Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy photos: 2009 Acura NSX test mule spotted in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 07:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not surprised that Honda didn't release the NSX any sooner. The car is not all that important to them. It's not what's keeping the company alive so I'm sure they had better things to concentrate on than the NSX-sucessor. Though like anyone else, I really do hope they pull through this time.
Old 05-22-07, 08:12 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a mazda
Old 05-22-07, 08:58 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like many others, I think it looks like an S2000. Perhaps it's their 4-seater version? If that IS the next NSX then it should have just stayed in retirement... Otherwise it might just be another legend making a failed comeback.
Old 05-22-07, 09:05 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

hmm.
for some reason it doesnt look like theyd put a v10 in the back of that mule....
how would the engine breathe? what would be in all that space up front?
i would think they'd use an older nsx as a mule for the new one or something.

this looks like a GT sort of car... 4 seat coupe, front engine, rear drive..something to compete with the g35c or m3 or somewhere in between maybe?

regardless, whatever it is, it looks like its in the early stages of development.
i remember when the gtr was in this stage, it was still 4yrs+ away from the streets...
Old 05-22-07, 10:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Acura NSX mule spied at Nürburgring

05/21/07, 06:51pm, EDT

New spy photographs show what is believed to be the Acura NSX testing around the famed Nürburgring track in Germany. The spy photographs and description are from Glenn Paulina.

The car has remained in the garage bay all day, but we managed a few snapshots that reveal a compelling project in the works.

The primary donor for this mule appears to be a Honda S200 roadster, but it is very heavily modified with riveted panels to add plenty of length and width. The passenger compartment is much larger, and the hood line appears is beefy and bulging. It's difficult to tell the actual size of this mule, but it appears that the dimensions of this car could be consistent with the next NSX, which might finally be entering some form of engineering reality.

The car left the garage for a moment late in the day and was photographed. It is expected to make its debut on the Nürburgring tomorrow.
Larger pics : http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-ns...rburgring.html

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-22-07 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 10:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The lack of vents to the rear doesn't mean it can't be a mid engine. Even the side vents on the 1st gen NSX werent really for cooling. The left side vent was the for the intake and the right side did vent into the engine compartment, but it was not ducted and in fact from the 91-93 NSX there was an engine compartment exhaust fan on the other end which they later removed in 94+.

Still I don't think it will be a mid engine. Most of the current NSX owners want a mid engine, but it appears Honda will not go in that direction and go front engine. Hopefully Honda did wake up and go mid engine though, but I'm not holding my breathe. From the pictures it looks more front engine than mid engine.
Old 05-23-07, 05:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default More from Motor Trend ...

Spycam: Honda runs Acura NSX prototype

By Angus MacKenzie

It looks like an S2000 on steroids, but under these hand-crafted panels is an early mechanical prototype of the long awaited next generation Acura NSX. At the reveal of the NSX styling concept at the Detroit Show in January, Honda hinted the car would feature an all-new front-mounted V-10. This mule, snapped testing at the Nurburgring, appears to confirm the engine's location, if not the number of cylinders.

The fierce rivalry between Toyota and Honda suggests the new NSX will have at least 500hp to combat Toyota's forthcoming Lexus LF-A super coupe, also rumored to be powered by a front-mounted V-10. The concept shown at Detroit featured a rear drive layout based on Honda's Super Handling AWD system, but don't bet against all-wheel drive appearing in the production version. We'll undoubtedly learn more when an updated concept appears at the Frankfurt Show this September.

Honda has long been regarded as the more innovative of Japan's automakers, but the on-off NSX replacement program appears to be on again mainly because of Toyota's moves to develop its own supercar.

The original NSX, launched in 1990, fundamentally changed the automotive landscape, forcing established supercar manufacturers like Ferrari to place as more emphasis on quality and ease of use as well as outright performace. But Honda's reluctance to commit to a replacement (production of the original finally ceased in 2005) probably has a lot to do with rumors that it never made money on the car. The all-aluminum NSX was manufactured in a purpose-built factory in Tochigi, and production dropped to as low as 10 cars a day.
source : motortrend
Old 05-23-07, 11:58 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

considering rumor has it that the S2k replacement will be a 2+2, that could be a mule for the next gen S2K with that stretched rear....

Also, if this is nsx... then i guess they're not joking about making it front-engined. Thats why they'be be using this, not a current nsx for drivetrain testing.
Old 05-24-07, 10:05 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Video

Source: Edmunds inside Line
Old 05-24-07, 10:46 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Video

Source: Edmunds inside Line
That thing was moving nicely
Old 05-24-07, 10:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

ya. hopefully the real NSX is wider than that. It could sure use some width on those turns.