Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on the Mazda CX-9?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 05:41 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Thoughts on the Mazda CX-9?

Last night when I got out of church, I found a new CX-9 parked next to my RX-330. Just a couple hours earlier I had seen an identical model on the freeway, and had been impressed with the look. On closer inspection - and a direct comparison with the RX, I was surprised.

The CX-9 is slightly larger than the RX, is tastefully outfitted (at least the GT version) and wears its well-tailored bodywork like a casual but expensive suit. Some reviewers are saying it is a bit more of a driver's car than the competition, having reached a new accommodation with comfort and performance in this new model. Fit and finish seem to be flawless, and I was shocked to discover it has a usable third row seat, with still a bit of usable cargo area, and it is priced a bit more than $10K UNDER my similarly-equipped RX. Now a third row of seating is about as useful to me as a set of gold lugnuts, too bad they're not a delete option. But the cargo area is capacious behind the second row with the third-row stowed.

There are a couple of features I'm not wild about: the slightly too-heavy chrome bar on the grill and tailgate, and the inability to accommodate both a moonroof and a RSES simultaneously. The engine may be a bit of a thrasher, producing horsepower at high revs, and while vinyl substitutes for leather on the door panels, that's probably acceptable if well-executed. Otherwise, given a year or so to work out the kinks, it may find its way to my shortlist for an RX replacement. Thoughts?
Old 05-14-07, 08:07 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's an RSES?
Old 05-14-07, 08:11 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thetopdog
What's an RSES?
rear seat entertainment system.

I'm going to be buying one of these type of vehicles, MDX, Hyundai Veracruz, new Highlander or CX-9. It looks as if the Pilot won't be out until next year.

The MDX seems to be the better truck but costs a lot more than the Mazda or Hyundai. The Highlander will be out this summer/fall so we'll see how that is.

Last edited by rai; 05-14-07 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-14-07, 08:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

As a recent first time Mazda owner, I'm becoming a bit more familiar with their product line. The CX-7 and CX-9 are great, and excellent value.

Lil4X - I wouldn't be surprised if either are not as quiet as your RX on the highway though, so you'd need to check that. The engines though are very quiet.

Mazda is a on a huge roll product-wise. My salesman told me though his biggest frustration is not having enough inventory for people to look at.

But competition isn't standing still, with Hyundai's new offering (Santa Fe?), Mitsubisher (Outlook?), Saturn, etc. I haven't looked at one, but I bet even the new Honda CR-V is very nice.

It's a great time to be looking at SUVs.
Old 05-14-07, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Do I sense a request here from you guys for a CX-9 review?

(I've already done the CX-7)
Old 05-14-07, 09:59 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mmarshall - go for it man.

my parents are thinking about buying the CX. it's a REALLY nice car for the money. mazda is undergoing a huge image change like subaru did several years back - i believe they're going to be the new hot entry level import brand.
Old 05-14-07, 10:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you have a budget CX-9, if you want more luxury and tech go for the MDX
Old 05-14-07, 10:43 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen the CX-9 and it looks fantastic. mmarshall, do a review =).

man.. if I only I had the chance like you do lol. All my test drives are me sucking up to the dealership at the automall into letting me test drive :P. I've done a few.
Old 05-14-07, 10:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Toyota down here must have been reading my posts, as they were very nice to let me take a test drive on a Landcruiser this morning (something not possible before).

CX-9 is a very nice vehicle. Only slant I give against it is that it took one about a 1/2 mile going uphill, going neck and neck to overtake me on the highway near me.
Old 05-14-07, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cliffud
mmarshall - go for it man.
OK, you got it. The CX-9's on my schedule. I'll do a 3.5L, AWD, Sport version unless none are available...then I'll do a Touring or Grand Touring.
Old 05-14-07, 02:06 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, you got it. The CX-9's on my schedule. I'll do a 3.5L, AWD, Sport version unless none are available...then I'll do a Touring or Grand Touring.

Didn't you post up a revies from R&T about the CX-7, MDX, and RDX and the mazda was first place.. I swear i read that recently on here? Thanks

Tony
Old 05-14-07, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I'd recommend going for the GT since this is a luxury forum.
Old 05-14-07, 02:17 PM
rai
Lead Lap

I'd like to hear how you like it compared to the MDX. I like the MDX for it's class leading power but not so much it's style.
Old 05-14-07, 03:22 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to the Mazda dealer for service on my Mazda MPV and decided to take a look at the CX-9.

It is much larger than the Mazda MPV, it is similar in size with the Toyota Sienna. It feels a lot wider and the quality seems to be quite good. I found the interior not that much bigger than that of the MPV. I did find the third row rather useful and roomy especially compared with the MDX I sat in the NYIAS. The third row is the only usable SUV third row I have been in imo other than the Expedition\Nav and GL 450. I think it's a nice SUV with a decent price. I think it's a better value than some of the other SUVs in it's market. The only downsize I feel is Mazda screwed themselves over not bring the new MPV over because even though it's not the size of the Odyssey , Sienna and the rest of the others, I felt the size was just right. Now people looking at the Mazda only have this big CX-9 or smaller CX-7.
Old 05-15-07, 03:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Didn't you post up a revies from R&T about the CX-7, MDX, and RDX and the mazda was first place.. I swear i read that recently on here? Thanks

Tony
No. I do my own reviews, give my own opinions, and open the thread up for discussion.