Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda CR-V knocks Ford Explorer out of #1 SUV spot

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 05:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The CRV has always been a great seller. I tend to notice that most cars there were popular from the beginning will stay popular for awhile.
Old 05-16-07, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Another reason for the CRV's popularity, besides the obvious versatility and all-weather capability, is reliability. For some time it has been one of the most reliable vehicles in Consumer Reports' database, despite its mechanical comepexity.......which is saying something, considering that its AWD system, based on a transverse-mounted engine, is more complex than that of either Subaru or Audi.
Old 05-17-07, 07:26 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
So really isn't the CR-V a CUV? Isn't it based off the a car frame instead of a truck?

Maybe America doesn't car about utility and is more concerned about space? You certainly aren't towing a boat with a CR-V.
I had always heard that the first CR-V was based on the Civic platform. And according to the local Honda dealer, the new CR-V has its own platform (probably shared with the Acura RDX).
Old 05-17-07, 07:36 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that so many consumers find Honda products attractive and yet the majority of people on CLUB LEXUS think all Honda's are ugly? I'm still laughing at those that said the Camry was better looking that the Accord.... have you guys seen the nose on that Camry?
Old 05-17-07, 08:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Why is it that so many consumers find Honda products attractive and yet the majority of people on CLUB LEXUS think all Honda's are ugly? I'm still laughing at those that said the Camry was better looking that the Accord.... have you guys seen the nose on that Camry?
Accord is defenately much better looking than a Camry, and the newest Camry is downright fugly. The last good looking Camry was the one in the picture below, and then it's got uglier and uglier with every generation. But then lately Honda has been making some fugly car's as well. Just take the Civic for istance, remember the gorgeous 5th and 6th gens (92-95, 96-2001)? And then remember that vanilla looking thing introduced in 2001? And the newest installment is fuglier than the fugliest Saturn. And what did they do to the MDX? Or the new RDX? How aboout some Honda/Acura concepts, that look like, as 1SickLex nicely put, robot ******?

Last edited by Och; 05-17-07 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-17-07, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Many people think Honda's are ugly, they just sell on other merits, reliability, fuel efficiency, easy to use, good power, good packaging.

By you saying the "majority" of Clublexus, I am assuming you have a poll or some data to back that up, since you are stereotyping an entire forum?

IMO, the Camry does look better than the Accord. Have you seen the nose on the Accord? However, both are not beauty winners and both are just odd from most angles, so saying one is prettier than the other is saying fat Oprah is better than skinny Oprah

However, in closing, let me school you and others with some facts, that the Accord is ugly and OWNERS admit it.

Right here.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4480

R&T Owners Suvey. Owners themselves dislike the STYLING of their own, ugly car.

This could be a first. We’ve been asking Road & Track readers to share experiences with their cars for more than three decades. And we can’t recall when our Owner Survey respondents didn’t put styling among their cars’ strong points. But with regard to Honda’s 2003–2005 Accord, styling somehow missed the list of the owner’s favorite features.

Indeed, it’s not just that these Honda owners were indifferent to the look of their cars; many actually disliked it. The owners placed “exterior styling” second on their list of the Accord’s five worst attributes — yet another first.

The most positive comment the owners could muster came from a San Franciscan who wrote, “We were going to buy a Camry, but the Accord won us over with its less boring styling.”

Not exactly a rousing endorsement of the Accord’s looks.

Ever since 1927, when General Motors revolutionized the automotive industry by establishing the GM Art and Color Section, it’s been the common wisdom that styling sells cars. “Styling puts punch into modern merchandizing. It is the subtle stuff of sales leadership,” said GM design guru Harley Earl.

Yet despite the car’s lackluster looks, buyers snap up Accords.
The Honda continues to rank second among the best-selling passenger cars in the land, just as it has for the better part of a decade.

So does the Accord represent something of a paradigm shift? Probably not. There’s still no overestimating the emotional pull of beautiful styling when it comes to enticing car buyers. But the Accord’s many practical strengths — reliability, performance, value — simply trump styling, say our readers.

Which leads us to muse about what might happen should Honda ever add knock-out style to the list of Accord attributes. The company would likely rule the automotive world.

The subject of this Owner Survey is the seventh-generation Accord, which came to market when Honda performed a major makeover of the car for model year 2003. Styling of the Accord sedan was, as we said at the time, “cautiously evolutionary.” The Accord coupe’s design was a little more daring, as it borrowed cues from the S2000 roadster. Both the sedan and coupe remain essentially the same to this day, though for 2006, Honda gave them subtle facelifts — notably, new front and rear bumpers and restyled wheels.

Of the 300 Accords in this Owner Survey — one of the largest sample sizes we’ve ever had — about two-thirds of the cars were 2003 models and the remaining third were 2004 models. There were just a handful of 2005 editions. As always in our Owner Surveys, we asked the respondents to fill out our questionnaire only if they had purchased their car when new and had driven it a minimum of 10,000 miles. The vast majority — 78 percent — of the Hondas had accumulated between 10,000 and 30,000 miles.

Twenty-seven percent of the cars surveyed were coupes, and the remainder were sedans. Only 16 percent of the owners selected a manual transmission; the majority drove with Honda’s smooth-shifting 5-speed auto- matic. Both the sedan and coupe were available with either a fuel-miserly 160-bhp inline-4 or, for more performance-inclined buyers, a 240-bhp V-6; our readers split 60 percent/40 percent in favor of the V-6.

With regard to the hot topic of fuel economy in this age of expensive gasoline, we didn’t break out the survey results by engine. But 45 percent of all the owners reported finding their cars’ average fuel economy ranged between 21 and 25 mpg, while 40 percent reported economy between 26 and 30 mpg. We’d presume the 4-cylinder cars generally achieved the better fuel economy.

To say that our Honda owners were generally satisfied with their Accords is an understatement. Many — maybe even most — were downright ecstatic about their cars, judging by their written comments. From Columbus, Ohio: “I’ve owned 22 cars over the past 36 years, including many prestigious European marques. But this is the best car I have owned.”

From Gastonia, North Carolina: “This is the best car I have owned. It’s reliable, inexpensive and semi-sporty. Good fuel economy and excellent crash-test scores don’t hurt either.”

And from Great Falls, Montana: “My 2004 Honda Accord is a fantastic car that exceeds expectations in all areas.”

When we asked the owners to name the five most important reasons that led them to buy an Accord, they named reliability/durability, good value/price, performance/acceleration, and engineering, as well as previous experience with same make/model. It seems more than a few of the survey respondents were longtime Honda loyalists.

An owner from Petersburg, Illinois, wrote, “This is my sixth Honda. There’s nothing like them for the money. In 500,000 miles of driving, I only have purchased a thermostat!”

Another Accord owner, from Long Island, New York, said, “My wife and I have owned seven Accords since 1982. They have all been pretty near perfect.”

Although performance/acceleration ranked third on the list of reasons to buy, we noted that it became the survey respondents’ number-one favorite feature after they’d owned their Accords for a while, even surpassing Honda’s renowned reliability. Not surprisingly, V-6 coupe owners were among the most enthusiastic:

2003-2004 Honda Accord Detail “The car has all the virtues of the prior Accords my family has owned, plus the fun of rowing the 6-speed stick and enough power to get the drop on unsuspecting hot rods,” wrote a coupe owner from Jacksonville, Florida. “I have six cylinders and six speeds. It’s quick and nimble, yet luxurious and comfortable — the perfect middle-age man’s sports car,” wrote a Canadian coupe owner from Burlington, Ontario.

When it came to complaints about their cars, many of the Accord owners found themselves hard-put to name five. “I’m stretching to find five things I dislike about the car,” wrote an owner from Atlanta, Georgia. “It’s sort of like picking the five worst attributes of chocolate.”

And from Baltimore, Maryland, an owner wrote, “If I sat here for five days, I could not think of five worst attributes.”

Indeed, none of the items on our survey form’s checklist gathered very many checks. The top “worst” attribute received just 81 votes out of 300, and it was a fairly innocuous matter: warranty. Evidently, the Accord owners feel that Honda should match certain Korean automakers who offer lengthy warranties, especially for their vehicles’ powertrains. As of 2006, Honda did increase its powertrain warranty, to 5 years/60,000 miles, though its bumper-to-bumper warranty remains 3 years/36,000 miles. “With a product this good, why not offer a longer warranty?” asked a Cumberland, Rhode Island, owner.

Other disliked items: lack of quietness, trunk size, seat comfort, dealer service/parts availability and, of course, styling. But none of these items was checked off on our questionnaire by more than 25 percent of the owners. We can’t explain why dealer service showed up on the gripe list. When we specifically asked the owners to rate Honda dealer service, 85 percent said it was either good or excellent. Among our more recent surveys, the Honda dealers rated higher than Porsche dealers (82 percent from Boxster owners), Mazda dealers (81 percent from Miata owners) and Audi dealers (79 percent from A4 owners).

Moreover, only 15 percent of the Accord owners had to leave their car at the dealer for more than a day because a necessary repair part wasn’t on hand. That’s very low as our surveys go. For instance, 33 percent of Mercedes-Benz E-Class owners, 32 percent of Corvette owners and 27 percent of Boxster owners reported that they waited more than a day for parts.

FIVE WORST ATTRIBUTES
Warranty
Exterior styling
Noise
Dealer service/parts availability
Seat comfort (tie)
Trunk size (tie)

I rest my case. If you want to argue with owners, go ahead.