Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW dealership experience...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 07:51 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All dealerships are different, even within the same brand. When you get a clinker, just move on till you find one that fits you. Many people who are into name shopping will put up with this rude service as it reinforces in their minds how snobby they will be when they own a car like that. Barney's in NYC is noted for their rude and condescending attitude, but local New Yawkers love it.
Old 05-11-07, 08:02 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been to several BMW dealers in the Bay Area and have never had these poor experiences. Im not sure why so many people complain about them. In fact, I have seen and experienced worse service at Lexus, Audi, Honda, MBZ and Chevrolet. The BMW people always seem to be a little less aggressive and pushy in their service as well IMO.
Old 05-12-07, 09:14 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Why, BMW dealers are known to be very arrogant.
Cause of what you read here? Och, you are blinded by your hatred for BMW (and anything German) and it shows.
Attached Thumbnails BMW dealership experience...-ssi.gif  
Old 05-12-07, 09:23 PM
LexFather

Nothing new, nothing old. They know, people will buy their cars, regardless. My experiences have been sub-par and I am lucky to even be approached. I am watched though, like I am going to steal the car out the showroom with no key, lol.

I did encounter one very funny used BMW car salesman, who of course made fun of my ES 300 at the time but was kind enough to give me and a bud a very long test drive. He was IMO a good salesman.

There are also bad Lexus dealers, there are some I wouldn't touch with a pole, only hit them with a pole.

Old 05-13-07, 06:57 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I did encounter one very funny used BMW car salesman, who of course made fun of my ES 300 at the time...
I probably would too.
Old 05-13-07, 08:16 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

yeah, i think this is all depends on dealer by dealer, or even salesperson to salesperson.

last year, i walked into BMW Bayside in long island.
wanted to try the M5 (which was quite new at that time), and I was allowed a spirited test-drive... I didnt get any of the salesmen BS or dealer tricks..
Old 05-14-07, 09:51 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timoc42
yeah, i think this is all depends on dealer by dealer, or even salesperson to salesperson.

last year, i walked into BMW Bayside in long island.
wanted to try the M5 (which was quite new at that time), and I was allowed a spirited test-drive... I didnt get any of the salesmen BS or dealer tricks..
Actually, I'm willing to bet it depends more on you. You're appearance, what you drive in on, etc. If its a busy dealership, and they're swarmed with customers, they're going to size you up and pick those they think are a) serious about buying b) can afford to buy and c) basically look like easy, immediate sales

It all depends on how the dealership is structured and compensates it's salespeople. You can be the nicest and most helpful salesperson in the world, spending hrs with each customer and still only see maybe a handful of sales in a day, or a selective salesman and see a dozen sales in a day...

I definitely dont condone such profiling, but I can see how it could easily happen, especially during busy timeframes.
Old 05-17-07, 06:09 AM
klock379
Driver School Candidate

Since we are all in the sharing mood

Just terminated a leasing contract yesterday with BMW for a 335i, which I have already waited for 3 months! One sweet ride, for sure. However, the sales department seriously lacked business communication skills, never reply phone calls after phone calls (was asking him about the delivery of my car). Mind you, I was a *paid* customer!!! Turned out, the car was delayed for another two months (thanks for telling me *voluntarily*, not) and they had to charge me more because my 90 days lease rate lock out was over.

Excuse me? You couldn't deliver a car and you wanted me to pay more for it? What did I do wrong in this situation that I deserve this left-right punch? What happen to business common sense? Where is my consumer rights?

At the end, I was so fed up that I complained to BMW Canada (yes, I am a canuck) and I told the dealership to give me my deposit back. I promised him that I will spend a considerable amount of time and energy to make sure my foul experience with this BMW dealership and BMW as a whole known on the Internet forums.

Now, I am researching on IS350, hoping the BMW experience is not common is auto industry.
Old 05-17-07, 09:38 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have every right to refuse delivery if your dealer isn't willing to keep you up-to-date. However, it may also be that particular sales rep. Even within a dealership, there's sales reps that are good to deal with, and then there are the ones that aren't.

You could have probably asked BMW NA to pay your lease payments while it wasn't delivered yet. At least that's the way it is for the European Delivery program.
Old 05-17-07, 10:01 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

There are a$$es in any dealer.
If my dinner depends on how many cars I sell, I'll kiss any ***.
Why be cocky and arrogant while eating cup of noodle

Buy from another dealer, bring the car back and tell the manager that his cocky salesman just missed a sale
Old 05-17-07, 10:08 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by leedogg
Actually, I'm willing to bet it depends more on you. You're appearance, what you drive in on, etc. If its a busy dealership, and they're swarmed with customers, they're going to size you up and pick those they think are a) serious about buying b) can afford to buy and c) basically look like easy, immediate sales

It all depends on how the dealership is structured and compensates it's salespeople. You can be the nicest and most helpful salesperson in the world, spending hrs with each customer and still only see maybe a handful of sales in a day, or a selective salesman and see a dozen sales in a day...

I definitely dont condone such profiling, but I can see how it could easily happen, especially during busy timeframes.
That doesn't mean the salesperson has to be a jerk if he "thinks" that person won't be buying, esp. at that moment. That customer may/will come back when they are ready and will ask for that nice salesperson...
Old 05-17-07, 10:11 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by klock379
Since we are all in the sharing mood

Just terminated a leasing contract yesterday with BMW for a 335i, which I have already waited for 3 months! One sweet ride, for sure. However, the sales department seriously lacked business communication skills, never reply phone calls after phone calls (was asking him about the delivery of my car). Mind you, I was a *paid* customer!!! Turned out, the car was delayed for another two months (thanks for telling me *voluntarily*, not) and they had to charge me more because my 90 days lease rate lock out was over.

Excuse me? You couldn't deliver a car and you wanted me to pay more for it? What did I do wrong in this situation that I deserve this left-right punch? What happen to business common sense? Where is my consumer rights?

At the end, I was so fed up that I complained to BMW Canada (yes, I am a canuck) and I told the dealership to give me my deposit back. I promised him that I will spend a considerable amount of time and energy to make sure my foul experience with this BMW dealership and BMW as a whole known on the Internet forums.

Now, I am researching on IS350, hoping the BMW experience is not common is auto industry.
Wow, what great customer service that is

Why bother giving them the business with attitudes like that.
I wonder how their service department would be
Old 05-17-07, 10:36 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

It doesn't matter which car manufacturer it is, there are rude salesman and sales managers everywhere. Just because you had a run-in with this guy at BMW doesn't mean he wouldn't treat you the same way at Lexus, GM, Dodge, Saturn, or Acura.