Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 10:21 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Depends on what is your defenition of liking to drive. See, I love driving, and I love driving my LS400. Nothing like a nice, smooth, quiet cruise down the highway. Driving nirvana if you ask me.

Now don't get me wrong, being 28 I'm still fairly young to enjoy agressive drive once in a while, but for such purposes give me a real sports car, my favorite being S2000. Raise the RPMs and the engine keeps asking for more and more, manual tranny that becomes an extension of you, no body roll in twisties, precise steering combined with light weight and small size make the car very easy to handle. Driving nirvana if you ask me. But then of course, I also love cars with obsene amount of torque, my favorite being the good old Viper. Drive that beast, and then every car feels like a Geo Metro.

And then you have cars like GS, 3 series, and bunch of other "sport sedans" that are nowadays dollar a bucket. Unlike the LS or S2000, which are made with a specific purpose with no compromises, these sport sedans are pretty much confused, They are not here, not there, and don't particularly excel in anything. So technically you could say that 330 series outhandles Camry, but then Camry has better ride quality. All other things being about even, with Camry costing less and being a better value, which one is really the better car?
My point to a tee.
Old 05-13-07, 04:09 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But in general, your dad is right.....Chris Bangle's styling hasn't done the company any favors.....it has brought the company a lot of criticism and alienated many former BMW enthusiasts.
BMW doesn't take notice though. Sales are way up; many like the more "aggressive" looks. I personally am one of those who feel they've been alienated.

Hence, I stepped into an Audi dealership today. My friend called me while I was in there, and asked where I was. I'm like "oh I'm at the Audi dealership." Him: "Wait what? Audi? That's pretty funny. I thought you liked BMWs"
Old 05-13-07, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
BMW doesn't take notice though. Sales are way up; many like the more "aggressive" looks. I personally am one of those who feel they've been alienated.

Hence, I stepped into an Audi dealership today. My friend called me while I was in there, and asked where I was. I'm like "oh I'm at the Audi dealership." Him: "Wait what? Audi? That's pretty funny. I thought you liked BMWs"
Audis are rapidly starting to compete with BMWs as sport sedans, the main difference, of course, being BMW's still-superior power steering and road feel.

Audi, however, IMO, has shot itself in the foot with the MMI and those oversized, Linda Lovelace grilles, just as BMW did with I-Drive and some of the Chris Bangle styling.
Old 05-14-07, 12:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Audis are rapidly starting to compete with BMWs as sport sedans, the main difference, of course, being BMW's still-superior power steering and road feel.
Well, BMW may have better steering and road feel, but Audi has seriously superior AWD, and they are getting serious about performance as well.

Audi, however, IMO, has shot itself in the foot with the MMI and those oversized, Linda Lovelace grilles, just as BMW did with I-Drive and some of the Chris Bangle styling.
I actually like those grilles, and I love Audi's current styling. Their current line up is gorgeous, while BMW lineup is tacky, MB and Caddy lineups are too flashy and bling bling, and Lexus, well, the current Lexus lineup lacks styling whatsoever. Of course, the MMI and I-drive are terrible, but it's a big hit with I-pod generation, and eventually all car manufacturers are going to adapt it and shove it down our throats. I bet in 10 years from now even a Honda Civic will have this crap.
Old 05-14-07, 07:42 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Well, I stopped by the Audi dealership because I thought it would be a nice alternative for my parents. They'll never use 100% of a BMW's potential, and so why spend the higher price tag? They don't understand steering feel as long as it's fairly good, they want a simple traditional dash layout, and none of us thinks the grille is terribly ugly. The only lurking variable is reliability. Historically, Audis haven't been good, but I've heard mostly positive comments on those who jumped ship from BMW to Audi after the lease on their X3 was up. The DSG is flat out amazing; sales rep mistakenly said it wasn't DSG but it felt wayyyyy too good to be a slushbox and the brochure confirmed that.

As for myself, I will probably always purchase a BMW for myself, albeit maybe pick up a late-model used version (I like the previous-gen BMWs far better). I DO use the capabilities and appreciate the balance and finesse of the BMWs, although I do try hard to keep it down to socially responsible levels. But that wide intersection left-turn into my neighborhood is awfully tempting though......if no-one's around I'll take that one at oh say, 50mph. (Lots of tire squeal and I don't want nasty stares from onlookers)
Old 05-14-07, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Of course, the MMI and I-drive are terrible, but it's a big hit with I-pod generation, and eventually all car manufacturers are going to adapt it and shove it down our throats. I bet in 10 years from now even a Honda Civic will have this crap.
I will NOT own a car with an MMI or I-Drive device, even if it means I have to drive a used car. I dislike them THAT much. There are some devices on cars I didn't care for at first, but gradually learned to accept (or even want) over the years. That will NOT happen with I-Drive.
Old 05-14-07, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
The DSG is flat out amazing;
Absolutely. it is one of the finest transmissions ever designed for versatility, efficiency, and smoothness, but time will tell with reliability....most of them don't have that many miles on them yet. Still, the DSG and the Quattro AWD are probably the two main reasons for buying an Audi.
Old 05-14-07, 11:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I will NOT own a car with an MMI or I-Drive device, even if it means I have to drive a used car. I dislike them THAT much. There are some devices on cars I didn't care for at first, but gradually learned to accept (or even want) over the years. That will NOT happen with I-Drive.
I hear you, I'm the same way. I will not even own a car with Navi system, unless the navi LCD screen is completely independent of radio and AC controls. There's nothing more annoying than having a huge bright LCD screen in the middle of dash while driving at night - it distracts from the road and makes your eyes tired.
Old 05-14-07, 11:28 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To put this thread back on top, here is a vid of the X3 at one of the BMW ultimate drive events.. Marshall how did the 07 X3 feel in auto sport drive?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s6MKh5POU-o
Old 05-14-07, 11:31 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I hear you, I'm the same way. I will not even own a car with Navi system, unless the navi LCD screen is completely independent of radio and AC controls. There's nothing more annoying than having a huge bright LCD screen in the middle of dash while driving at night - it distracts from the road and makes your eyes tired.
I have only had one car with a nav, the Sienna, but at night it goes into dark mode, where you can still see the map but it's 5x darker (or whatever) so it's not a distraction. My Sienna it has auto headlights so the nav automatically goes darker at night.
Old 05-14-07, 12:13 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Absolutely. it is one of the finest transmissions ever designed for versatility, efficiency, and smoothness, but time will tell with reliability....most of them don't have that many miles on them yet. Still, the DSG and the Quattro AWD are probably the two main reasons for buying an Audi.
There is one transmission that's almost as good as the DSG: that's the high performance ZF auto in the 335i and avail in the 535i and 550i. Torque converter locks up after takeoff and in fact, the only thing that's not as good as DSG is the smoothness. I don't know if it was specific to my 335i coupe tester (only 8 miles on the clock), but the upshifts in the lower gears were a tad abrupt. I really like rear-wheel drive better though. I put winter tires on my X3 despite the fact it's AWD because it's more secure and actually more fun that way. In the snow, it's easier to control the drift since the winter tires allow me to bring the vehicle back in-line. Plus, stopping is improved also.
Old 05-14-07, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
To put this thread back on top, here is a vid of the X3 at one of the BMW ultimate drive events.. Marshall how did the 07 X3 feel in auto sport drive?
I, of course, didn't push my X3 quite that hard.......but I DID try it on some moderate-to-hard cornering, like I do with all reviews. My American-spec model ( I don't what spec model that kid was driving in the video) showed noticeably more body roll than in the video. BMW got complaints from the American auto press and some X3 owners about the harshness of the original X3's ride......and softened the underpinnings somewhat, especially for the U.S. versions.
In SportDrive, shifts were a tiny bit more noticeable than full-automatic mode, which of course is more or less normal, but less harsh than with the SMT.....another source of owner complaints. The SMT, to my knowledge, is not offered with X3's, at least in the American market.
Old 05-14-07, 03:08 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SMT.....another source of owner complaints. The SMT, to my knowledge, is not offered with X3's, at least in the American market.
psst... I think you mean SMG.
Old 05-14-07, 04:48 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

The one in the video is a 2006 model. It also has the sport package. Hence less roll and more engine sound. The N52 engine in the '07s does not sound like that at all. (It's quieter, higher-pitched whine at high rpms than the M54 engine.)

FYI: SMG is only available on the M cars at this point in the US. The '08 5-series does away with it in favor of manual, auto, and sport auto. SMG never has been on a SAV.
Old 05-15-07, 03:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
psst... I think you mean SMG.
Yes.....I've seen it abbreviated both ways.

Quick Reply: Review: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si