Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi A4 Commercial: The Luxury Car For People Who Can Park Themselves ... (merged )

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 12:02 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The A4 is the size of a Civic. Part of luxury is SIZE. To compare the A4 to the LS is a stretch...
It wasn't comparing the A4 to the LS. It was simply taking a gut shot at a technology/feature that's just plain silly.

And I disagree about the comments stating that the Audis aren't "luxurious". Audi is well known for having some of the highest quality interiors out there.

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Funny, but very rude and "in your face".
Rude and in your face?
Old 05-10-07, 12:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

making fun of #1 selling Luxury brand? Only ze germans can do that, and lowest selling germans as well :-).

Audi can be luxury for sure... But it can also be FWD 4cly as well...
Old 05-10-07, 12:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It depends on which Audi you get. I agree, at the fully-optioned level, they are among the best out there. But having test-driven a base A6, and then sat in a better-optioned one, I found the difference to be quite significant. Wood trim makes a huge difference!

A 'gut shot' etc. is kinda 'in your face' -- so is swerving into a parking spot like that. If you're not careful, that could be very dangerous.

Actually I would say that kinda driving is just plain silly, far more so than using the APGS.

But hey, you have to hand it to Audi for trying to make a statement. However those focus-group tested slogans are no where near 'The Pursuit of Perfection' or 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' -- previously it was...

"Never Follow" ?

and now

"Truth in Engineering"?
Old 05-10-07, 01:00 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Audi is just being a hater.
Old 05-10-07, 01:02 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

if anything it's givin Lexus some more air time like someone else mentioned. it's all good, they know who they're up against and if they feel the need to do that they will. I dont think Lexus would do that, they've always focused on their product and how it's different or caters to a different market.
Old 05-10-07, 01:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma888
I read online that this ad may be pulled for encouraging risky driving.

It's funny, first Hyundai and now Audi are reacting to the Lexus parking ad. Hehe. And in both cases the LS 460 gets some nice screentime. Even if the commercial is kinda crass.
What would really make my day is if BMW or Benz took a shot a Lexus in a commercial ... the irony would be indescribable .
Old 05-10-07, 01:24 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
A 'gut shot' etc. is kinda 'in your face' -- so is swerving into a parking spot like that. If you're not careful, that could be very dangerous.

Actually I would say that kinda driving is just plain silly, far more so than using the APGS.
I don't think they were seriously insinuating that that's how you should park your Audi. The only point was to say "our cars are fun to drive and capable of driving, which > AGPS gizmos"

The very fact that you appear to believe that Audi wants people to park their Audi that way is probably the very reason why apparently Audi might have to pull this ad - people are taking it too literally.
Old 05-10-07, 01:51 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't park a vehicle yourself, you really shouldn't be driving. End of story. Same goes for the lane-change warning crap. If you cannot pay attention, you shouldn't drive.

Unfortunately, more and more people cannot park or stay in lanes. The sad byproduct of lax licensing regulations in the US
Old 05-10-07, 03:26 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha, thats awesome
Old 05-10-07, 03:29 PM
LexFather

Wow another ad tauting Lexus parking tech, the Hyundai ad being the other.
I thought it was funny, I still like Audi's and we all know how arrogant the German companies can be.

Old 05-10-07, 04:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
I don't think they were seriously insinuating that that's how you should park your Audi. The only point was to say "our cars are fun to drive and capable of driving, which > AGPS gizmos"

The very fact that you appear to believe that Audi wants people to park their Audi that way is probably the very reason why apparently Audi might have to pull this ad - people are taking it too literally.
True about how it may get pulled. However I do not for a minute believe that Audi is showing how to park its cars there. Not for a minute, I realize this is an ad and it's a stunt driver or CGI etc.

Regarding it getting pulled, I read that on one of the advertising sites. That said, this parking trick that they use is more of a stunt/gimmick than APGS. It requires real trickery and special skill, whereas the APGS is certified for real world use, like it or not.

Audi of course is free to claim their cars are more fun to drive, it makes for an interesting debate. Parking, not so much.
Old 05-10-07, 04:52 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was only paying attention at the 2 lexuses ( expecially the 460 ) the whole time...
Lexus does look better than Audi..
Old 05-10-07, 05:06 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HHAHAHA They put what, an Is 350 and a ls460 in there?
Old 05-10-07, 05:42 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Gotta love the fact that this all takes place between two Lexus vehicles: and LS460 and what looks to be an IS. LOL! Good job... all those of you bent out of shape about it... relax... it's just good tv.
Old 05-10-07, 06:08 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by texan629
What about global sales?
True, Audi is #3 globally, Lexus #4.

(Audi, 17.8 percent; and Lexus, 9.9 percent.)

Audi is doing well in Europe, and China IIRC, while Lexus is charging ahead along with the other rivals in certain markets; in Australia Lexus overtook Audi last year for the #3 spot, and is now #1 in South Korea and Taiwan, not to mention on track to compete favorably in Japan. Of course, when it comes to the biggest luxury market, the US, Audi's sales are next to Infiniti's, meaning that there is potential to move up.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 Commercial: The Luxury Car For People Who Can Park Themselves ... (merged )