Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07 | 08:32 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2008 Escape

I saw one of these on the road today. I laughed. This thing is so horrible, it's a complete box, and just ... ... ... I don't even know how to quite describe what I saw.

I think Ford really missed it with this one.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Escape-11413_yrpebllkggvxt.jpg  
Old 05-18-07 | 08:43 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Faymester
Yes, it really is a blemish on their excellent auto-making history.

I agree it's unimpressive in every respect.
Old 05-19-07 | 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
I saw one of these on the road today. I laughed. This thing is so horrible, it's a complete box, and just ... ... ... I don't even know how to quite describe what I saw.

So...it is square-shaped? So what?
I understand that you're entitled to your opinion (as I am mine) but what's the big deal about having a vehicle that is not shaped like an egg, particularly with an SUV, which is supposed to be space-efficient? Boxy shapes usually mean a higher roofline inside, more passenger headroom, and more cargo room.....not to mention better outward visiblity as well. I, for one, was a BIG fan of the old Escape/Mariner (I considered it one of the 10 Best Domestics for the money), enjoyed driving them, and I'm glad to see they kept the same general shape. If you want a more bullet-shaped Ford SUV, you can walk right down to the other end of the showroom and check out the new Ford Edge...or the Mazda CX-7 and CX-9, which are technically under Ford ownership.

You may be correct, though, about the new interior. I haven't seen the inside of the new ones close-up, (a review may be coming) but, from what I hear, they are quite cheaply done inside. I sure hope they used better materials than the new Mustang......that interior, despite retro styling, quality-wise, is a joke.
Old 05-19-07 | 09:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

And the Scion xB is such a thing of beauty.

The Escape certainly isn't a beauty, but they have the Edge too, for someone who wants something not boxy.

The Escape is more like an XTerra, Pathfinder, the low end Land Rover, Pilot, etc. Some people like boxy.

Cool info/videos:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/boredomhurts/escape/

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-19-07 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-19-07 | 09:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Instead of the Eddie Bauer special edition, they now offer the 'Prison Escape' which comes with bars on the windows and searchlights on top.
Old 05-19-07 | 10:08 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Instead of the Eddie Bauer special edition, they now offer the 'Prison Escape' which comes with bars on the windows and searchlights on top.
LOL, yea, old style prison cart there.

I wish i'd taken a picture but I was the driver; all the images that are currently out there don't actually make it look half bad. Especially the promo ones like yours, bitkahuna. Couple things I noticed rite away were: the Ford emblem on the front, sticks out a good 1" (maybe 2") from the front grill and the tail lights look like maybe they werent pushed all the way in ... they too stick out awkwardly.

Yea some people like boxy, I my self am a fan of hard lines and sharp angles, but this looks like box-on-wheels and should probably come with a full roll-over advisory. Wait till you see one at an intersection and you can't stop laughing
Old 05-19-07 | 10:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This seems a little similar to the Nitro...I though we were in the 21st century and boxy shapes are a thing of the past?
Old 05-19-07 | 11:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I guess it will be in hip hop videos then.
Old 05-19-07 | 11:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Same ol doo doo as last year.. Looks great
Old 05-19-07 | 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You forgot the German Shepard for the back seat.
Old 05-19-07 | 02:54 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

It's a facelift, not a redesign IIRC. And judging from what C/D said about it, it's probably step back

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...d-v-6-4wd.html