Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any links to 07 Camry dyno runs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 02:16 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
they seem to cling to the old myth of torque being what governs a cars acceleration.
Heh... well without torque you cannot achieve power. So it goes kind of govern acceleration since without it, you aren't going to go anywhere!
Old 05-15-07, 02:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
I wouldn't be too quick to believe the MPG numbers. We bought our ES thinking "hey, 30 MPG! That's awesome!", only to wake up to the grim reality that the car has never turned better than 25.8 MPG in all-highway driving. I'm hoping that the new mileage ratings system starts showing what cars are actually capable of in real world driving.
I get 30-33 mpg in our ES in all highway driving. 32-33 mpg if I run 65-75 depending on traffic, and 29-31 mpg @ 75-80 mph. In suburban expressway driving it's 26-27 depending on speed and congestion. So far (owned the car 1 year) I'm satisfied with the gas mileage.
Old 05-15-07, 04:58 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just show him that.
Old 05-15-07, 05:45 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice

Thanks for the input guys... this place looks like its going to be my 3rd home on internet forums. I got one for my streetbike, one for my video games, and now one for my (future) car.

Old 05-15-07, 05:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ff_
I wouldn't be too quick to believe the MPG numbers. We bought our ES thinking "hey, 30 MPG! That's awesome!", only to wake up to the grim reality that the car has never turned better than 25.8 MPG in all-highway driving. I'm hoping that the new mileage ratings system starts showing what cars are actually capable of in real world driving.
It all depends on how you drive, and whether or not you keep the car maintained for optimal fuel economy.

You may not get 30 mpg in your ES, but a large number of ES owners in fact do get 30 mpg on the highway, and some even more.

EPA ratings are a guideline. Even with the revised 2008 EPA ratings, they are still a guideline, not a 100% accurate specification. The EPA will never be able to give anything more than a guideline in terms of fuel economy, because there are far too many factors and variables than affect fuel economy for each individual in different ways.
Old 05-15-07, 07:18 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It all depends on how you drive, and whether or not you keep the car maintained for optimal fuel economy.
I run synthetic oil, and follow all the maintenance guidelines. As far as highway driving, it's 70 MPH (max) all the way. I make every effort to maximize mileage by minimizing throttle input, coasting down hills, etc. Tires all inflated to 32 PSI. Mileage stinks.

I know it's not my driving style or maintenance habits, because I've always been able to achieve (or improve upon) the mileage estimates in the Hondas I've owned, as well as the 2 BMWs. The S2000 I owned would regular reward me with 30+ MPG in mixed driving, even though it was rated at 25 MPG highway.

I really think there might be something wrong with the Lexus because the engine performance is pretty lackluster for how much torque it puts out. But like Threxx mentioned, good luck convincing Toyota of that.
Old 05-15-07, 07:34 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0715/p12s01-wmgn.html

• Highway speeds. The EPA highway test sets an average speed of 48 miles per hour and a top speed of 60 m.p.h. - despite the fact many states have raised their limit to 65 m.p.h. or higher. Fuel economy can fall by 17 percent for vehicles going at a more typical 70 m.p.h.

• Traffic jams. In 1982, urban congestion added seven hours a year to the average person's annual travel, UCS says, compared with 26 hours a year in 2001. In its petition, Bluewater cited a study of 68 US urban areas in which delays rose from 11 hours in 1982 to 36 hours in 1999.

• Quick starts. Maximum acceleration in the EPA test is 3.3 m.p.h. per second, about the same as zero-to-60 m.p.h. in 18 seconds. The typical new truck or car can accelerate almost twice as fast. The EPA's own data, UCS says, show that people accelerate about five times as fast as the test.

• Air conditioning. The EPA fuel-economy tests are run with air conditioning off, even though 99 percent of all cars and trucks have it, UCS says.
Old 05-15-07, 10:08 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Just tell him stock for stock the 2GR-FSE V6 in the IS350 is FAR MORE Superior than the Mustang V6 and V8.
So the IS350 is better than this for performance...Out of the box?

Old 05-15-07, 10:17 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

^ cobra is kind of a 'special edition' though, isn't it? comparable to a sc/turbo version of the lexus. though the stang is probably still faster.
Old 05-16-07, 07:23 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdoggg1
^ cobra is kind of a 'special edition' though, isn't it? comparable to a sc/turbo version of the lexus. though the stang is probably still faster.
Not really, Roush or Saleen are more Special than the Cobra.
Old 05-16-07, 07:35 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iobidder

13.4 N/A 6 cylinder

13.4 S/C V8

you be the judge
Old 05-16-07, 08:22 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkorsu
13.4 N/A 6 cylinder

13.4 S/C V8

you be the judge
Ok, point taken, however stock I see 12.43@113mph for the 2003 Cobra

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (5 Speed) 13.2 in a 1/4 mile

So judging, I go Cobra > IS350 for out of the box performance.

No as far as gas is concerned, comfort, luxury, and performance, IS350, no question about that.
Old 05-16-07, 08:29 AM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Not really, Roush or Saleen are more Special than the Cobra.
Cobra is basically like a M-series bmw. roush/saleen would be like a dinan. So yes, i'd consider it special since you wouldnt find it on the average lot unless it was special ordered. All i'm saying is that its not the best comparison since its factory tuned (svt), not really a 'normal production' model
Old 05-16-07, 08:52 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

If you notice.. LOL I said GT.

I know what Cobras are capable of and I hope so considering they have a MUCH larger engine a super charger on top of that. = /

One of my buddies that has a Cobra that puts down over 400 hp at the wheel. I said STOCK for STOCK.

Say what you will but that generation Cobra has a hard time STOCK wise passing a NEW GT Mustang, and from stop light to stop light the new GT Mustang has an issue keeping up with my IS. Even Mach 1 mustangs unless the driver is worth while have a hard time breaking out of the LOW 13's. Ford's transmission is not the greatest and if you're any type of domestic buff .. well you already know this.

Now do the mustangs put down more torque.. stock wise? Yeah. DO they dyno higher.. Probably, but.. their gearing isn't that aggressive and as I said before they got that good ole Ford Tranny.

Toyota/Chevy For life People!
Old 05-16-07, 09:12 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Cobra is basically like a M-series bmw. roush/saleen would be like a dinan
Never really took the time to think of it that way since Dinan for BMW is actually aftermarket, so your analogy is void.
So yes, i'd consider it special since you wouldnt find it on the average lot unless it was special ordered. All i'm saying is that its not the best comparison since its factory tuned (svt), not really a 'normal production' model
You don't need to special order a Cobra, they are sitting at Ford Dealers as we speak. I am not trying to be harsh here, but there is a NORMAL production of Cobra's, and Roush's. Saleen is special order. Nevertheless, I responded above, and after looking further, he did say stock GT Mustang. So my mistake.

If you notice.. LOL I said GT.
Yes you did, my mistake
I know what Cobras are capable of and I hope so considering they have a MUCH larger engine a super charger on top of that. = /

One of my buddies that has a Cobra that puts down over 400 hp at the wheel. I said STOCK for STOCK.

Say what you will but that generation Cobra has a hard time STOCK wise passing a NEW GT Mustang, and from stop light to stop light the new GT Mustang has an issue keeping up with my IS. Even Mach 1 mustangs unless the driver is worth while have a hard time breaking out of the LOW 13's. Ford's transmission is not the greatest and if you're any type of domestic buff .. well you already know this.

Now do the mustangs put down more torque.. stock wise? Yeah. DO they dyno higher.. Probably, but.. their gearing isn't that aggressive and as I said before they got that good ole Ford Tranny.

Toyota/Chevy For life People!
True true (Except for the Toyota and Chevy part)....

Quick Reply: Any links to 07 Camry dyno runs?