Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

G35 vs G37 pics....identical to look at, fantastic dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 09:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Fiat was the first to use variable valve timing in the lat 1960s. GM used it in the md-70s, but it didn't quite work out well for them. Then the rest is history
Old 05-20-07, 10:43 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skater

By no means am I trying to directly compare the IS350 to the Camry; just trying to prove how the G37 should not be compared to the Altima Coupe. This comparison is just as valid as the previous one you made. It's just rediculous. Not to mention, most of the people who originally compared have stopped dramatically.
Here is a better comparison.

Old 05-21-07, 02:55 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skater
Honestly, SickLEX, im not really sure why you always throw the Altima Coupe in there.

I guess everyone has their own views, and at first I must admit the similarities were scary. But the Altima in nowhere near the looks of the G35/G37.

It's like staring at two sisters; they may seem alike, but one of them is very ugly, the other very hot.

Well, everyone has the right to their own opinion. But... throwing the [awful] comparison is getting really old.

Let me ask you, have you actually seen the Altima Coupe in person? Because I did [at the L.A auto show], and trust me, it wasnt turning any heads in the room.

PS. Your picture actually shows how different they are.

I also think they look very different. He just cant stand that people are liking the way the new g37 looks. To try to sway peoples opinions, he always throws in a picture of the altima coupe. I can honestly say they have similarities...the g35 and altima coupe, but they will never be mistaken for each other on the road the way a camry and ES do. I saw the altima coupe at the LA show as well and there is definitely a huge difference between the looks of the current G and altima coupe
Old 05-21-07, 04:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Hey TRDFantasy, what is Valvematic? And Infinitely Variable Valve Timing?

I haven't heard anything about either. Can you elaborate, or link me?
Valvematic is Toyota's new infinitely variable valve timing system. Details for now are still scarce, but Toyota has already patented the "Valvematic" name, and there also already exists a valvematic logo. So far what is known is that the Valvematic system allows for continously variable valve lift, and this it enhances both power and fuel economy. We'll have to wait to see if the system differs from Nissan's VVEL and BMW's Valvetronic, as well as how Honda's A-VTEC system differs too.

Infinitely Variable Valve Timing refers to continuously variable valve timing on intake and exhaust camshafts, as well as continously variable intake valve lift. BMW's Valvetronic does this, but continously variable valve lift is limited to the intake camshaft only.

Here is link to a translated webpage that mentions Toyota's Valvematic:

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Those power figures for that 2.0L engine translate to 156HP and 145 lb-ft torque. The quoted fuel economy under Japanese standards equates to about 39 mpg.
Old 05-21-07, 04:36 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Here is a better comparison.

I say these two cars are twins.. Same ish The New G looks great with the sport pack.
Old 05-21-07, 04:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by insider
Wow. Still amazes me how the Japanese copy the Germans.
Still amazes me how some of you don't know your engine history. The Germans did not come up with variable valve timing. The first production car to feature VVT was an Alfa Romeo. After that, it was Nissan and Honda who came out with their own VVT systems. It was not until the early 90s that the German makers came out with their own VVT systems.

Yes, BMW was the first to put infinitely variable valve timing in production, but neither you, I, nor anyone on this board knows yet how Toyota's Valvematic or Honda's A-VTEC differs from BMW's Valvetronic.

Based on your logic, it should be argued the Germans copied the Japanese in terms of variable valve timing systems.
Old 05-21-07, 04:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Fiat was the first to use variable valve timing in the lat 1960s. GM used it in the md-70s, but it didn't quite work out well for them. Then the rest is history
Well, Honda was the first to use variable valve timing that was actually effective.
Old 05-21-07, 04:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by picus
Looks ok, am I the only one not super impressed by the numbers? 287hp from a rated 330hp engine, and only 236lb/ft of torque?

I am pretty sure those dyno numbers refer to HP and torque at the wheel.
Old 05-21-07, 04:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Fiat was the first to patent a VVT system, but they were not the first to use it in a production car. GM patented it's own system in the 70's, but gave up on it because of a number of problems.

Honda's VTEC system was the first of it's kind in production cars because it used electronically controlled camshaft profiles.
Old 05-21-07, 08:21 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally I think G37 is pretty ugly. It is a great value with all the features but I just can not get over the design. The prototype made me wonder for a second that my 335 coupe was a good choice. Next month baby!
Old 05-22-07, 09:00 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
So, yeah..Lexus.....when do we get our IS coupe??
I just saw an article in one of the car mags couple days ago (will double-check today, but almost sure it was R&T) they spotted an IS500 coupe, and they also presented a picture of it. They mentioned it was masked as a sedan on that road test, but it's really a coupe. I couldn't believe my eyes.
Also, the same mag stated that the rumors about the new Toyota Supra are true, and the new Supra is coming out in late 2008 or something like that. I'll verify today which mag it is, and will try to scan the articles.
Old 05-22-07, 10:39 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually like the smoother rear and less edgy tail lights. Not too sure about the rear spoiler though. It looks a little odd. Over all I like this car better than the G35 again. The loved the concept pictures, didn't really like the pics posted earlier, but now with these real actual pics I like it again
Old 05-22-07, 10:59 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

smart, if it ain't broke, why "fix" it.

Much better than butchering great cars, MR2, RX8, M3
Old 05-22-07, 11:22 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

why does everyone want lexus to build a g35 again?
Old 05-22-07, 11:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Fiat was the first to patent a VVT system, but they were not the first to use it in a production car. GM patented it's own system in the 70's, but gave up on it because of a number of problems.

Honda's VTEC system was the first of it's kind in production cars because it used electronically controlled camshaft profiles.
You're right, Fiat only had the patend, but Alfa Romeo used variable valve timing in a production car almost a decade before Honda mass produced them.

Quick Reply: G35 vs G37 pics....identical to look at, fantastic dyno numbers