Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend crowns world's best-handling car . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 09:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

See why I cancelled the subscription?

I love the pictures, just not the articles.

Add me to the list of why no ZO6
Old 05-13-07, 05:12 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It won on sheer HP and torque. Contrary to what everybody seems to think, the 3 series doesn't handle that well at all. It may have good steering feedback and feel, but the actual handling is rather average, and the ride quality sucks.
Haha, contrary to what everybody seems to think. You ever get the feeling when everyone else disagrees with you, maybe you're the one that's wrong?
Old 05-13-07, 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There is SOME truth to what Och is saying about the 3-series....not as much as he stresses it. Though the 3-series, in fact, DOES handle well, as witnessed by its slalom speeds, some of that so-called "handling" is actually BMW's superb power steering feel, which is enough to bring a smile to the face of even Chris Bangle-haters like me.
Old 05-13-07, 10:00 PM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och
, the 3 series doesn't handle that well at all. It may have good steering feedback and feel, but the actual handling is rather average, and the ride quality sucks.

I have driven a 335i many times (as there is one in my family) Coming from a family of bmw's in the past.Have gone through (my dad i should say lol) e39 m5, e46 m3 - those are the 2 recent ones, many prior to that as well., the new 335i is a smoother version of the e46 m3, with handling that is like an //M car. It has a feeling of the e39 m5 due to its torque. the twin turbo 3.0 is just amazing!!! The ride of the car is much harscher than my IS but thats to be expected with its handling and road feel. Crhis bangle may have F'ed up the looks of the newer bmw's but they havent lost their soul.
Old 05-13-07, 11:06 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
See why I cancelled the subscription?

I love the pictures, just not the articles.

Add me to the list of why no ZO6
Uh... The Z06 WAS on the list. The NSX wasn't, and the reason why has already been explained.
Old 05-14-07, 07:32 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
Riiiight.

The 335i has been said to handle as well or nearly as well as the previous-gen M3, and accelerate nearly as well, too - you want to say that the pre-08 M3 doesn't handle well either?
there has been no indication that the 335i handles anything like the M3.
Old 05-14-07, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
there has been no indication that the 335i handles anything like the M3.
Correct. The 335's suspension is not as firm as the M3's......but the M3 beats the hell out of you over rough roads. Threxx is partly correct, though...from my own admittedly limited experience with both cars, the difference is not that great. Considering its more civilized ride-handling combination, and lower price, IMO the 335 is a better buy.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-14-07 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-16-07, 06:41 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The way the e46 and 335i handle is similar, aside from the M3 being more tightly sprung. The M3 has a tighter turn in and more controlled oversteer, it's less floaty in general. As mmarshall mentioned though, the cars suspension is tuned for tracks. The 335i is a road car that handles well, no LSD and a stupid amount of ride height gimp it compared to the M3 in a track sense but overall the steering and suspension aren't all that different. The *real* difference is how the cars accelerate into and out of turns on the track, which is why the 335i often beats the M3 on the track. On a track where you can't keep high rpm's all the time the 335i has a significant advantage.

When I track my car it's pretty obvious relative to other M3 owners that they are tighter in the turns, but I rocket away in the first 2-5 seconds coming out of a tight turn as long as I can keep the inside tire from spinning.
Old 05-16-07, 07:27 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick350
I dont understand what you mean saying that is just stupid? porsche by default does beat chevy. theres nothing stupid or wrong about that statement nor is it my opinion. I knew before going through the article that porsche would win over the chevy and after going through the article proved my thoughts. Motor trend is an american company wouldnt you think they would be more biased torward the chevy?

Look and see who owns Motor Trend and who funnels cash their way.

And it IS stupid to hand Porsche the default win over Chevrolet based SOLEY on the manufacturers name!

Yes....99 out of a 100 times the Porsche will outhandle the Chevy. But to make a blanket statement that since it is a Porsche it MUST be better is pure ignorance.

This article is proof positive of that. The Z06 is nary a tick off the pace of the GT3 yet it still is relagated to next to last place above what? A CIVIC! Come on now.
Old 05-16-07, 11:15 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

This test is a load of crap unless they standardized on a fixed speed for all test cars from the beginning of the test to the end. i.e. start timing the cars when they enter a slalom course or begin maneuvers at 60mph.

We're talking about best handling cars right? not fastest?
Old 05-16-07, 03:18 PM
LexFather

I read this at Borders and lauged out loud.

Old 05-16-07, 04:03 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leedogg
This test is a load of crap unless they standardized on a fixed speed for all test cars from the beginning of the test to the end. i.e. start timing the cars when they enter a slalom course or begin maneuvers at 60mph.

We're talking about best handling cars right? not fastest?
Part of the way a car handles is determined by its acceleration characteristics, understeer, oversteer, traction, and braking - things that require realistic changes in speed, angle, and approach to determine. You can't just turn a car around in a graduating slalom and skidpad and say 'test over'.

I saw more quantitative analysis in that article than I have EVER seen from ANY car editorial in the past. I say big to motor trend for that article...
Old 05-16-07, 09:04 PM
l4wr3nc3
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

why is the 335 on their. Its far from the world's best handling car. AND It doesn't even have LSD! Tripod mode through turns FTL!