Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy to get a Camry to sell new Malibu (Now Saturn is doing it!! pg. 3)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 11:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Chevy to get a Camry to sell new Malibu (Now Saturn is doing it!! pg. 3)

Chasing Camry
Chevy asks dealers to put a Camry in the showroom to sell Malibus

By RICK KRANZ | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Updated: 05/14/07, 12:59 pm et

Chevrolet plans to seek conquest buyers for the 2008 Malibu by asking dealers to do the unthinkable: Put a Toyota Camry in the showroom for comparison.

Cheryl Catton, Chevrolet's director of car marketing, "encouraged us to get a Camry and put it in the showroom so people can see the difference in styling, the interior, pricing and features," said one dealer. Catton suggested dealers rent a car.

Production of the restyled, re-engineered Malibu starts in October, and advertising begins in January, according to the dealers. A Chevrolet spokesman declined to comment on plans to promote the Malibu.

With 448,445 sales last year, the Camry was the best-selling car in the United States. The Malibu, with 163,853 units sold, ranked 11th.

Chevrolet needs conquest buyers for the Malibu to avoid cannibalizing sales of the popular Impala. Although slightly bigger, the Impala is also a front-wheel-drive, mid-sized car. Until General Motors launches a rear-drive Impala in late 2009, the cars could appeal to the same shoppers.

"There is potentially going to be basically the same buyer for both vehicles," said another dealer. "It is going to be a very delicate marketing challenge to keep the volume up on the Impala and build Malibu volume."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...4011/1530/FREE
Old 05-16-07, 11:44 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the new definition of suicide.
Old 05-17-07, 12:43 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Theres no comparison between a camry and a malibu
Old 05-17-07, 12:45 AM
chrispy
Forum Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Only reason to get a Malibu:

So you can feel like you're on vacation all year round in your rental car.
Old 05-17-07, 02:11 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota should respond by putting a 10 year old Chevy and a 10 year old Toyota in their show room.
Old 05-17-07, 02:54 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisES

Hahahaha. I was thinking the same thing.

"163,853 units sold..." 150,000 units which were sold to Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, and Budget.
Old 05-17-07, 03:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisES

Like......Camrys aren't rented out? That's sure news to me.
Old 05-17-07, 06:03 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you saying the Malibu doesn't compare well to the Camry - you haven't seen the new Malibu. I'd swear it didn't even come from GM - it's leagues above and beyond any redesign GM has put out. Looks REALLY nice - at least in pictures and on paper.
Old 05-17-07, 07:18 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

They wouldn't be suggesting that dealers put the Camry in the showrooms with the >> new << Malibu, if they didn't feel that it surpasses the Camry in styling, quality, and features. I've seen the new Camry, and I've seen the new GMs. I'd put a Camry in the showroom too.

You should reserve your judgement for when you actually look at the car you're dismissing as junk. The new GMs coming out are much better than the rental fleets you're used to seeing.
Old 05-17-07, 10:18 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
the new definition of suicide.

I've seen it in person and still didn't like the malibu.
Stylewise, the camry looks better than the malibu.

Heck, saturn products are much better looking.
Old 05-17-07, 10:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

One of our local BMW dealers have done the same with the Lexus RX, they actually bought one for their potential customer to test drive along with the X5 . . .

I've heard that in Chevy's case here, someone actually suggest not to buy the Camry's for each of the chevy dealerships with the unintentional effect of increasing Camry's sales , but to rent instead.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-17-07 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-17-07, 12:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
One of our local BMW dealers have done the same with the Lexus RX, they actually bought one for their potential customer to test drive along with the X5 . . .

I've heard that in Chevy's case here, someone actually suggest not to buy the Camry's for each of the chevy dealerships with the unintentional effect of increasing Camry's sales , but to rent instead.

Will BMW dealers continue that practice when the new RX comes out? Interesting nonetheless.
Old 05-17-07, 12:48 PM
A/X
Driver

I work at Hertz, we have both the camry and malibu.
1) No one ever comes to the counter and asks for a malibu
2) Malibu interior is outdated by at least 8 years
3) Most of the time when a customer asks what we have left and we tell them malibu they say "oh, you don't have anything else", then they walk off unless they are totally desperate.
...i could go on forever with examples, but I will stop here.
Also, I'm sure chevy will buy the cheapest camry available and compare it with the "top of the line" malibu
Old 05-17-07, 01:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting move.

Truth be told, I think that the playing field is more level than it has ever been between imports and domestics. I love Toyota and own only Toyotas, but I will say that I do not think the interior quality in some of their recent products, and even a few Lexus models, is where it should be. The new Camry has a few brittle, shiny plastics that many would think are uncharacteristic of a Toyota product, and I also think that the areas where dash molds and pieces line up could have been better planned.

That said, I've sat in the new Saturn Aura and also seen the new Malibu in person. The Toyota still has a hand up on both with interior quality, but GM is sure coming quickly. Their interior design is getting better, materials are higher quality, and their color range is more interesting and more appealing than Toyota's typical grey or tan with baby-poop colored wood grain. There are still a few chintzy feeling pieces in the Aura but the quality gap is no longer a mile wide.

Toyota's disadvantage comes from the fact that it's essentially fighting so many versions of the same car- the Chevy Malibu, Saturn Aura, and Pontiac G6- and while I don't think even a combination of the three is going to outsell the Camry, Toyota really does have to watch their packs because GM is no longer snoozing. Historically, Toyota and Honda didn't have to try very hard to build better sedans than the domestics, but now they are going to have to. Truthfully, the new Camry has had it's share of quality blemishes.

I do not think it will be hard for the new Accord to have a nicer interior than the Camry, because quite frankly, pieces in the current Accord feel higher quality than the new Camry.

Toyota needs to be more careful now than they ever have, and indeed they have acknowledged that. Let's just see if they keep their promise.
Old 05-17-07, 02:01 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

I did have a G6 as a rental once. It wasn't loaded up (most rentals are bare-bones fleet cars), but it had the V6, thank god. Actually, it was mildly entertaining to drive over the weekend and I thought the fit and finish was acceptable. I just hated the electric power steering and 4-speed auto with Grand Canyon gear ratios. However, styling was nice, stereo was good, and seats were supportive and firm. At least it seemed to have some character.

Quick Reply: Chevy to get a Camry to sell new Malibu (Now Saturn is doing it!! pg. 3)