Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend crowns world's best-handling car . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 05:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

WTF are these cars doing on this list?

Honda Civic Si
Mazdaspeed3
BMW 335i
Old 05-12-07, 07:19 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
WTF are these cars doing on this list?

Honda Civic Si
Mazdaspeed3
BMW 335i
The 335i beat the Mini and S2000 around the track and was less than 1.5 seconds behind the Porsche Cayman S.

I'd say it held its own pretty well in that competition, and I'd say it belonged in there not only on merits of performance, but because it was interesting to see how a car that is widely regarded as the best chassis/suspension/brakes/motor and handling in its class, would stand up against cars outside of its class.
Old 05-12-07, 07:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
The 335i beat the Mini and S2000 around the track and was less than 1.5 seconds behind the Porsche Cayman S.

I'd say it held its own pretty well in that competition, and I'd say it belonged in there not only on merits of performance, but because it was interesting to see how a car that is widely regarded as the best chassis/suspension/brakes/motor and handling in its class, would stand up against cars outside of its class.
It won on sheer HP and torque. Contrary to what everybody seems to think, the 3 series doesn't handle that well at all. It may have good steering feedback and feel, but the actual handling is rather average, and the ride quality sucks.
Old 05-12-07, 07:39 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
It won on sheer HP and torque. Contrary to what everybody seems to think, the 3 series doesn't handle that well at all. It may have good steering feedback and feel, but the actual handling is rather average, and the ride quality sucks.
Ooooooh... that explains why despite it actually posting, on average, slightly SLOWER 1/4-mile times than the Porsche Cayman S, it was less than 1.5 seconds behind at the end of the track. Because the Cayman S handles amazingly, and slightly-outpowers the 335i, too - and amazingly, all that's actually worth on the track is a ~1% gain in lap time.

Riiiight.

The 335i has been said to handle as well or nearly as well as the previous-gen M3, and accelerate nearly as well, too - you want to say that the pre-08 M3 doesn't handle well either?

I'm glad you informed "everyone" that the facts were "contrary" to your opinion. Or, at least, that your opinion was contrary to the majority's opinion, and thus that makes the majority wrong... eh?
Old 05-12-07, 07:50 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
????????..... I am "specifically" talking about in the track that the NSX-R will destroy the Z06 like a cup cake. I wasn't talking about straightaways, I am talking about in a track with curves and hair-pins. You obviously don't know about the NSX-R since you just mentioned "NSX". NSX is not equal to NSX-R. The Type-R version has race-tuned suspension. Even more importantly there is a weight reduction, which then performs even better in the turn and accelerations. Don't get confused with NSX-R and NSX.
http://www.baileymotorsports.com/nurburgring.html

Z06: 7 minutes, 42 seconds
The NSX-R is not on that list because its time was not validated, but its best was 7 minutes, 56 seconds.

Doesn't sound like the Z06 got "destroyed like a cup cake"

Not to mention the NSX-R is a very rare expensive non-standard car not even for sale in most of the world. It's hardly a valid real world comparison. I might as well pull out the C6-R for comparison's sake.
Old 05-12-07, 08:02 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

????????..... I am "specifically" talking about in the track that the NSX-R will destroy the Z06 like a cup cake. I wasn't talking about straightaways, I am talking about in a track with curves and hair-pins. You obviously don't know about the NSX-R since you just mentioned "NSX". NSX is not equal to NSX-R. The Type-R version has race-tuned suspension. Even more importantly there is a weight reduction, which then performs even better in the turn and accelerations. Don't get confused with NSX-R and NSX.

So are you young then? How old are you? Just wondering....

Give it some time. Maybe the Acura doesn't want the general publics to know about their new release of the NSX just yet.
Like Threxx said, the Z06 destroyed the NSX-R around the 'Ring. It's not even close. The NSX is a great car but it's a 16 year old design and it's underpowered for a supercar

And I'm 23, I've seriously been hearing internet rumors about the new NSX since I was 16 and not able to drive by myself. I remember the rumor about 2 S2000 engines joined together to make a 480hp V8, this car has been 'coming soon' for a LONG time now
Old 05-12-07, 08:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Ooooooh... that explains why despite it actually posting, on average, slightly SLOWER 1/4-mile times than the Porsche Cayman S, it was less than 1.5 seconds behind at the end of the track. Because the Cayman S handles amazingly, and slightly-outpowers the 335i, too - and amazingly, all that's actually worth on the track is a ~1% gain in lap time.

Riiiight.

The 335i has been said to handle as well or nearly as well as the previous-gen M3, and accelerate nearly as well, too - you want to say that the pre-08 M3 doesn't handle well either?

I'm glad you informed "everyone" that the facts were "contrary" to your opinion. Or, at least, that your opinion was contrary to the majority's opinion, and thus that makes the majority wrong... eh?

Well, I haven't driven the new 335, so I can't tell you from personal experience, however previous gen 3 series, which I drove plenty of, didn't impress me at all. Sure, the M3 was nice, but combined with harsh ride and ridiculously bad reliability and overclocked, underdeveloped engine that consumes oil and REQUIRES synthetic, it's a joke.
Old 05-12-07, 08:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I dont see what's so hard to believe that the Z06 can beat an NSX.

What does the NSX have that should make it faster than the z06?

Last edited by GSteg; 05-12-07 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-12-07, 10:07 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Where is Arial Atom?
Old 05-13-07, 12:08 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

What the hell..... How could a Z06 beat an NSX-R. It's only 14 sec difference in the Nürburgring. That Z06 must have wings and a jet engine.

I haven't seen C6-R because there isn't one.

And that's what makes the NSX more special than "Corvette". Corvette = normal car NSX = special car

What's more is that the NSX-R only has 290 HP and it is enough to stay with the "big" horsepower/torque cars. That is another reason why NSX is so special and unique. It's got better gas mileage than the Z06 too.

You, and the other dude, you got lucky this time...... Be thankful that the Z06 barely beat it.
Are you crazy? A 14 second difference is huge. I don't know if you're thinking about the old Z06, but the new Z06 has 500hp, 210 hp more than the NSX. Why is it so hard to believe that a car could beat another car that has 210 fewer hp?

The Z06 gets 16/26 mpg, check it out for yourself at this link:
http://www.autosite.com/content/rese...action/summary

The regular NSX gets 17/24, check it out here:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20451.shtml

The NSX-R probably gets even worse mileage

Next time try using actual facts to support your argument instead of things you've pulled out of your anus
Old 05-13-07, 01:38 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Next time try using actual facts to support your argument instead of things you've pulled out of your anus
Wow that's pretty cruel.
Old 05-13-07, 01:59 AM
ARB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
Where is Arial Atom?
Its hiding inside Submerged Molecule.

JP

ps. I know arial would be spelt aerial for the way I was using it
Old 05-13-07, 05:29 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

What the hell..... How could a Z06 beat an NSX-R. It's only 14 sec difference in the Nürburgring. That Z06 must have wings and a jet engine.
It beat it because it's a faster car, plain and simple. Your 'the NSX-R comment would beat it like a cup cake' comment was just flat-out wrong.

Don't feel bad - take a look at that list and see how many other cars were beaten by the Z06, and how few were able to beat the Z06 (two, the SLR and Carrera GT - 480k+ and 440k+ MSRP, respectively, compared to the Z06 at 76k).

I haven't seen C6-R because there isn't one.
Oh really? You better break the news to team Corvette that the car that has been winning them all kinds of races on the Lemans circuit doesn't exist.
http://www.corvetteracing.com/cars/c6r/c6r.shtml

And that's what makes the NSX more special than "Corvette". Corvette = normal car NSX = special car
You know what's special to me? That I can go down and buy a Z06 right now, for 76k, and know that if I ever did encounter anyone who went to the effort of paying $120k+, plus importation and US conversion costs on an outdated NSX-R, that I'd still be able to rape them both on a road course and even worse on a 1/4-mile track.

What's more is that the NSX-R only has 290 HP and it is enough to stay with the "big" horsepower/torque cars. That is another reason why NSX is so special and unique. It's got better gas mileage than the Z06 too.
Right... that's exactly what people care about when they pay 120,000 dollars for the NSX-R is that it gets better gas mileage than if they had paid $76,000 for the Z06. Maybe the NSX-R has more cup holders too, or something! You could always add that on to the huge list of options that run high on the list of priorities of the average person who would drop 120 grand on a sports car.
The regular NSX gets slightly worse mileage than the Z06. You're welcome to dig up mileage figures on the NSX-R... maybe it gets better than the regular NSX, but I really doubt it, and again, I'm not sure how it matters at all in this class of car. That's a ricer arguement if I ever heard one.

You, and the other dude, you got lucky this time...... Be thankful that the Z06 barely beat it.
To be blunt, I and the other dude didn't get lucky - we just know what we are talking about. You on the other hand appear to have developed a bit of an Acura fetish, judging by your signature, and have probably been hearing the guys on those Acura forums singing the praises of everything Honda touches. Honda/Acura makes some great products, in fact your TL is one of their cars I have always enjoyed - I recommended one to my friend. But that doesn't make them untouchable.
Old 05-13-07, 08:02 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
If anything this test busts the myth of "sports car" known as 3 series. It may be the best handler when compared to other lux sedans but is far away from being a sports car. Actually it never was one, 3 series is a great luxo GT car and it shows it and that is fine in my book.

BTW track times don't mean a lot. If track has longer straights than curves cars with higher output will always dominate no matter what. Maybe they should have put the cars on some street circuit too.

I am not surprised Porsche won the competition. Damn for that much money it better do something extraordinary. But car that fascinates me is Evo. It does have capabilities almost like a Porsche or Z06 yet it costs 4 and 2 times less. Amazing value if you are a performance freak!
Old 05-13-07, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Where is Arial Atom?
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/04/frames.htm

Quick Reply: Motor Trend crowns world's best-handling car . . .