Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new Lexus crossover on the way?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 04:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The recent availability of AWD on the IS250 and GS300/350 has lessened the need for more Lexus SUV's and crossovers, but not entirely. The IS AWD version comes only with high-performance 45-series rubber that does not do as well in snow as the old 55-series all-seasons that were an option on the old IS300, and, unfortunately, not available on the IS line any more. The IS250 AWD also has very low ground clearance, being primarily a sport sedan.

What I'd like to see Lexus do is make a true passenger car with AWD, all-season tires, and added ground clearance like the Subaru Outbacks, Audi All-Road, Volvo XC-70, etc.... I would SERIOUSLY consider one as my next car.
Old 05-22-07, 08:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
I think Lexus should either drop the GX, or keep the name, but base it on a different vehicle, for instance on Sienna. Right now they have the RX, which is way too small and girly, so it doesn't appeal to everyone, and then they have the larger LX and GX, but those are truck based, so they don't appeal to everyone either. Lexus needs to make a crossover the size of Acura MDX, which has been a very good seller.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to base a crossover on RWD platform. Crossovers should not be sporty, they should appeal to people that are looking for something minivanish that doesn't look like a minivan. Sporty SUVs such as X5, Cayenne, and LR Sport are just silly.

While you may think the RX is small, girly, and doesn't appeal to anyone...it just so happens to be the best selling luxury SUV and one of the best selling Lexus models, ever. I doubt they are going to change such a winning formula very much.

I remember seeing an article a few weeks ago that stated that the next GX would likely stay as a body on frame SUV because surveys showed that many GX owners used their trucks for towing or offroading which are where BOF SUVs excel. The truck in itself, aside from being a bit short on power, is still very capable and very well rounded. It could use an update though, which I would imagine is coming very soon.

It seems like the GX470 has been the red headed step child of the Lexus family. The RX changed the SUV game forever and has been one of the most compelling choices in it's segment for a long time. The LX was the original full size luxury SUV with offroad capability and today is considered to be one of the finest 4X4s on the road.

The GX though, being a complete upstart and using running gear from the Toyota family and the LX-sourced V8, seems to be somewhat of an afterthought. Especially since it just popped out of nowhere, and we never had any idea that it was coming. Truthfully though, the truck has won it's share of off roading, quality, reliability, and dependability trophies, and took first place in a few comparos. It's also the only credible alternative to the LR3 for anyone who needs to offroad, as everything else is car based. There is a future for the GX, it's just getting a bit long in the tooth.