Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si

By CL member request, a review of the new 2007 BMW X3si.

http://www.bmwusa.com/

In a Nutshell: One of the best BMW daily drivers I've seen yet, especially for inclement weather.

BMW introduced its popular X3 model in response to the huge, and growing, popularity of small-to-medium sized, car-based unibody SUV's and to the success of its big brother, the larger X5, in the marketplace. The X3 served a vital role for those who wanted the world-famous BMW steering, handling, and chassis dynamics but also needed (or wanted) more cargo room inside, all-weather versatility, more ground clearance for snow and mud, and liked the higher "command" seating position. The regular BMW passenger-car station wagons (known in BMW-speak as "Sport" Wagons, of course) offered the extra cargo room in back and a limited amount of versatility, but, of course, did not have the ground clearance for deep snow or mud. The BMW AWD sedans, of course, gave extra traction and stability in the rain and shallow snow, but, again, lacked the ground clearance for deeper snow, and of course had little cargo room in back.

Now, in general, one does not usually buy a BMW to be a school bus, nor are BMWs meant for Chevy Suburban-style towing or Land-Rover type off-roading and trail-busting, but as I mentioned above, BMW has found a market, with the X3 and X5, for those who want the superb BMW driving dynamics combined with station-wagon AND all-weather/mild off-road capability. The X5 fills those roles nicely, but the X3 does it in a smaller and more affordable package. I say "more affordable" rather than simply "affordable" because the X3, despite being less expensive than the X5, is still somewhat pricey for its size. Like many other BMW products, the X3 is not chump change, and dealerships, though willing to bargain somewhat, don't give them away either. My Steptronic-equipped X3 started out at $38,000 and listed for some $45,000....without a Sport Package at that.

Only one engine for the X3 is offered in the American market....the by-now-familiar silky-smooth 3.0L in-line 6, though diesels are rumored to be coming with the better-quality diesel fuel we now have here. With the demise of the 3.0L in-line 6 used in the Lexus IS300 (a nice engine...I owned one),last generation GS300 and SC300, and the old Toyota Supra, that leaves BMW as the last remaining auto manufacturer in the American market with an longitudional-mounted in-line 6. Two transmissions are offered...the Automanual Steptronic automatic, and a traditional, clutch-operated manual for the enthusiasts; BMW having seen fit not to offer the SMT (Sequential Manual Transmission) in the American-market X3 line. Perhaps it is just a case of engineers not being able to bolt the SMT to the 3.0 engine and AWD hardware; perhaps it is just previous owner complaints about the SMT's harsh shifts. Also the subject of previous owner complaints, and even the complaints of sport-oriented enthusiast magazines like Car and Driver and Road and Track, was the original X3's harsh, noisy ride. BMW addressed the harsh-ride complaints by softening the suspension a little on later models and offering 55-series all-season tires as standard (50 on the Sport Package). These suspension and tire changes, fortunately, kept the same superb BMW steering feel and improved ride comfort, but, in conjunction with the X3 having a higher center of gravity than the X5 due to the X3's narrowness, allows a little more body lean on turns than the higher but wider X5. Still, by SUV standards, the X3 handles quite well, and also has the superb BMW brakes. And, the X3 has been more reliable and has avoided the defective cooling-switch design and engine fires of big brother X5 (BMW learned quick when they had to replace totalled $50,000 vehicles under warranty). Neither model, though, has been reliable by Toyota/Honda/Subaru standards, however, especially with the traditionally quirky German electronics.

Despite my dislike (and in some cases, intense dislike) of some Chris Bangle-designed features, I usually enjoy BMW reviews, with their silky-smooth, just-the-right-effort, almost perfect steering and superlative chassis designs. And, one of my BMW pet peeves, the I-Drive, fortunately, is not offered on the X3 in the American market, at least according to the salespeople.

So.....did the All-Weather, versatile X3 measure up?

Read on.

Model Reviewed: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si (Steptronic)

Base Price: $38,000

Major Options:

Silver Gray Metallic paint: $475

Premium Package: $2550

Heated Front Seats: $500

Xenon headlights: $800

Navigaton system: $1800

Privacy Glass: $350

Destination Charge: $775

List Price as Reviewed: $45,250

Exterior Color: Silver Gray Metallic
Interior: Gray Nevada leather with Ash Dark Wood trim

Drivetrain: 3.0L VTEC, DOHC, longitudional-mounted in-line 6, 260 HP @ 6600 RPM, 225 ft-lbs. torque @ 2500 RPM,
6-speed Steptronic, Sport-Shift automatic transmission,
X-Drive full-time, torque-on-demand AWD system with Hill-Descent Control.

PLUSSES:

Oh, that BMW power steering...superlative effort/road feel even with AWD.

Smooth in line 6.

Relatively flat torque curve.

Slick transmission shifter....much better than the X5's electronic shifter.

6-speed manual transmission (yes, a real one with a clutch) available for enthusiasts.

Relatively quiet ride except under strong acceleration.

Excellent, non-spongy brakes....and many brake safety related-functions standard.

Standard Stability control.

Fairly comfortable seats.

Tank-solid hood closing.

Well-done primary gauges.

Tilt-and-telescope steering wheel (manual controls).

No I-Drive.

Easy entrance/exit by SUV standards.

Adequate headroom for tall drivers.

Relatively nice paint colors.....but could be better.

3 different interior wood trim patterns available.

Fairly powerful but noisy climate control.

Clever flasher switch in rear cargo area

Well-applied paint.

Solid exterior trim and hardware.

Well-designed lower body and wheel-well cladding.

Limited 4 year/50,000 mile free maintenance and wear-item replacements.

MINUSES:

Extra-cost paint colors, like on other BMWs and European makes.

Poor underhood access.

Pricey for a relatively small SUV.

Tinny-sounding doors.

More body roll than usual for a BMW product.

Second-rate leather trim inside.

Shoe-catching brake pedal.

Iffy-quality electronics.

Odd location for power door-lock switch between the center-dash vents.

Opposite-shift pattern from most cars.

All 3 interior wood trim patterns relatively unattractive, IMO.

Stereo OK but rather mediocre.

Cheap-looking and cheap-feeling steering column stalks.

Odd turn-signal lane-change function.

Ignition switch hidden at right-angle behind the steering wheel.

The first impression of this vehicle, as you walk up to it, is, not surprisingly, a smaller and more scaled-down version of big brother X5. The X5's success in the marketplace and the tendency of the Chris-Bangle-design BMW's to all have more or less the same chised-angle body-design features dictated that Junior would, for the most part, copy big brother. Not only are the body lines pretty much the same, but also the traditional BMW eyebrow-headlights and twin-kidney grilles that all BMWs get, except the Mini Cooper.

The exterior workmanship is quite good.....actually better, overall, than many new BMW sedans, but I don't know why. The exterior body panels all feel quite substantial and well-made. The gas-strut-equipped hood feels rock-solid and closes with a tanklike thud: the doors feel equally rock-solid, but close with a cheaper and tinnier-sounding noise.

All of the exterior hardware feels solid, durable, and well-attached....even the rear-window wiper arm, which is cheaply made on a lot of vehicles. Yes, the matte-black plastic finish on the arm looks cheap, but that low-gloss black finish is required on wiper arms by law to reduce sun glare.The paint colors are, for the most part, the usual funeral home shades, but the Crimson Red and Monaco Blue at least have some class to them. And, just like with other BMW products and European makes in general, some colors and metallics cost extra.....the Silver Gray Metallic on my X3 ran $475. This is a weird quirk of the European auto-pricing system...you generally don't find this on American, Korean, or Japanese-nameplate vehicles, except for some Dodge/Chrysler products, which, of course, are Mercedes-owned.

The exterior trim is all solidly attached as well, and the paint job, though not quite up to Toyota/Lexus standards (what else IS?), is done reasonably well, with a minimum of orange peel and a decent gloss. I especially liked the black body cladding that circles the entire bottom of the vehicle....front, sides, and back. The cladding was durable, well-attached, had a nice finish (not too dull or too glossy), and was designed very efficiently around the wheel wells and lower part of the body sides to ward off paint damage from road debris.....this contrasted strongly with the poorly-designed and poorly-finished lower body sides and cladding on the Acura MDX I reviewed last week.

Underhood, the longitudional-mounted 3.0L in-line 6 is rather crammed in, though there is a little space on the left side (as you are looking back) to reach a few things such as the oxygen sensor and windshield-washer-fluid reservoirs. The
entire top of the engine, as with many upscale vehicles there days, is covered with a BIG, plastic, BMW logo-equipped engine cover. The oil filter, in BMW tradition, is up front, in a cylindrical housing with a bolt-off cover. The rest of the underhood features are pretty much the hide-and-go-seek variety, especially the battery, stuck way back under the rear cargo cover, just forward of the rear bumper...........this being done, of course, for weight distribution and handling.

Open the doors and get in. The step-up height, like several recent small/medium-sized SUV's I've revewed, is just fine for most people.....running boards are not needed, and they are not listed in the BMW literature and accessories as an option either. I was able to swing my tall and somewhat oversized frame off the ground and right into the driver's seat with no step-up at all.

Once inside, like the outside, the view is more or less the same as you get with big-brother X5 except for a slightly simpler layout and controls. Inside, you find the same cheap-looking and cheap-feeling Nevada Leather trim as in the X5, the same superb steering wheel, and the same fairly comfortable seats. As with many other vehicles, two interior colors are offered (beige and gray), and three different wood-trim color/patterns are offered......Dark Ash, Popular Natural Light, and Popular Gray. I wasn't wild about any of the three wood patterns, although, as with many other vehicles, I personally found the beige interior and the Popular Natural light wood to be the best-looking combo, although your interior tastes, of course, may or may not differ from mine.

The seats, as previously stated, were reasonably comfortable despite the poorly-finished leather, but I could have used some more height in the seat backs....they cut off just below my shoulder line (shorter people will probably not notice that). They are, of course, multi-power adjustable and with 3-position memory. Headroom is fine for tall prople despite the sunroof housing if you get the seat lowered enough.....the back of the cushion didn't go down quite as much as I wanted, but my head cleared OK. Legroom, likewise was fine....more than I needed. In front of you is the typical superb 3-spoke BMW steering wheel (again, contrasted with
the piece-of-crap of a steering wheel in the Acura MDX last weeek). The X3's wheel has tilt-and-telescope features, with manual levers for each.

The drivers'-side dash and primary gauges are typical, superb BMW-clear, simple, and legible. The Ultimate Driving Machine should have Ultimate Legibility Gauges, and BMW rarely disappoints in that area. The rest of the dash is pretty well-done by Chris Bangle standards (and, mercifully, devoid of You-Know-What), but, still, there are a few quirks. The NAV system, despite being less complex than the You-Know-What, is still far from simple. The power door-lock switch is oddly placed between the two center-dash vents, under the hazard flashers...another quirk shared with other BMW models. The turn-signal lever, as with the other steering-
column stalks, has a cheap look and feel, but operates as smoothly as silk. It has a odd feature, however, new for 2007. When you press it down and let it spring back for lane-changing, the flashing green arrow does not cut off immediately....it hangs on for a few seconds and then quits. Press it further, for a full turn, and it clicks/un-clicks and the flashing green arrow behaves normally. The buttons, hardware, and switches inside are all of at least fairly good quality, except for the column stalks as noted. The stereo is reasonably good...about average for a European vehicle of this class, but not quite as good as the Lexus/Acura stereos. The climate control is not dual-zoned (the vehicle probably isn't wide enough to really need it) but the heat/AC systems work reasonably well.....again, not quite up to the class-leading GM and Lexus systems. The climate buttons could be a little less complex, but in general are clear, well-marked, and reasonably easy to use.

In the back, you have, of course, the same second-class leather on the seats as you do up front......the unpleasant, grainy Nevada Leather, and the legroom and headroom is OK but marginal for large adults. The X3's roofline, while well-shaped for space efficiency, is not particularly tall, and while it will take average-size adults OK, don't expect to cram Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippin in back there.
The rear seat, of course, has the usual 50/50 fold-down feature for extra cargo room, and a center cut-out/flip-down for loading long, narrow items like skis with the seatbacks up.

The cargo area in back is fairly well-shaped for efficiency, but the not-so-tall roof and the battery buried under the lift-up cargo floor take up some of the usable space. A clever idea is a safety-flasher switch built into the right-rear wall of the compartment that turns the flashers on and off...something I don't recall having seen on any other vehicle, even on safety-oriented Mercedes and Volvos. The hardware in the cargo was not the equal of the superb hardware in the rival Audi Q7 but was well-done and appeared made of good materials.

OK...the Ultimate Driving Machine, of course, is built to DRIVE, not look at, so let's go for a spin. As always, seats, mirrors, and belts adjusted. Start her up with a conventional key (BMW engineers have not yet given the X3 a start button like other BMW's, and the ignition switch is hidden, old-style, behind the stering wheel on the side of the column), and the SMOOTH, in-line 6, just like the one on my old Lexus IS300, fires up and idles like silk. Slip it into gear with the well-designed, silky, snap-action shifter (much, MUCH better than the vague, flimsy, electronic, shifter in the X5...a piece of crap) and off you go.

The 3.0L six has a good HP figure on paper (260) but the torque figure is considerably less than that...225 ft-lbs. A flat torque curve helps and prevents the annoying peakiness found in Honda and some Toyota engines, but the weight of this vehicle (5049 lbs.) and the of the AWD system takes its toll on engine performance. This is simply one of the prices (along with lower gas mileage) that you pay for the traction and stability of AWD...but, not being a power or speed freak, it is a price I am easily willing to pay, as I'm sold on AWD traction, even in summer (it helps in rain, too, not just snow or ice). The six has adequate power for normal level-surface driving, but it might be a little overtaxed in a heavily loaded X3 or on long, steep hills, and it certainly is no BMW M-spec drag racer. Otherwise, like the old Toyota/Lexus 3.0L in-line six, it is smooth, silky, and quiet except for heavy acceleration, where you hera the typical-BMW exhaust burble.

The 6 speed StepTronic automatic shifts smoothly and quietly...slightly less so in manual mode, but overall is quite well refined. After driving the X5, with its flimsy, frustrating, electronic shifter, it was a pleasure to use the X3's FAR-better-designed one. It snaps from gear to gear with smooth, solid precision, has a solid and well-constructed feel, and is simple, direct, and straightforward to use. Well, instead of straightFORWARD, maybe I should say straightBACKWARD instead, because unlike most vehicles, with BMW and Mazda autoshifters, you pull back to upshift and push forward to downshift (you will remember this after you come close to redlining the engine a couple of times...fortunately, I didn't).

The steering (you KNOW what I'm going to say....what else?), despite the AWD, is pure BMW...that alone speaks for itself (simply the best). IMO, there just are no better mass-produced power-steering units in the world, though some Porsche ones come close. BMW steering systems are are a major reason why BMW's win so many sport-sedan comparison tests. You can practically steer them blindfolded, simply from the road feel and almost perfectly-weighted effort. But...most of you guys already KNOW this......so let's go on with the review....to something you may NOT know.

Despite the heavenly steering and generally good handling for an SUV, there is a little more body roll in the X3, especially in my non-Sport-Package version, than you normally expect in a BMW. The engineers, acutely aware of both customer and auto-press complaints of the overly-harsh, noisy ride in the early x3 models, softened things up a little in the suspension, anti-roll bars, and tires, and the result, in the new 2007 model, the ride comfort is much better....though it is no Lincoln Town Car, the ride is comfortable by small SUV standards. The result of some of that new-found compliance in the underpinnings, however, together with the car's relatively high center of gravity (though it sits lower than the taller X5, it is substantially narrower as well, raising the center of gravity), is noticeable body roll in sharp cornering, (more than in the X5), but still, by small SUV standards, not bad. This is not a Suzuki Samurai just waiting to toss you on your roof the moment you flip the wheel in a sharp turn, but on the other hand, it is not a low-slung BMW M4 coupe either, where you can corner while snubbing your nose at the laws of physics. The X3 seems safe in all but extreme cornering.....but I wouldn't push it too far.

The noise level, both from the smooth quiet engine and well-done body insulation, is generally low except for the familiar BMW growl as you open it up. The Ultimate Driving Machine should not be like a tomb, but on the other hand, you want it quiet enough for a long cruise on the freeway if needed, and, here again, the x3 delivers.

It also delivers when it comes time to stop. In the not-only-BMW but German auto tradition, the brakes are excellent. Though the stopping distances are not quite Porsche-short (few vehicles can equal Porsche in quick stops because of Porsche's weight distribution and brake design), the pedal feel is superb, with right-now, linear response, excellent modulation, and an almost total absence of sponginess. As I stated in my recent Audi Q7 review.....German drivers simply will not put up with weak, spongy brakes. In Germany, cars, when they are on the Autobahn.....they GO. So, obviously, they have to STOP as well. The only fly in the X3's braking ointment, from my point of view (and this may not affect others with smaller feet.....I wear those big size 15 clodhoppers, remember?) is the often-encountered problem of my big feet getting caught momentarily under the edge of the gas pedal when I lift off the gas. This is not a problem in my current Subaru Outback, nor was it in my old Lexus IS300, but it is something I notice in many vehicles I review.

So...the verdict? BMW, with this vehicle, has not hit a homer, but, by my standards, gets to third base. It has the steering, brakes, and transmission refinement expected of the Ultimate Driving Machine, more room inside than smaller BMW sedans, all-weather traction, versatility in the cargo area, a smooth, quiet engine, a relatively nice ride with low road noise level, generally good hardware inside and out, and BMW, wisely, has left the I-Drive out of the X3 to boot. It falls a little short in cornering stiffness (a Sport package with 50-series tires and firmer suspension will address that, at the loss of some ride comfort), the unpleasant leather package inside, pulling power from the engine, and the quirkiness of some of the interior switches. It is also rather pricey for a smallish SUV, although BMW engineering, of course, doesn't come cheap....and BMW picks up a lot of the maintenance and wear-item replacement for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles....a sales incentive. It is, overall, an excellent vehicle from BMW........ despite the tippier cornering, it is far more pleasant, overall, to drive than the larger X5, and despite my general dislike of Bangle-designed BMW's, this is one of the best
ones yet......and perhaps THE best and most sensible daily driver BMW has yet come up with, especially for foul-weather areas. This vehicle is not cheap, but there are far worse ways to spend your automotive dollars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-07 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 06:47 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent fair review Marshall I am suprised about the body roll though.. I nvever drove the 07's and don't know if they softened the suspension further I push my 06 hard in the corners during my commute, and the x3 begs to be pushed harder.. More fun to drive than my beloved GS.
Old 05-11-07, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Excellent fair review Marshall I am suprised about the body roll though.. I nvever drove the 07's and don't know if they softened the suspension further I push my 06 hard in the corners during my commute, and the x3 begs to be pushed harder.. More fun to drive than my beloved GS.
Does your 06 have the Sport Package? That might account for the flatter cornering.

07's also come with standard 55-series all-seasons, which are not exactly race-car tires....the new Sport package gets 50's, in additon to the firmer suspension.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-07 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 07:06 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Does your 06 have the Sport Package? That might account for the flatter cornering.

07's also come with standard 55-series all-seasons, which are not exactly race-car tires....the new Sport package gets 50's, in additon to the firmer suspension.
Non-sport equipped. Did not like the wheels that come with the sport package. There is a slight difference in the suspension dampening and between the two though.. Cornering is indeed flatter with sport pack..

I did order the optional silver metallic paint as well.. Hides the dirt more so than black lol..
Old 05-11-07, 07:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Now, considering the fact that for the price you can have an excellent MDX, does X3 even make sense?
Old 05-11-07, 07:32 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Now, considering the fact that for the price you can have an excellent MDX, does X3 even make sense?
Nothing compares to the BMW driving experience.. Money well spent for a daily driver for me
Old 05-11-07, 07:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Nothing compares to the BMW driving experience.. Money well spent for a daily driver for me
Give me a break, driving experience. The X3 is virtually a mnivan, BMW or not. For the price you could do much better, but then its your money, and as long as it makes you happy....
Old 05-11-07, 07:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Give me a break, driving experience. The X3 is virtually a mnivan, BMW or not. For the price you could do much better, but then its your money, and as long as it makes you happy....
LOL minivan Och?? Isn't the MDX based on the Honda Oddessy? Same chassis along with the Honda Pilot?
Old 05-11-07, 07:43 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool review, Marshall! Glad that you found it overall a decent vehicle

The height of the X3 does make it initially feel more "tippy" than oh say, a 3-series. I won't deny that, I feel it too. However, its wierd because although in 7/10ths cornering it might seem that way, when you really push it super, super hard (in a matter you probably shouldn't do on public roads), it doesn't get any worse. That's the way I feel. Once you get to know how the vehicle handles, you're a bit more reassured that it won't roll over. Indeed, I can take many hard corners on the backroads in my area with no braking and full throttle all the way through because I know that the X will hang on no matter what. However, my '04 is stiffer than the '07, and my dad said the '07s weren't as firm or controlled in the corners when he tried it out at a BMW Ultimate Drive event where they laid out an auto-x course.

I think the X3 is a good choice for those who want the old BMW feel. Yes yes, I know the exterior design isn't like an E46, but inside it bears a ton of relation to the E46. As for interior trim, there is aluminum trim available but you must order the vehicle; dealers cannot order this option to leave on the lot. The controls are laid out the same and it isn't overly teched up. And it has a novelty engine coolant gauge..........something that's disappearing fast on other BMWs.

Oh and you can get a manual transmission. How cool is that?

Last edited by AzNMpower; 05-11-07 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
The MDX and the X3 both trump each other.....but in different categories. The X3 is a driver's machine, though a somewhat compromised one for versatility and traction. The MDX is more mundane as a driver's car but is more reliable and will stay out of the repair shop longer.

Both need different engines, IMO. The MDX's is too peaky; it has power but you have to rev too high to get it.....there's nothing at all under 3500-4000. The BMW's torque curve is flatter, but its weight, in general, overwhelms it.

And the MDX badly needs a better steering wheel.....the factory one is a absolute joke. (see my recent review)
Old 05-11-07, 07:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

LOL minivan Och?? Isn't the MDX based on the Honda Oddessy? Same chassis along with the Honda Pilot?
You do realize that all cross overs, including BMW's are virtually minivans shaped to look like SUVs? Not that it's a bad thing, but driving experience? Comeon now.
Old 05-11-07, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
You do realize that all cross overs, including BMW's are virtually minivans shaped to look like SUVs? Not that it's a bad thing, but driving experience? Comeon now.
No...not so. Some are...but by no means all. Subaru Foresters and Outbacks, classic crossovers, are basically Imprezas and Legacys on stilts. The Forester is just an Impreza with a different body and suspension....the Outback is the same car as a Legacy with a slightly different suspension...just a few inches higher.

And many car-based crossovers.....RAV4, CR-V, Outlander, Highlander, Pilot, Endeavor, etc..... have nothing to do with minivans. They are based on compact or mid-sized cars. Of course, some minivans are also based on compact and mid-sized ars, but the common platforms for crossovers and minivans is regular cars, not the minivans themselves.

The BMW X3, for instance.....the main subject of this thread.......is loosely based on the 3-series, with a different suspension, a raised body, and, of course, AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-07 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 07:56 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
For your viewing pleasure...

History and development

Along the heels of a very successful and ongoing production run of the BMW X5, BMW decided in the early millennium that it wanted to compete with the likes of the Freelander and other small luxury SUVs just as the X5 had previously done so well in its respective classes. Thus the X3 (internally known as E83), was born.

What thus emerged was a concept unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show in 2003. Dubbed the xActivity, BMW previewed to the public for the first time what a smaller SAV based on a 3 Series platform would look like. The concept had no windows, for the most part no roof, and a sleek futuristic interior. Only the basic shape of the car would emerge as the BMW X3.

Just as BMW used many parts from the E39 5 Series parts bin in the making of the X5, the same occurred in the X3's development, whereby BMW engineers reused 3 series parts. In-fact complete sets of parts came straight out of the E46 330xi, emerging unscathed in the X3 (e.g. rear suspension).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X3
Old 05-11-07, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
Cool review, Marshall! Glad that you found it overall a decent vehicle
Thanks. As you know, I call it like I see it.

The height of the X3 does make it initially feel more "tippy" than oh say, a 3-series. I won't deny that, I feel it too.
The X3 I sampled today had a little more body roll than the higher X5, but I wouldn't call it excessively tipsy. I think part of the reason is the X3's narrowness compared to the X5....the X5's wider stance generally gives it more stability despite its greater height.

Oh and you can get a manual transmission. How cool is that?
In the area where I live......with the second-worst traffic in the U.S. outside of Southern California.........a manual tranny is rather UN-cool. It would wear out your left leg, your right arm, and the clutch/tranny itself....I don't know which one first.
Old 05-11-07, 08:23 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the area where I live......with the second-worst traffic in the U.S. outside of Southern California.........a manual tranny is rather UN-cool. It would wear out your left leg, your right arm, and the clutch/tranny itself....I don't know which one first.
Well, at least its offered. Honestly, I was very upset when the new X5 wasn't offered with the manual. I also do understand that traffic can be a killer on the left foot and clutch. However, there are also many places where a manual transmission is nice. I applaud BMW for continuing to offer a 3 pedal transmission despite relatively low volume sales and the cost of certification to import into the US.

Plus, there's no more "rolling back" on uphills. The brake hill-hold feature made its way on the '07 X3s (along with other BMWs). That's one LESS reason for someone's spouse not to learn stickshift

Quick Reply: Review: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si