Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac will drop DTS or STS

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 04:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Cadillac has restructured so much they don't even know who THEY are at the moment. They might as well drop everything and come out with the L-M-N-O-P line......
Old 05-16-07, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
On the DTS vs. STS debate I'd vote for dropping them both and bringing back a "throwback" big floaty RWD platform.

The Fleetwood is SORELY missed by many of Caddy's white-haired veterans today....and these are the people that kept Caddy going through its lean years. lately, Cadillac, in a rather contemptuous manner, has, lately, all but ignored them in order to try and attract the BMW crowd. Well, guess what? Today's sport-sedan crowd is tomorrow's soft-riding luxury-car buyers, and Cadillac, the way things are going, will not have anything for them.
Old 05-16-07, 05:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The whole Caddy lineup nowadays is way too flashy and bling bling for my tastes. It lacks any sense of class whatsoever.
Old 05-16-07, 05:40 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Cadillac has restructured so much they don't even know who THEY are at the moment. They might as well drop everything and come out with the L-M-N-O-P line......
Agreed. At least I certainly don't know who they are. This whole thread is meaningless to me, as I don't know the difference between the CTS, DTS, and STS. I don't know which are bigger than others, more sporty than others, etc. The whole naming convention is silly and (aside from the Escalade) I have no idea what Cadillac is trying to do or be these days. Am I alone? I doubt it...
Old 05-16-07, 05:43 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Make the CTS compete with the 5 series class of cars....it really floats between the 3 and the 5 and needs to be better defined. Smaller than CTS to compete with the 3 series class. Combine the best of the STS & DTS for a 7series class size competitor.
MR_F1's got it
Old 05-16-07, 06:25 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The DTS will remain as the STS is being outshined by the CTS.. Caddy has to satisfy the loyalists...These folks..

Old 05-16-07, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The DTS will remain as the STS is being outshined by the CTS.. Caddy has to satisfy the loyalists...These folks..

Agreed, DASH......but contrary to popular belief, the the DTS/DeVille appeals to more than JUST Grandpa and Grandma. That is a myth.
Old 05-16-07, 07:00 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Caddy needs the DTS. Its their bread and butter. I see way more DTS (regular and pimped out) around NYC. I like the STS better, especially the STS-V but Caddy can't really just abandon their core market. I don't think Caddy needs the BLS, not in the US anyway. The CTS should be designed to compete with the 3 series/C class and the STS should be positioned to compete with the 5 series/E class. The DTS should be the old American throwback and they need a uber-sedan to compete with the 7 series/S class. I think the way they have the cars now is logical... each of Caddy's offerings are slightly bigger in size than what they compete with (more room). Dropping either the DTS or STS is not a good move. Instead of narrowing down and reinventing themselves again, try improving and focusing what they already have.
Old 05-16-07, 08:33 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Iceman
Agreed. At least I certainly don't know who they are. This whole thread is meaningless to me, as I don't know the difference between the CTS, DTS, and STS. I don't know which are bigger than others, more sporty than others, etc. The whole naming convention is silly and (aside from the Escalade) I have no idea what Cadillac is trying to do or be these days. Am I alone? I doubt it...
The naming convention is really not that complicated. They're still using the old names, the Seville is the Seville Touring Sedan (STS), the Deville is the Deville Touring Sedan (DTS) and the CTS is the Catera? Touring Sedan. They've been using forms of the 3 letter abbreviations for like 10 years now
Old 05-16-07, 08:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
The naming convention is really not that complicated. They're still using the old names, the Seville is the Seville Touring Sedan (STS), the Deville is the Deville Touring Sedan (DTS) and the CTS is the Catera? Touring Sedan. They've been using forms of the 3 letter abbreviations for like 10 years now
It may not be complicated, but it confuses people that are used to old names. People remember Deville, Seville, Fleetwood, Eldorado, and these new abbreviations are confusing. Just like if Lexus decided to rename their lineup to Aristo, Altezza, Celsior, etc, people would be confused. The bottom line is, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 05-16-07, 09:04 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
It may not be complicated, but it confuses people that are used to old names. People remember Deville, Seville, Fleetwood, Eldorado, and these new abbreviations are confusing. Just like if Lexus decided to rename their lineup to Aristo, Altezza, Celsior, etc, people would be confused. The bottom line is, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
It's not really like your example, because those are completely different names. The top level Seville has been called the Seville STS since 1993. Now it's just STS, but it's not like anybody is going to think STS is entirely new when they've been using it as a model of Seville for 14 years now

You're not the only one to complain about this though, so maybe you have a point and I just follow Cadillac too closely and assume everybody knows as much about them as I do. They should just keep the name as "Seville STS" and get the best of both worlds
Old 05-16-07, 09:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah.. I remember when there was also the Seville SLS. Looks like they tried to become a little sportier with their "T" models - CTS, STS, DTS and dropping the "L" models - Deville DLS, Seville SLS.

Frankly, the Escalade is too much bling. The ONLY people I see driving them now are those who got rich quick and want to show off or need to compensate for something.

The new DTS has also gotten worse IMO. My friend still has a '92 Deville with a 200hp Northstar V8. Even though it's purple (or whatever that popular colour is), to me it looks a hell lot better than the new DTS.
Old 05-16-07, 10:24 PM
LexFather

They need to keep both. In America, the elderly population is about to explode. They do not want hard riding 40 series tire cars.

Caddy needs to embrace their heritage of cushy cars, not act like they are BMW.

Old 05-16-07, 11:32 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they need to learn something from lexus, like having ES and GS to offer for the mid-size range.
Old 05-17-07, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They need to keep both. In America, the elderly population is about to explode. They do not want hard riding 40 series tire cars.

Caddy needs to embrace their heritage of cushy cars, not act like they are BMW.

That right there is part of the problem, Mike. Even if Caddy DOES keep their larger, more traditional cars, they need to stop trying to make German sports sedans out of them and put back the cushy-riding tires, suspensions, and hood ornaments. Meanwhile, of course, they can keep the CTS and the V-series high-performance cars for the sport-sedan crowd.

Lexus, unfortunately, needs to do the same thing with the new ES350...it, also, has been compromised into more of a sports sedan....when Lexus already HAS the IS and GS.

Quick Reply: Cadillac will drop DTS or STS