Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend crowns world's best-handling car . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 11:54 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is Ariel Atom?
Old 05-12-07, 12:11 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu
+1

List results were on par with expectations of one from Motor Trend. Utterly laughable and predictable that they rank the Z06 9th out of 10 and put two Porsches first/second. Well known fact that Motor Trend takes it in the backdoor from Porsche!
Huh? So you don't think Porsche makes some of the best handling cars out there? Not sure why it's so hard to accept that car mags are going to be faithful to car makers that continuously make vehicles that are fun to drive. It'd be a pretty dull read if all they did was drool over reliability rankings, and interior build quality. *ahem*

I will say, though... the fact that the Z06 finshed worse than FWD cars is certainly as confusing as the fact that FWD cars are even on the list to begin with.
Old 05-12-07, 12:35 PM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

I dont understand whythe 911 turbo isnt on the list...its funny coz the GT3 is the track car, but the turbo actually beat it around the track done by porsche and the germans in germany. its all wheel drive as well. I have a few articles i will try dig up from my computer. Thats really cool that the civic si is on the list though, i mean out of all those exotics and what not the civic si holds its own when it comes to handling...good stuff.
Old 05-12-07, 12:36 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I agree.

Didn't the Z06 on the Nuremberg (SP) pretty much keep up with the Porsche, if not do better?

I definately believe the Z06 should get more attention than it does. With the C5/C6 GM finally did something right. The C6 Z06 is a beast, and for as powerful as it is.. it holds its own.
Old 05-12-07, 12:39 PM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

+1

List results were on par with expectations of one from Motor Trend. Utterly laughable and predictable that they rank the Z06 9th out of 10 and put two Porsches first/second. Well known fact that Motor Trend takes it in the backdoor from Porsche!

Umm even tho its a Z06 and its pretty damn good for an american car, its still a chevy and a porsche is a porsche..it should be no surprise that they out handle a chevy.
Old 05-12-07, 12:41 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slick350
I dont understand whythe 911 turbo isnt on the list...its funny coz the GT3 is the track car, but the turbo actually beat it around the track done by porsche and the germans in germany. its all wheel drive as well. I have a few articles i will try dig up from my computer. Thats really cool that the civic si is on the list though, i mean out of all those exotics and what not the civic si holds its own when it comes to handling...good stuff.
The Turbo isn't on the list because the RWD GT3 delivers a more 'pure' driving experience than the AWD Turbo. Whenever you convert a car from RWD to AWD, you're going to lose some of the handling magic in the process, regardless of whether or not the car is actually faster

And I don't know if you read the article, but the only reason the Civic was there was because they wanted cars from every segment, and it far from held its own, it came in dead last
Old 05-12-07, 12:42 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I agree.

Didn't the Z06 on the Nuremberg (SP) pretty much keep up with the Porsche, if not do better?
The Z06 did very well on the Nurburgring. I don't recall how it compared to the Porsches, though. Somewhere out there, there's a list published with the "official" times for a whole slew of cars.
Old 05-12-07, 01:01 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
The Z06 did very well on the Nurburgring. I don't recall how it compared to the Porsches, though. Somewhere out there, there's a list published with the "official" times for a whole slew of cars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordsch...test_lap_times

The Z06 is only one second slower around the 'Ring.
Old 05-12-07, 01:07 PM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thetopdog

And I don't know if you read the article, but the only reason the Civic was there was because they wanted cars from every segment, and it far from held its own, it came in dead last

lol naw i didnt read the article. hahah i didnt realize that ma bad. i was gonna say...ithat is absurd that the civic is even in ther ebut now i understand.
Old 05-12-07, 01:10 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand Motor Trend's choice of cars either. You have 2 Hondas there and of COURSE the S2000 will outhandle the Civic. Check Civic off the list please.

Then you have the Mazdaspeed3. Wouldn't a Miata or RX-8 been a better choice if they wanted to put a Mazda in the lineup?
Old 05-12-07, 01:36 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bruce van
I don't understand Motor Trend's choice of cars either. You have 2 Hondas there and of COURSE the S2000 will outhandle the Civic. Check Civic off the list please.

Then you have the Mazdaspeed3. Wouldn't a Miata or RX-8 been a better choice if they wanted to put a Mazda in the lineup?
You guys should really read the article, or at least the reply right above your own before making comments like this
Old 05-12-07, 01:58 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick350
Umm even tho its a Z06 and its pretty damn good for an american car, its still a chevy and a porsche is a porsche..it should be no surprise that they out handle a chevy.

Therein lies the problem. "Porsche by default beats Chevy". That is just stupid.

I am not saying that the Z06 should have won, just that Motor Trend is VERY biased and without even opeing the magazine you can guess what their list will be. Porsche wins automatically and any American manufacturer goes to the bottom.

Porsche makes incredibly well handing automobiles. I wont discount them one but. However, I will question Motor Trend's integrity.
Old 05-12-07, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van

It also depends on MT's view of just what "handling" is, and how you define it. That definition could be anything from steering response to skidpad figures to slalom speeds to body roll angles to yaw-slip angles to you-name it.
Old 05-12-07, 04:45 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
You guys should really read the article, or at least the reply right above your own before making comments like this
I just think that if they're going to call it "The Best Handling Car in the World" they then better pick their choices from the BEST of the BEST of the BEST. Don't give me this segmented junk. Of course the Civic Si is probably one of the best handling FF cars in the world right now, but that's looking at the FF segment.

If they're going to call it "The World's" then they better choose something that satisfies "The World" claim. They should call it "The World's Top 10 handling cars with selected admission by price, drivetrain, and other factors"

I'm darn sure that the Civic Si is NOT one of the world's top 10 handling cars, wouldn't you agree?
Old 05-12-07, 04:47 PM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

Therein lies the problem. "Porsche by default beats Chevy". That is just stupid.
Porsche wins automatically and any American manufacturer goes to the bottom.

owever, I will question Motor Trend's integrity.

I dont understand what you mean saying that is just stupid? porsche by default does beat chevy. theres nothing stupid or wrong about that statement nor is it my opinion. I knew before going through the article that porsche would win over the chevy and after going through the article proved my thoughts. Motor trend is an american company wouldnt you think they would be more biased torward the chevy?

Quick Reply: Motor Trend crowns world's best-handling car . . .