Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Survey finds Miami worst road rage city

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 11:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Survey finds Miami worst road rage city

Survey finds Miami worst road rage city
POSTED: 12:43 a.m. EDT, May 15, 2007

Story Highlights
• NEW: Miami is the epicenter of road rage in the U.S.
• It's the second consecutive year the city has earned the title
• More than 2,500 commuters across the nation were surveyed

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- For the second consecutive year, rude Miami drivers have earned the city the title of worst road rage in a survey released Tuesday.

Miami motorists said they saw other drivers slam on their brakes, run red lights and talk on cell phones, according to AutoVantage, a Connecticut-based automobile membership club offering travel services and roadside assistance.

Other cities near the top of the rude drivers list were New York, Boston, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.

South Miami resident Erik Pinto told The Associated Press that he has probably seen every bad driving habit on Miami's roads.

"You don't want to know what I've seen," Pinto said. "I've seen everything. I'm from L.A., and we don't see the crazy drivers that you see here."

The most courteous drivers can be found in Portland, Oregon; Pittsburgh; the Seattle-Tacoma area; St. Louis; and Dallas-Fort Worth, the survey found.

Portland drivers were the least likely to see other motorists tailgating on the roadways, and St. Louis motorists were the least likely to swear at another driver, according to the survey.

Minneapolis-St. Paul was rated the most courteous city in 2006 but fell to No. 12 this year.

The most frequent cause of road rage cited in the survey was impatient motorists. Drivers also said road rage can stem from poor driving in fast lanes and driving while stressed, frustrated or angry.

"The best piece of advice is to take a deep breath. Slow down, be aware and be careful," AutoVantage spokesman Todd Smith said, adding the aim of the survey is to increase driver safety across the nation.

More than 2,500 drivers who regularly commute in 25 major metropolitan areas were asked to rate road rage and rude driving in telephone surveys between January and March.

The survey was conducted by Prince Market Research has a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.
MORE : http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/15/roa....ap/index.html
Old 05-16-07, 12:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Having learned to drive there, I unhappily agree, but nothing compares to Mexico City
Old 05-16-07, 01:36 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My favorite thing while driving in South Florida is that everybody runs through first few seconds of red light, even cops.
Old 05-16-07, 04:07 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can definately agree with that, been in a few incidents myself the few times Ive gone down there
Old 05-16-07, 06:05 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other cities near the top of the rude drivers list were New York, Boston, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.
Which stands to reason, because this is where all the Miami area residents moved here from. The driving in Tampa is not much better. It's absolutely no surprise when you come across stupid accidents everywhere you drive around here. And find yourself literally dodging a head-on collision or t-bone almost everytime you go out somewhere. You really have to have your guards up.

It's also no wonder that our auto insurance premiums are so high.

And Vladi, you're right. The cops are just as bad as everyone else. Yakking on cell phones while they drive, running red lights, not stopping for stop signs, barreling through residential streets at well above the sane limit. I see it all the time. Problem is, if there's no recourse to the driving behavior, then there's no reason for people to change what they're doing.
Old 05-16-07, 07:05 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously these people haven't surveyed New Orleans LA.

That winds hands down.
Old 05-16-07, 07:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Driving retirees + sunscreen in your eyes = bad drivers on the road = road rage...
Old 05-16-07, 08:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

That's why I don't live in or near a major city any longer. While I got over road rage myself several years ago, it's still nerve-wracking driving among tons of manic and distracted people!
Old 05-16-07, 08:56 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vladi
My favorite thing while driving in South Florida is that everybody runs through first few seconds of red light, even cops.
Here in Sarasota pretty much all the lights are timed to have red in all directions for 2 or 3 seconds so that you can run the red lights and not worry about hitting anyone.
Old 05-16-07, 11:03 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Isn't the setting of Grand Theft Auto based on Miami?
Old 05-16-07, 12:54 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Driving retirees + sunscreen in your eyes + Heats playoff performance = road rage...
fixed for truth
Old 05-16-07, 12:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
Here in Sarasota pretty much all the lights are timed to have red in all directions for 2 or 3 seconds so that you can run the red lights and not worry about hitting anyone.
I have a friend in Bradenton and that is exactly the way he describes it. I plan to move back there soon.
Old 05-16-07, 01:38 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have a friend in Bradenton and that is exactly the way he describes it. I plan to move back there soon.

I live in the Sarasota/Bradenton area and it doesnt seem that bad to me
Old 05-16-07, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What do you expect? A significant part of South Florida's population is IN the country illegally, voting illegally (as witnessed by the Election 2000 screw-up), probably driving on fake licenses and registration (or NO licenses and NO registration), and in stolen or otherwise illegally-gotten vehicles. So is it any WONDER that they don't know how to drive by American standards?

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-07 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-16-07, 07:16 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

They are rude + angry because they are transplanted New Yorkers

Quick Reply: Survey finds Miami worst road rage city