Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CAR: Infiniti in Europe "A copy of Lexus"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 03:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
As a matter of fact I know quite a few European drivers and have spent considerable time on the continent. It's quite a different place altogether as far as the demands they put thier autos through. The driver sensibility is very different from the American driver. Just look at the products. And excuse me but "European crapboxes". Have you really looked at what's available in Europe from a design and engineering standpoint? That statement boggles my mind.
So you're saying that all drivers in Europe are sophisticated and prefer firm ride and handling over space and luxury? Give me a break. They must all be cocky males in early 20ies, there must be no females, no elderly people, and they must not have kids. And about European crapboxes, well, have you seen what they drive? The cars over there are very much like Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit, and I don't know about design or engineering standpoint, to me they seem like cheap crapboxes.

Secondly, I find your statement about most Europeans not being able to afford entry level Lexus (or BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar... hey they're expensive over there too) irrelevant. We're talking upscale buyers and they most certainly can afford anything Lexus has to offer.
There are rich people everywhere that can afford top of the line luxury cars, but these people are too few. Lexus, and other luxury makers, bread and butter is upper middle class. In USA anyone in the upper middle class is able to afford payments on Lexus entry level models, but that's not the case in Europe. Add high gas prices into the mix, and situation is even worse. Europe is just not a very good market for Luxury makers, and thats why BMW sells lower end models, like 120D, that basically can't hold a candle to our Civics and Corollas, and even the 7 series is available with either 3.0 or 3.5 diesel engine. Does 730D really qualify as a luxury flagship when USDM V6 Camry can run circles around it?

Lexus is a great car company and you can bet that they have been doiing some great intel in competing in Europe but let's not get delusional. Europe will be a tougher nut to crack and they will have to adjust thier attack to begin to acomplish there what they did in America.
Well, that's true, its going to be very hard for them to compete in Europe because the market for true Luxury cars over there is very limited, and Lexus can start introducing cheaper models to compete with the likes of 1 series, A class, A3, etc, but I doubt that Lexus is going to compromise their image by selling crapboxes. As of now, selling 50K cars a year I think Lexus is already fairly succesful. Of course, BMW sells 12x as many, but lets now forget that BMW has a lot more models in Europe as well as bigger dealer network, more engine choices, and of course, the cheaper models that compete with Toyota and Scion, not with Lexus. If you compare Lexus sold directly againt competing BMW models sold, for instance GS350 vs 530, IS350 vs 335, LS460 vs 750, etc, the difference may not be that great.
Old 05-18-07, 03:41 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You're not looking at the WHOLE perspective. BMW's reputation in Europe as some others have mentioned is not one of a luxury maker, but more of a mainstream maker. BMWs in Europe (for the most part) are thought of on the same level as Citroens, Renaults, Opels, Toyotas. Same thing with Mercedes, where many Benz cars are taxis all over Europe. The only exceptions are the high end parts of BMWs and Benz' lineup.
I can assure you BMW IS looked upon as a luxury maker in Europe. There are three main aspirational brands in the UK and Europe and they are Mercedes, BMW and Audi (I'm obviously not counting the likes of RR, Bentley, Aston etc.) Jaguar creep in there to some extent and then VW and Honda head a list that includes Ford, Citroen, GM, FIAT, Toyota, Renault, etc. Lexus still struggle for an identity and are seen as 'posh' Toyotas - if recognised at all.
Old 05-18-07, 03:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Yes I have. I don't think an 8 sec car (to 60) with 4 cylinders is gutless. Bouncy? Have YOU sat/driven a TSX? It's anything but bouncy. If anything, it's a little too stiff for my tastes. A Lincoln Town Car is bouncy.

What you said EXACTLY describes the typical American buyer - space, power, luxury, comfort.
Well, see you like the TSX and I think it's a gutless POS. I don't know if what I said exactly describes the typical American buyer, because these days sports sedans like the TSX are a dollar a bucket, but at least here in America we have a choice. You like the sporty, firm ride, you can get the Euro Accord, aka TSX. I like cushy ride and space, I can get the Accord. In Europe, its either the TSX or nothing at all.

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The Europeans prefer compact, economical, decent power and a firm ride.
This is where I disagree. Think about it, right now we have an outbreak of sports sedans here in the US, even Caddy and Lexus are making their cars sportier and sporties. Ask yourself, why is that happening? I think it's because the American public got bored of all the car companies making only big, softly spung cars for god knows how many generations, and people want something different. On the contrary, the European public was stuck with only firm riding, small cars with manual trannies, so they wouldn't mind spacy, luxury rides with automatics. This is why the RX is doing so well over there.
Old 05-18-07, 03:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I can assure you BMW IS looked upon as a luxury maker in Europe. There are three main aspirational brands in the UK and Europe and they are Mercedes, BMW and Audi (I'm obviously not counting the likes of RR, Bentley, Aston etc.) Jaguar creep in there to some extent and then VW and Honda head a list that includes Ford, Citroen, GM, FIAT, Toyota, Renault, etc. Lexus still struggle for an identity and are seen as 'posh' Toyotas - if recognised at all.
Is 120D or 316 really luxury?
Old 05-18-07, 03:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I doubt that an A Class or a 1 Series is seen as "luxury" in the eyes of European buyers, or people who take rides in C-Class taxis. Toyota simply wants Lexus to be clearly differentiated from Toyotas.
Old 05-18-07, 03:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

In any case, back to the topic here. I think that Infiniti does have a great potential in Europe. According to many of the posters here, European drivers are a lot more "sophisticated" than American drivers, and demand higher design and engineering levers in their vehicles. So, unlike American drivers they must be able to see past the badge, and realize that at least the G35, that sells for less than a 328, is a much superior car, and it must sell in droves.
Old 05-19-07, 01:56 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
European drivers are a lot more "sophisticated" than American drivers, and demand higher design and engineering levers in their vehicles. So, unlike American drivers they must be able to see past the badge, and realize that at least the G35, that sells for less than a 328, is a much superior car, and it must sell in droves.
Are we? The reason BMW sells so many gutless 318s and 116s is because many Europeans are very badge conscious and would rather have a cardboard box on their driveway with a BMW badge on it than a Nissan however you brand it. Even BMW 1-series and low spec 3-series are seen as premium small cars and people want them. The best selling car in the UK used to be the ordinary Ford Mondeo - now the BMW 3-series outsells the Mondeo.
Old 05-19-07, 04:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, I don't necessary agree with that, in fact I think that Ghosn, or whoever is in charge of Infiniti understand premium branding very well. Right now Infiniti, unlike Lexus and Acura, does not sell a single rebadged FDW Nissan. They did the right thing by getting rid of I30/35 and G20, and Lexus should do the same with ES350 and RX350. Even though these cars generate sales volume, it's pretty meaningless, as they don't qualify as premium. Of course Infiniti needs a legit flagship, as the old Q45 was a total flop, although IMO it wasn't a bad car at all.
Well few things to note:
1. Nissans are not big in Europe. Infiniti's will struggle.
2. BMW is huge in Europe - but they sell a lot of "almost" mass market cars. 70% of 3 series sold in Germany are sold to Fleets, at average of 30% discount (same goes for Passats and MB).

So while Lexus will look to up sales in Europe (afterall Lexus doesnt have many dealerships right now, especially outside of main 3-4 countries), they wont ever come close to BMW/Audi sales since they will never compete in every market those brands compete. But thats also Lexus's chance - to appear more luxury oriented...

Infiniti - I dont know where they would start - SUV's sure, but paying premium for unknown brand, I am not so sure... Nissan sales are in free fall right now in Europe.
Old 05-19-07, 04:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well few things to note:
1. Nissans are not big in Europe. Infiniti's will struggle.
2. BMW is huge in Europe - but they sell a lot of "almost" mass market cars. 70% of 3 series sold in Germany are sold to Fleets, at average of 30% discount (same goes for Passats and MB).

So while Lexus will look to up sales in Europe (afterall Lexus doesnt have many dealerships right now, especially outside of main 3-4 countries), they wont ever come close to BMW/Audi sales since they will never compete in every market those brands compete. But thats also Lexus's chance - to appear more luxury oriented...

Infiniti - I dont know where they would start - SUV's sure, but paying premium for unknown brand, I am not so sure... Nissan sales are in free fall right now in Europe.
Doesn't Nissan have Renault's backing, and Renault is pretty big in Europe?
Old 05-20-07, 08:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Doesn't Nissan have Renault's backing, and Renault is pretty big in Europe?
Renault is big in Europe but sales and market share are dropping. Infiniti will use a new Renault diesel in 2010 for Europe.