Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

G35 vs G37 pics....identical to look at, fantastic dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 01:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by skater
Honestly, SickLEX, im not really sure why you always throw the Altima Coupe in there.

I guess everyone has their own views, and at first I must admit the similarities were scary. But the Altima in nowhere near the looks of the G35/G37.

It's like staring at two sisters; they may seem alike, but one of them is very ugly, the other very hot.

Well, everyone has the right to their own opinion. But... throwing the [awful] comparison is getting really old.

Let me ask you, have you actually seen the Altima Coupe in person? Because I did [at the L.A auto show], and trust me, it wasnt turning any heads in the room.

PS. Your picture actually shows how different they are.

I like the G35 coupe a lot. I almost bought one. I cannot figure out why Nissan made the G37 similar, yet IMO, ungainly and then, a FWD version of the car, b/c IMO, they look way to similar.

Make no mistake, the G37 will run circles around a G35 and Altima coupe. However, we wanted this:

Old 05-20-07, 01:08 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree... that concept model was hot... the actual G37 is alright... i hate the rear though.
Old 05-20-07, 01:08 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I like the G35 coupe a lot. I almost bought one. I cannot figure out why Nissan made the G37 similar, yet IMO, ungainly and then, a FWD version of the car, b/c IMO, they look way to similar.

Make no mistake, the G37 will run circles around a G35 and Altima coupe. However, we wanted this:
Im with you on that SICKLEX

I personally like the G37 alot.

And I would not call the G37 disappointing . Although it was not what we expected, it definately has grown on me alot. Enough for me to trade in my 2006 G35 6MT? Not even close, although the idea has crept up their.

I love my 06 G35c 6MT. The only thing I wish is an engine & brake swap from the current G37

And about the Altima Coupe comparisons; If anything, I believe the G35/G37 should be compared to its close sibling... the 350Z.

In my opinion, comparing the G35/G37 to an Altima Coupe is as bad as comparing the IS350 to the Camry. You get the point

Old 05-20-07, 01:23 PM
LexFather

And I would not call the G37 disappointing . Although it was not what we expected, it definately has grown on me alot. Enough for me to trade in my 2006 G35 6MT? Not even close, although the idea has crept up their.

I love my 06 G35c 6MT. The only thing I wish is an engine & brake swap from the current G37

And about the Altima Coupe comparisons; If anything, I believe the G35/G37 should be compared to its close sibling... the 350Z.

In my opinion, comparing the G35/G37 to an Altima Coupe is as bad as comparing the IS350 to the Camry. You get the point

Your just being funny b/c the IS and Camry look nothing alike and the dimensions aren't even close.

Anyway, this car should be a really great performer, and the brakes are huge as well. The 335 coupe should be very worried.

Old 05-20-07, 02:22 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Your just being funny b/c the IS and Camry look nothing alike and the dimensions aren't even close.

Anyway, this car should be a really great performer, and the brakes are huge as well. The 335 coupe should be very worried.

By no means am I trying to directly compare the IS350 to the Camry; just trying to prove how the G37 should not be compared to the Altima Coupe. This comparison is just as valid as the previous one you made. It's just rediculous. Not to mention, most of the people who originally compared have stopped dramatically.

Anyhow, yes, lets drop the [bad] comparison topic and move on to whats important; how the G37 will do agaisnt the 335i [and IS350].

One thing that the 335i stomps on the G37 performance wise, is the fact that it has that beautiful strong torque line starting from 2k all the way to redline. It must make it a funner ride to drive for daily driving. But as fas as 1/4 mile goes, I have a feeling the G37 and 335i will be fairly matched.

Even though the 335i weighs about 150 lbs less, the G37 seems to make up for it with the 12 extra whp. [As a reference, theoretically, adding 12hp and 150 will usually cancel each other out, as for every 1hp added to every 10 lbs.]

I really can't wait to see the G37 go head to head against the 335i and IS350. On the straight, it should be a great match. On the roadcourse/track in the other hand, I think we know which ones would be favored.

I love this competitiom; it just makes every competitor strive for the better

Infiniti, Lexus, and BMW are definately throwing stones at each other

Old 05-20-07, 03:45 PM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
too bad whatever the japanese copy they usually turn out better than the germans
Hmm. Copied the BMW variable valve timing system and put it on a 3.7L engine. The result? 330HP. Yet the much smaller BMW 3.2L from eight years ago gets 333hp. Does not sound like much of an improvment to me. I guess the Japanese just can't quite get it right.
Old 05-20-07, 05:51 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

wow, ignore features work great.

I think G37 looks really good, and it would be a really tough choice between IS350 and this.
Old 05-20-07, 05:52 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by insider
Hmm. Copied the BMW variable valve timing system and put it on a 3.7L engine. The result? 330HP. Yet the much smaller BMW 3.2L from eight years ago gets 333hp. Does not sound like much of an improvment to me. I guess the Japanese just can't quite get it right.
Hmm.

the "smaller" M3 engine makes less torque and required a special synthetic oil in order to reach 75k mi, but it probably blew up well before then anyways.

and what were the M3's fuel economy #'s?
a dismal 16/23mpg.

you forgot that "smaller" 3.2L M3 motor featured a cast-iron block which weighs quite a bit more then the 3.7L VQ.

and that M3 retailed for over $50k, so in reality you should compare the M3 to the Corvette which has a lighter motor then either the 3.2L or 4.0L M3, gets better fuel economy, makes more hp, and torque. In other words the M3 engine sucks

and the M3 engine doesn't utilize Valvetronic system you belive Nissan copied. It uses double VANOS which was an upgrade to VANOS which was copied from the 300ZX.

why not take yourself back to the BMW boards where you belong?

then try figure out why the 330i's Valvetronic equipped DOCH 3.0L motor makes less hp and torque then a 3.0L V6 Accord, all while sucking down premium.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 05-20-07 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-20-07, 06:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You have to take into account that the M3 engine is not engineered like the other 6-cyl from BMW. The M-division are spec'ed for more power than the normal average 3-series. Any company can extract 500hp out of a 3.2L if they wanted to, but they dont for a reason. It has nothing to do with the ability of the manufactor at all. Where there is a Pro, there is a Con. A G37 is mass produced. Nissan cannot afford to slap in 400hp engines right now, otherwise they will run into reliability problems. The BMW M3 was produced to a limit. It's a "special" version of the E46 so bumping the power is okay. There is a time and place for high-output engines, but having one in a mass-production car right now is not feasible

Just because a Company A built an engine with higher output years ago, does not mean they are any better than Company B.
Old 05-20-07, 06:35 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
There is a time and place for high-output engines, but having one in a mass-production car right now is not feasible
don't upset the BMW fanboi, now he's going to bring up a 5.0L V10 or a twin turbo 3.0L I6.

BMW fanboi can't compare a naturally aspired BMW motor or one without an "M" badge, otherwise he loses.

BMW fanboi the Nissan 300ZX's VQ delivered over 300hp+ from a twin turbo V6 over 15yrs ago. That's innovation, reverse engineering is when BMW copied its continously variable intake cam.

let's see the BMW fanboi try to compare the N52 to the IS350's GR engine.
Old 05-20-07, 06:57 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
don't upset the BMW fanboi, now he's going to bring up a 5.0L V10 or a twin turbo 3.0L I6.

BMW fanboi can't compare a naturally aspired BMW motor or one without an "M" badge, otherwise he loses.

BMW fanboi the Nissan 300ZX's VQ delivered over 300hp+ from a twin turbo V6 over 15yrs ago. That's innovation, reverse engineering is when BMW copied its continously variable intake cam.

let's see the BMW fanboi try to compare the N52 to the IS350's GR engine.
Like I said, Ignore features on this forum works super!
Old 05-20-07, 07:23 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

infinity is shooting itself in the foot by making them so close in resemblance. g37 owners are going to get "nice Nissan, Altima or 350z" comments
Old 05-20-07, 08:29 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Looks ok, am I the only one not super impressed by the numbers? 287hp from a rated 330hp engine, and only 236lb/ft of torque?
Old 05-20-07, 08:55 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

engines can be rated at whatever the marketing team wants
bmw markets its engine at 300hp knowing thats not what it is... but what can we do?

all anyone can do is take the engine for what it is- look at measured power- and call it as they see it.

bmw horses are no stronger than toyota horses which are no stronger than nissan horses.

although nissan did not deliver as most had hoped on the exterior,
id say they delivered on the interior, refinement, and it looks like they more than delivered on the performance...who here expected ~290whp from the v36 generation G? thats more than anything else in class, period. and when you also consider nissan is still lazy about the final drive... you have to give respect where its due.
Old 05-20-07, 09:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And didn't BMW, as well as everyone else, copy variable valve timing from Honda?

And the 3.2 engine in the M3 is a joke, its perhaps the worst production car engine ever. It consumes oil, requiring the owner to constantly check oil level and add as necessary, it requires synthetic, and it's highly unreliable. It's basically a poorly engineered, "overclocked" engine. For comparison, the 17 year old 3.2 engine in the NSX is making just slightly less HP, but it has bullet proof reliability and requires no special maintenance.

And as far as Japanese not being able to "quite get it right", well, BMW had to resort to turbochargers to catch up with Japanese NA motors. And still their twin turbo engine doesn't hold a candle to the 15 year old 2JZ-GTE.

Quick Reply: G35 vs G37 pics....identical to look at, fantastic dyno numbers