Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota FT-HS to debut in 2009(Toyota exec says FT-HS could be ‘Supra of the future’ )

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 09:31 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota FT-HS to debut in 2009(Toyota exec says FT-HS could be ‘Supra of the future’ )

I love this coupe. Please Toyota, don't change a thing. I want the whole concept as is. Well maybe with an actual steering wheel and a gas filler hole but that's about it. I have my money ready!! Now when do you start taking deposit?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/t...oming-in-2009/

Official FT-HS page:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/fths.html

Report: Toyota FT-HS coming in 2009

The June '07 print edition of Automobile is full of juicy information, and one of the more significant bits of news appears in a sidebar on page 30. According to the magazine, Toyota has given the FT-HS hybrid sports car the green light, and the Calty-designed production version will make its debut in 2009. It's being billed by Automobile as the spiritual successor to the late, lamented Supra -- a position that's hard to argue assuming you can look past the probable lack of an inline 6. Like the concept, the two-seat FT-HS will pair the company's Hybrid Synergy Drive with an as-yet-undetermined gasoline engine (the concept utilized a 3.5-liter V6). Power and pricing aren't discussed, but if the numbers thrown around when the concept was introduced -- 400 horses and mid-level dollar amounts -- are feasible, the thing should have plenty of takers.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-10-07 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-10-07, 09:35 AM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love the design! not feelin' the back roof (side window) but like the whole flow of the car ...well time to save up AGAIN!!! wonder how much would this beauty CO$T!?!
Old 05-10-07, 09:40 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by manila_boy
love the design! not feelin' the back roof (side window) but like the whole flow of the car ...well time to save up AGAIN!!! wonder how much would this beauty CO$T!?!
The target price was around mid-30's according earlier reports. I highly doubt if they'll be able to make that target though.
Old 05-10-07, 09:42 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Oh and please Toyota, make those wheels standard, an option, an accessory or whatever you wanna categorize it. Just make them available. Those wheels really make the car!!
Old 05-10-07, 10:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like a radical (too radical) move for Toyota, but they need it for their performance image.

As nice as the FT-HS is, I'm pretty sure it will be tamed for the mass market...
Old 05-10-07, 10:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Seems like a radical (too radical) move for Toyota, but they need it for their performance image.

As nice as the FT-HS is, I'm pretty sure it will be tamed for the mass market...
Don't be so sure. Toyota surprised people with the Camry redesign, as well as making the production FJ Cruiser virtually exactly the same as the concept. Rumours have persisted for years that a Toyota sports car was coming, and several Toyota executives have already confirmed some sort of "sports car" is coming. This is probably it. Toyota's own modern day 350Z competitor/Supra sucessor and then there is the LF-A which will be the flagship supercar for Lexus.
Old 05-10-07, 10:42 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Oh and please Toyota, make those wheels standard, an option, an accessory or whatever you wanna categorize it. Just make them available. Those wheels really make the car!!
sorry to disappoint you but those carbon fibre wheels are incredibly hard to produce so i doubt they will ever make it to the mass production stage
which is sad cause i love those wheels too
hopefully they can end up making metal alloy version of the wheel design

this is perfect timing, a perfect car to buy after i get out of university
Old 05-10-07, 01:04 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I am not going to hold my breath for this one.

I will believe it when I see it.
Old 05-10-07, 01:10 PM
xioix
Racer

too hard to believe to be true
Old 05-10-07, 01:12 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks ok but with 400hp in the $30k range this car would be a steal. However, unless they totally cheaped out on the interior and/or the car only makes like 200-225hp I dont see this car would be in that price range unless they mean like $39,999.99 before air in the tires.
Old 05-10-07, 02:43 PM
Koma

I'd buy one and it is right about the time I'd want to purchase a car when I graduate.
Old 05-10-07, 03:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

It may be a good thing, if they can make it less radical & prettier, I am not sure I like it enough as it is now to consider getting one based on just looks alone .
Old 05-10-07, 03:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Nice, but I'd prefer traditional gasoline power over a hybrid-only setup. They also better be using the Lithion or Vanadium Ion batteries because the ones we have now would kill the weight and performance of a car like this.

If the car is hybrid only, I would prefer a Z but even a ~350HP N/A V6 model and a 400hp hybrid would make sense.
Old 05-10-07, 04:32 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

hmm something that costs 1/2 the price of a GTR
Old 05-10-07, 08:38 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L

ditto. Even if they aren't CF...keep the design PLEASE!!!!!

I'm also fascinated by the sliding roof system. Production possibility?

The design is quite striking, but it could possibly be made prettier...the rendering on the cover of road & track is pretty much perfect for me.

A regular gas version would be nice to, though a hybrid version could have some interesting possibilities (Capacitor based, F1 style 'push-to-pass' button ) and I would be interested if they could keep the weight down and offer something other than a cvt tranny.

Quick Reply: Toyota FT-HS to debut in 2009(Toyota exec says FT-HS could be ‘Supra of the future’ )