.
Old 05-10-07, 12:12 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Vince, the reason I said $6000 is crazy is because a lease is basically a long-term rental. You're putting A WHOLE LOT of money that you earned and saved into a rental that you'll have to give back... and that 6,000 will be gone. You can opt to buy-out at the end of the lease, but this will end up being more expensive in the long run because you'll have to finance the residual value of it then. If you purchase a car outright, that 6,000 will be some equity that you can still get back when you sell the vehicle.

If you want to lease, inquire if you would be able to do a multiple-security deposit program. My sis did $0 down, but $3700 in multiple security deposits. It lowered her payment on the IS250AWD lease payment from about $560 or $580 to $452. And with that, she gets the $3700 back at the end of the lease term.

And as someone said, you'll be 19 when the lease is done, then you have to think about buying it out or getting another car. I'm only 23, so I wasn't in college that long ago... and trust me... i'd rather have money in college to eat pizza (you'll get sick of cafeteria food QUICK), go to a movie, or get a beer. Remember girlfriends can be hella expensive too ;-)

And about the Civic Si, I was just looking into one myself. I read on some forums that HFNA has horrible money factors on them right now... to the point that leasing an Acura TSX is just SLIGHTLY more per month.

Have you considered a Mazda3? They are supposed to be the "poor mans 3-series." Not as quick, but the chassis is EXCELLENT for a lil front driver.

Quick Reply: Another 328i question, this time for a 16 year old