Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another 328i question, this time for a 16 year old

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 01:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A BMW for a 16 year old is of course doable, but it isn't the wisest choice.

Insurance is the thing that people should always be aware of. $300 a month for a car note is not bad. $500 a month for insurance is definately not good! I know of a lot of younger drivers who are paying that much for a BMW or Lexus...

To decrease insurance costs for a teen driver, it is best to meet three things:
a) four-door sedan
b) V4 or I4 (naturally aspirated upon purchase)
c) lots of safety features such as airbags, ABS, vehicle stability, etc.

The Bimmer definately meets two of the three cost-saving criteria. However, expect insurance to double because it is a luxury car, and it does have an I6.

If all should be fair, let the 16 year old pay for insurance alone. They'll soon realize that a car note and gas is not the main money hole -- it's the insurance!
Old 05-10-07, 01:53 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think insurance is a huge problem. More importantly, rates have to deal with the risk level of a particular vehicle. A 4 cyl RSX is one of the most expensive vehicles to insure out there, and for good reason.

FYI: when asking for a quote from our insurnace company, a used BMW would have cost less to insure than a new Honda Civic sedan.
Old 05-10-07, 03:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vince1128
Ive been looking online and one car thats really been impressing me is the RX-8....wow, anyone have opinions on these?
for the record, im not into civics too much....but ill look at em
Guy here at work has one. Never had a flooding problem (I think that was corrected a long time ago). LOVES the car - he actually learned out to drive stick on it and let me tell you, there are easier cars to learn on. Unfortunately (for him), I got to go with him to pick it up and got to drive it home from the dealer. The car is one of the best handling machines I've ever driven. The reving required to get power is not a big deal as the engine is just so darn smooth.

He has had zero issues with it other than the recalls. Yes, has to add oil every now and then and does not get great mileage, but as I said, HE LOVES THE CAR!!!!
Old 05-10-07, 03:44 PM
LexFather

C&D picked the 328 over the new G35. 328 is more than enough car for a 16 year old.

Old 05-10-07, 04:06 PM
l4wr3nc3
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Money seems kinda like a factor since your still young. I say go for a used e46 ZHP. I would honestly take a e46 ZHP over a new 328 anyday.
Old 05-10-07, 04:17 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

man your lucky well i guess im lucky too i got my sc when i was 15... people were jealous but eh its a lexus lol
Old 05-10-07, 05:13 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

i appreciate all the responses but why is 6000 down crazy? it lowers the payment to the point i could afford it without my parents freaking out
I have been going through a similar situation myself recently (with slightly more expensive BMW and trade-in vehicle). What you have to keep in mind is that although, you fit into the payment amount, the only reason you do so is because of that $6000 (that you are expecting to get from the SC sale). The lease is going to be for 36 months. After that, you've got 2 choices: buy a used car that you've been leasing, or walk away. When you walk away, you walk away with nothing - no car, no money, since there is nothing to trade in or sell. So, from a pure financial point of view, it does not make sense. You already have a car (regardless of whether it is a Lexus or not) that you can keep driving for these 3 years and beyond, probably (if it is in decent shape).

Of course, not everything in life is about money (provided you have it ), so if you think that you can afford and are willing to buy this BMW 3 at the end of the lease, go ahead. Good luck!
Old 05-10-07, 06:53 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

wow, thanks for all the responses, didnt expect that many. anyways, i was thinking about it today and the rx-8 sounds like a blast to drive, but it could just be me, i think it looks a little bit girly. some other cars ive been thinking about are the audi a4, 350z, and wrx sti. out of them i think the z looks the best but i know it will be the least favorite of my parents.

I hear what some of you guys have been saying about keeping the sc for a little while. I know this is sad but litterally i think about cars (and girls) all day long. there is not one minute honestly im not thinking about what type of car to get, how to pay for it, all the specs, everything! Its pretty much my life and I honestly wouldnt mind (in highschool anyways) dumping all my money in a car, i would actually prefer that.

A question about leasing though: is it going to be a lot more per month to own it?
my dad likes leasing because he considers it delaying the decision. he says you can make the payments on it and at the end just pay the final amount in cash, or give it back if you dont like it, but you should just buy and then sell privately b/c dealers will give you a good deal on what you've already had. i understand though for someones post that at the end you have to refinance if you dont wish to pay in cash and you want to keep it, so i guess i see how it could be bad there.

next, insurance wouldnt be that bad, because it would go on my moms plan, and i would be a secondary driver. on her highlander that she used to have i wouldve been 1400/year(granted thats not a bmw, but still).
is this correct?im paying about 2000 a year for liability now, so i think it would remain the same with collision.
does anyone know if i have to be a primary driver on one car, so people cant get away with this?

im reading c&d right now and it actually has a comparo of the cars i was talking about, what are the chances? it says the rx8 is not loud and that it guzzles gas like a private jet. im guessing this is because of the 9000rpm redline? plus its rwd and has lsd, so thats cool. i guess i would prefer the 350z, but the bad part is no back seat... sometimes i need that space (the extremely tiny space) in my sc. thats what i love about the new improved audi tt. thats a great looking, fast, 4 seater coupe. could never afford it though probably. anyone know of great lease deals on these?

sry for all the questions, but once again, this IS my life
Old 05-10-07, 08:42 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

added another car to the list: g35
Old 05-10-07, 08:52 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

added another car to the list: g35
That might be a good car to ****** off the used market. Nissans tend to depreciate rather rapidly, hence it's not hard to find a good cheap deal on a late model G35. However, its not as refined nor as balanced as a BMW. However, I'm not going to start a G35 versus 3-series debate, so pick what you feel best suits your wants.
Old 05-11-07, 01:43 AM
l4wr3nc3
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Im telling you, used bmw e46 330 zhp . If you dont know anything about it, look it up.
Old 05-11-07, 04:08 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
RX-8 is cool, too. It's just it might be a pain since you have to warm it up well every time you start and shut it off, or else the engine floods.
There's a software fix for this now so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.
Old 05-11-07, 06:04 AM
LexFather

I'll be honest, a lil concerned with the cars being offered to a 16 yr old who has no experience behind the wheel. We post nearly monthly some kids in a BMW who killed themselves.

I suggest some driving courses as well as buying the 328.

Old 05-11-07, 06:11 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 367 Likes on 253 Posts

get something cheap man!! Save your money for college!! being a not broke college kid is so much more fun than being a broke college kid!
Old 05-11-07, 07:49 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

forget what you're putting down, or monthly payments. Always look at the overall price regardless of whether you're leasing or buying

Quick Reply: Another 328i question, this time for a 16 year old