Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japan LS 460 vs. A8 vs. 740 vs. S550 video

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 01:16 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Japan LS 460 vs. A8 vs. 740 vs. S550 video

Stability control/brakes comparo

Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7jDL-Vj3Dgk

Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pEiDI-4V0PI
Old 05-19-07, 01:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, thank you so much for the video enigma, it's awesome!!!!!! i love these videos showing the capability of cars on not just speed. and assuming that the driver was doing his best on all driving, the results are very surprising!!!!

incredible to see the lexus handling on the wet condition, the car was very stable and got the best time. it's funny to see how the mb and the nissan just slide left and right. i was surprised that the bmw didn't get better handling. does that a8 has awd? i don't know, but it has pretty good handling

the second test is just too funny, when i saw the test on the ls460 i almost choke i guess the driver probably went wtf too (lol, watch to see why). it's incredible on the braking plus stability. these big cars do pretty good i have to say, the lexus just completely blows me off (and other competitors too i suppose). i am very surprised that the bmw just kept on going and going, doesn't seem like it has good braking. and surprisingly, between mb, bmw, and the lexus, i probably see the least amount of row on the lexus.

just awesome video!
Old 05-19-07, 03:41 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats awesome braking for the LS460
Old 05-19-07, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Very nice Thanks for the links
Old 05-19-07, 08:56 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand what made that track so slippery - it looked like they were just spraying a little water on the track, but those cars were moving so slow and slipping so much you'd think they were spraying baby oil or the track had ice on it??
Old 05-19-07, 09:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for the link enigma
Going to watch this tonight.

Based on the responses, the LS is verrry favorable over the Germans

Wonder why they had the fuga and not the q/cima (is there an 07 model)?
Old 05-19-07, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I don't understand what made that track so slippery - it looked like they were just spraying a little water on the track, but those cars were moving so slow and slipping so much you'd think they were spraying baby oil or the track had ice on it??
very good point, i was thinking the same too. someone who understands japanese?
Old 05-19-07, 09:29 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Based on the responses, the LS is verrry favorable over the Germans
Lexus has always made models that perform evasive maneuvers and even acceleration on par or better that of the German competition - the problem is that you'd never know it as a driver - you'd have to do a side by side comparison to realize it.

My GS400 supposedly had GREAT stopping distance times - on par with quite a few sports cars and superior to that of all of its competitors - yet had the absolute WORST non-confidence inspiring frustrating brake pedal feel I had EVER experienced with any car, much less a car that was so technically capable of stopping.

Additionally - I ran both my GS400 and my Audi at the track. Based on what I read I knew the GS400 should be the faster car by a good margin, but ask anyone including myself in a 'seat of the pants' test, riding in both cars at WOT, and every one of them would tell you the Audi was 'a lot faster'. On the track, though - well you can see my best times in my sig. The GS was definitely the faster car despite not feeling it at all.
Old 05-19-07, 09:56 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Amazing videos, thanks for the link! It would be even better if I understood what they were saying or if there were subtitles.

It's always awesome to see comparisons of cars in tricky "real world" situations, instead of the usual sort of comparisons.

As for the wet track ... it wasn't so much the amount of water, but the fact that the water was coming from different directions and was moving along the track, which made for very slippery conditions.

For a RWD car, the LS460 performed superbly. The only car that came close was the A8, but that's because it has AWD. An AWD LS460 would have done even better in this test.
Old 05-19-07, 09:58 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Lexus has always made models that perform evasive maneuvers and even acceleration on par or better that of the German competition - the problem is that you'd never know it as a driver - you'd have to do a side by side comparison to realize it.

My GS400 supposedly had GREAT stopping distance times - on par with quite a few sports cars and superior to that of all of its competitors - yet had the absolute WORST non-confidence inspiring frustrating brake pedal feel I had EVER experienced with any car, much less a car that was so technically capable of stopping.

Additionally - I ran both my GS400 and my Audi at the track. Based on what I read I knew the GS400 should be the faster car by a good margin, but ask anyone including myself in a 'seat of the pants' test, riding in both cars at WOT, and every one of them would tell you the Audi was 'a lot faster'. On the track, though - well you can see my best times in my sig. The GS was definitely the faster car despite not feeling it at all.
Exactly. You made some great points. Overall, some Lexus cars actually match or beat the Euro competition in terms of handling or performance, but the reason that Lexus doesn't get the credit it deserves it simply because of the driving "feel". The objective performance is all there though.

People should be able to trust the car and it's abilities.
Old 05-19-07, 10:03 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
As for the wet track ... it wasn't so much the amount of water, but the fact that the water was coming from different directions and was moving along the track, which made for very slippery conditions.
I still don't know about that. I've been in some ridiculous down pouring rainstorms and NEVER had that much of an issue with traction.

For a RWD car, the LS460 performed superbly. The only car that came close was the A8, but that's because it has AWD. An AWD LS460 would have done even better in this test.
Was that A8 the AWD model? I couldn't tell and didn't see it listed anywhere - but maybe you saw a badge I didn't or know Japanese or something...? I know most A8s are AWD but who knows with a right hand drive japanese model.
Old 05-19-07, 10:17 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

weird... LS460 had less entry speed than BMW and A8 for the braking test
wouldnt that affect the stopping distance?
Old 05-19-07, 10:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UberNoob
weird... LS460 had less entry speed than BMW and A8 for the braking test
wouldnt that affect the stopping distance?
Of course it would - if it did that would be cheating, really... but how could you tell it has less entry speed?
Old 05-19-07, 10:22 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Not to rain on anyones parade but those lap times on the first video were mostly due to tires.
Old 05-19-07, 10:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Anyone know what kind of tires they're equipped with? All season vs summer tires?

Unless the floor was tile, I can't explain why the cars slipped so much.

Quick Reply: Japan LS 460 vs. A8 vs. 740 vs. S550 video