Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW dealership experience...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 05:20 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW dealership experience...

Just thought I would share this with you and get some feedback.
Last weekend I decided to check out a BMW 335i. I took a test drive in a 6-spd, sport package, i-Drive example. I liked it. The ride is controlled (for a test-drive driving), but not harsh - just like C&D raves about. The car has torque to drive very comfortably with the stick at low rpm and the clutch pedal is amazingly light - it feels like a non-functional piece of hardware at first, compared with my Evo. I-Drive is daunting of course (without a manual and some learning curve), but once used to it, it probably is not that bad. It clears up the clutter inside quite nicely too.
Anyways, I thanked the salesman, took his card and left.

I did some checking online (building the car and price shopping) to get some $ numbers. I decided to get some more specific info about my situation (trade-in, lease rate, etc.), so I drove to the dealership. I find the salesman that showed me the car and he re-directs me to the sales manager. So, I tell him the situation (I like the car, but I am not buying today and want to get a better idea about the numbers than the calculator on the BMW website can give me). The guy basically says to me that unless I am ready to buy the car right now, it is not worth his time to answer my questions. He finally sits down to talk to me, but he does it in such a condescending, snobby manner (as if he is actually doing me a favor, which he does not fail to remind me of) that we get nowhere. I walk out.

The next day, I get a call from another sales manager at this dealership, saying that he was referred to me by this rude guy. He asks me what questions can he answer for me - he actually answers all my questions in a reasonable manner and tells me to call him if I make my decision. I am relieved at first, but then I ask myself:
Why couldn't the other dude answer my questions when I took the trouble of showing up at his dealership?
Why did it take an argument and a walk-out on my part to get them to take me seriously?

Just wondering if this is the norm or the exception for a BMW, based on other folks' experience.
If this is the norm at BMW dealerships, I might be driving something else for a long-long time.
Old 05-11-07, 05:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why, BMW dealers are known to be very arrogant.
Old 05-11-07, 05:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I have good relations with their service departments (I used to have a 90 325ic), but I have had some bad experiences with them down here in sales when visiting with friends who were potential buyers. I got the impression that they were just anticipating and getting antsy waiting for you to buy. This is one place that if Lexus ever opens up down here, you would have an immediate advantage in the sales department.
Old 05-11-07, 05:35 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Why, BMW dealers are known to be very arrogant.
Interesting... So to drive a BMW, one must not only be into driving dynamics, but also have a low self-esteem?

Yeah, baby!... Walk all over me, "snob" it to me one more time!

Seriously, though, I get turned off by this stuff, even though I liked the car.
Old 05-11-07, 05:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
Interesting... So to drive a BMW, one must not only be into driving dynamics, but also have a low self-esteem?
Yeah, pretty much. A lot of people buy BMW because they need that badge to compensate for something.
Old 05-11-07, 05:54 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

mom just leased a 328 from hendrick bmw... they were awesome. the person who sold us the car, a girl named carrie, drove 45 minutes all the way up to our house to give us the thing my mom left in the car (phob to get into work).
now my mom realizes the car is "impractical", called down there, and there doing a swap for a more expensive x3 for nothing. plus she took a brand new car, put 600 miles on it, and now its preowned so they cant get as much. i feel bad for them but they were and still are excellent through the whole thing
Old 05-11-07, 05:55 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there no other BMW dealers around you?

Lots of times its a dealer by dealer thing. The BMW dealer in texas was much more receptive to me than the Lexus dealer, and sort of opposite in Florida. Try a different dealer, I would never let my problems with one dealer stop me from buying a certain car.
Old 05-11-07, 05:59 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
Are there no other BMW dealers around you?

Lots of times its a dealer by dealer thing. The BMW dealer in texas was much more receptive to me than the Lexus dealer, and sort of opposite in Florida. Try a different dealer, I would never let my problems with one dealer stop me from buying a certain car.
True... That is just common sense. About 4 years ago, I wanted to drive a 330 in another dealership and they salesman said to me "We don't have any cars that you could test-drive right now.". He was implying that every car on the lot was sold or spoken for . So, it is not a one-time thing.
Old 05-11-07, 06:13 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

The dealer I bought my 323i from was awesome in every aspect. Sales, service, follow-up, everything. Unfortunately, for most of the time I've owned the car I've lived quite a ways away, but they always made it worth my trip. Friendly staff, a nice waiting room and a clean loaner every time I was there. They even replaced all 4 of my brakes under warranty, because one squeaked (none were worn). . Any service not done in my garage has been there (Laurel BMW in Westmont, IL for anyone who wants to know).

The dealer where I live now is another story. When we were shopping early this year (and wound up with the RX), on 3 different trips we were in the showroom for 10 minutes or more and no one would come talk to us. I'll definitely never buy a car from them, though I have had luck with their parts department. They're friendly and courteous, and have "adjusted" prices for me before I even saw an invoice when parts have cost more than they should. My last trip was for 6 bolts, 6 nuts, some gaskets, crush washers and an oil pan drain plug. List price for the bolts and nuts alone came to $53. My total for everything with tax was $16.80.
Old 05-11-07, 06:19 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The best dealership sales experience for me was with BMW of Bayside here in NYC.. I've dealt with Plaza Acura, Toyota of Bayside, Bayridge Lexus, and they did not compare. Courtesy, friendly atmosphere, heck I was treated like a king with BMW. My salesman calls me from time to time inquiring about my experience with the X3.. My next car will no doubt be another BMW... 3 series
Old 05-11-07, 06:23 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Well, it's good to know there are dealers that treat people right, even though they are not in my vicinity

Thanks to everyone that responded so far!
Old 05-11-07, 06:34 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

You know I've had simliar experiences with Steven's Creek Ford here in the Bay Area. This was 3 years back. I went with my friend who had about $15k to put down. He was at his current job for over 3 years and had good credit. We were looking into a Roush Mustang for him and they repeatedly ignored us and were not helpful at all. Then aftering wandering the showroom and lot for 20 minutes, a salesman actually tried to help us and was pretty polite-- at first. My friend insisted on a test-drive and the salesman stuttered and said that he couldn't arrange that. At that point, the salesman's attitude changed immediately. He suggested that my friend bring his dad in. My friend said he was seriously looking to drive off in a Roush Mustang the same day, but the salesman then tried to sell him a SVT Focus instead. My friend and I give each other a "OK..whatever" look. After that, we were ready to leave. The salesman handed us his business card which I rudely crammed into my pocket and he took my friend's name/number down on his little notepad. My friend got a call from the dealership a few days later and I was sitting right next to him. I guess it was a follow by some respresentative (not the salesman) based on our experience there. I hear my friend say, "Uh-huh. Uh-huh. No. Actually, I purchased a 2002 Camaro SS with the SLP Package instead that same day. I really wanted that Roush Mustang but what can you do?" I busted up laughing so hard because I had just figured out who called him!

Vlad: I wouldn't get too upset. They just lost themselves a customer. I don't understand the attitude and mentality of some of these salesmen. You are working a commission-based job here! I think some of these salesmen become delusional where they think they own the car they are trying to sell you so they act snobby.

Last edited by sleeper408; 05-11-07 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 07:30 PM
cajunboy
Driver

I also got bad experience at a bmw dealership 6yrs ago. I have test drive an 325i and told them what option i wanted and all and they have located the car for me and look at my sister finance and everything was ok. So i got the msrp of the car but we never talk about the final price yet and when the finacace guy call me up, mind you i was 18 at the time, and i told him lets talk about getting 1k off msrp, He got loud with me and call me NAMES.. lets just say i didn't buy the car and the sales lady call me and i didn't even bother to pick up her phone.. But i did go to another bmw dealership and got good experience with.
Old 05-11-07, 07:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The best dealership sales experience for me was with BMW of Bayside here in NYC.. I've dealt with Plaza Acura, Toyota of Bayside, Bayridge Lexus, and they did not compare. Courtesy, friendly atmosphere, heck I was treated like a king with BMW. My salesman calls me from time to time inquiring about my experience with the X3.. My next car will no doubt be another BMW... 3 series
Because Plaza Acura is in Brooklyn, and so is Lexus of Bayridge. Brooklyn has hands down the worst dealers for all makes, and Lexus of Bayridge is perhaps the worst dealer out of all. Whenever I call them with questions or quote requests, they give me an attitude, when I had a question about Lexus cell phone they said they would call me back and never did, and check this out... I sent my wife there to buy a bottle of antifreeze (Lexus uses that special red antifreeze not found in Autozone), and they charged her $25. So when I opened it, it was the regular green crap that you can get at Autozone for $6. Of course they exchanged it for me, but I had to make another trip and waste my time. From now on, whenever i need anything, I call Sewell Lexus in Texas.
Old 05-11-07, 07:49 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, many urban-area BMW dealerships are a bit arrogant. They expect you to be a fool like many other American car buyers: you walk in on the lot, you drive it a short test drive around the block, you pick your color regardless of options, and you drive off with the deal that you think is good but really isnt.

Its better to do all your research ahead of time before walking into the dealership. Go in knowing what to test drive, what options you want, and what is a reasonable price to pay. If the sales rep gives you a hard time, then go elsewhere. There are many friendly dealer reps that do online sales and orders on sites like Bimmerfest. You just need to find the right people.

Quick Reply: BMW dealership experience...