Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Let's HEAR YOUR Lexus story!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 11:41 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was back in 97 when I saw a black GS300 T3 in the dealer showroom.
Old 08-15-07, 12:34 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Around maybe 10 years before I was born, my dad had a Pontiac(model unknown,probably sold).

1991 - he got a Toyota Land Cruiser.
1992 - Mother got a Honda Accord Sedan, then 4 years later she got a 1996 LS400. Which is where I started liking the style.
1998 - My dad sold his Toyota and bought a LX470, still reminded me of the Toyota, only nicer inside. Around the same time I saw the new GS and liked it, then the down the line when the IS came out, I liked it even more.
2006 - I got the LS400 (I was amazed at how well the car was running, it was ultra smooth), my mother got the RX400h and my dad traded his LX470 for a Toyota Tundra SR5.
2007 - I got my IS350 then got into an accident a month later. On the fence about keeping the IS or picking up a car with AWD .

LS400 is right now the oldest car in the stable. Nearing 12 years old and less than 100k on the clock. Still runs smoothly.
RX400h runs well, theres just a insufferable rattle in the rear center armrest. Lexus can't seem to fix it.
Tundra has practically past the off road test. Went through mud, dirt, sand, water and floods, heavy payloads on the bed, up to Canada and down as far as North Carolina. Engine light has been on for around 4 months now. Engine still running.
Old 08-15-07, 02:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I traded a black 1998 4wd Yukon (REALLY slick truck with black pushbar on front, 15% tint w suicide strip, was like new) for a black SC400 at a local lot. That was my first Lexus and led me to me others. I still own one of everything else though.... gotta have variety
Old 08-25-07, 01:45 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well. we started out as american car owners to the bone, until we finally got screwed one too many times.

my husband was driving a 94 saturn sl1 back in 2000, the timing chain guide decided to snap, and bashed up the head in a bad way. he decided to buy a new head and such to fix it, but after all that the oil pump crapped out on him less than a week later, seized the engine.

his parents felt bad for him and gave him the 88 camry they had sitting at home unused. (rather embarrassing... after all we are both very proudly independent folks who work to earn what we have.) after tinkering a bit with it he loved it instantly. he decided to hell with saturns, he wanted to fix toyotas for a living.

meanwhile i was driving my old POS 90 buick century (which lived until early 2005/140k miles)... and i couldn't understand why on earth he liked this strange foreign silly looking car. well, when the buick started its final decline he had a job at the local toyota dealer fixing their cars and loved them to death. the diagnostic freak in him hated that it was 80% maintenance work and 10% fixing people's modding screwups and fixing problems caused by people too lazy to do the required maintenance. but this said wonderful things about the cars though so we bought an 05 prius back in march 05

around then we finally admitted the 88 camry was so rusted out from up-north winters that it probably wasn't safe. junked it at over 250k miles still running great but the body was too rough.

bought an 87 instead and drove it for what must have been a year. (first one was dark blue, second one light blue)

found an opportunity we couldn't pass up though back in august 06, an 89 camry le v6 that needed a couple parts and the owner was sick of the maintenance costs. we bought it for $900, sold the old 87 camry for i think $800.

stuck all the required parts into it, and decided this one was a keeper. we were going to run it to the ground, so we did ANY AND ALL maintenance on it. we were totally set. about a month later someone smashed it in a hit and run when we made the mistake of parking it on the street.

it wasn't drivable, the frame was toast, but we had a good engine... so we figured we'd find another 87-91 camry v6 to drop the engine and trans into... no such luck. they were all insanely expensive, even with bad engines and transmissions! we weren't about to go paying $1000 for a car that needed a damn engine. hadn't given much thought to lexus since they only made the es250 in 90-91 and they were highly rare, but i sorta kept an eye out. so eventually we ran into this 90 es250 on ebay that needed an engine. and it was on the other end of our state. we got it home the day before our anniversary. happy anniversary, honey, here's a car you're about to stick a ton of time into....

and then we swapped in our engine and trans from the camry and now we're doing the suspension and some other stuff. today it runs like a dream, he just got the struts and springs and such in there and took it for a drive. we're nearly done with everything it needs, it's truly a great car. needs a little TLC on the paint (clay job and a couple coats of zaino should do it) but mechanically just about perfect.

that's our lexus story. total random (bad, then good, in a way) luck.
Old 08-25-07, 02:07 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

O man, im definitely not gonna forget the day my dad got his first LX470 back in '98. I was away with the rest of the family in Dominican Republic for a few weeks, and when we arrive back in NY, I see this very sexy LX waiting for us in the airport with my dad in the drivers seat. I jump in the back seat and see it had a TV and all that, I was going crazy. Mind you, I was only 11.

Immediately i fell in love with Lexus. When I saw the IS a couple years later, i was completely obsessed with the car, and I swore that car was going to be my first. Luckily right when I was about to buy my first car, the new one came out and i just had to do it.

**First car not counting a 1996 S500 handed down
Old 09-04-07, 08:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
1990 Toyota Corolla LE - Super White 040 - The vehicle that was passed down to me, my first pride and joy. A vehicle I literally grew up in. Was purchased new by my family in 1990 in the Bay Area. I remember the day we went to Concord Toyota to pick it out. We spent most of the day test driving other cars and we couldn't exactly pin point this exact color combination, White with Gray. After hours of walking the lot, low and behold, this was hidden in the back. I learned how to drive in this car and kept it all the way through college. I miss this car especially the gas mileage!

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS - Diamond White Pearl 051 - Another vehicle that was passed down to me, lots of power, great on gas, drove it cross country to Texas and numerous trips to NorCal, San Diego and Las Vegas. Too many of my friends always made me drive due to the great interior size and comfort. I was tired of driving an old man's car, especially during my college years.

1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 - Diamond White Pearl 051 - One of my favorite cars, rare v6 5 speed manual w/leather, was inspired by the original TRD Solara package and TRD Solara Pace cars once used in the PPG Cart Series. This was a purchase from a good friend who had to move out of the country. It was spur of the moment. I loved to drive it around and modded it to set it apart from the common. Got tired of driving manual in my commute. This car took me through the remainder of my undergrad studies into my first real fulltime job. Like the Avalon, this car appealed to an older demographic. Regardless I enjoyed driving it.

2004 Lexus IS300 - Millenium Silver Metallic 1C0 - First new car purchase (Longo Lexus 9/17/03) just a year after graduating college on top of being my first Lexus purchase. I opted w/the E-shift version...but originally wanted Crystal White w/Black interior. Since the last 3 cars were white, I was in a pickle between choosing a different color, either MSM and GGP. After over an hour of debating, I went with the MSM being a lighter color, easier to maintain. I currently have over 100k miles and has been through 3 different looks since I bought it. I loved this car when it first came into existence in early 1999-2000. At time time of the purchase I wanted a GS originally but I still wanted to have fun driving car. The Solara despite the suspension mods was not as fun to drive. With many of my friends that already had this car (this is some but not limited to r.maestas, silveraltezza and ggp4me), they were big influences in making my decision to purchase it. I've loved the Lexus brand since it's inception in 1989 with the first LS400 and ES250. Don't get me wrong, I love this car, but it's about time to move onto something different.

0???? Hmmmmm.

Coming from a history of Toyotas...all of them have been trouble free since day one. None of these cars have ever left me stranded. All have been taken over 100k miles without a hitch.
Okay...so to continue on with the tradition, on 8/25/07 I picked up this....

2007 Lexus GS350 - Starfire Pearl 077

Last edited by flipside909; 09-04-07 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 09:29 PM
timer00
Pole Position

1997-2000
Drove a 86 Prelude Si 2.0 - awesome car but suspension parts eventually rusted together and my dad made me get rid of it. Plus it had problems with head gasket beforehand and was never right after that. (damn sister ruined it when she drove it arghh!! heh)

1999-2001
Drove a 88 Accord DX H/B 5spd - car I learned how to drive stick on.. great car on gas and utility with the hatchback.. used it for college and work eventually spun a bearing at around 196k miles revving it too long too fast in 3rd gear. It still ran though but couldn't count on it (stupid me i would probably still have it)

2001-2007
Drove a 93 Camry XLE V6 - this was my baby for the longest time and 184k miles.. lot of vacations and memories.. the car my 2 kids rode in after they were born. Sold this car for $2000 and got this

1999 LS400 64k miles - my personal dream car I always wanted a LS since I got the camry and my dad and mom owned a camry at the same time as my 93. Even married with two kids got rid of the credit card debt and was able to pick one up for 17k in "almost" perfect condition for 64k miles.

Old 09-04-07, 09:53 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow someone dug this up, guess i'll put in my 2 cents:

I was living in the japan durring the mid-90's when Lexus came out/started to become popular in the states. Lexus is just a marketing gimmick imo. After all most taxi's in japan then were/maybe still are toyota crowns... So to see ppl going ga-ga over a taxi... well... hey w/e foats your boat right? Imagine seeing ppl in japan going ga-ga over a town car or caprice... *chuckle*
Old 09-05-07, 02:21 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

First off........ Great thread and I'm glad someone brought it back to life 'cause I missed it first time around.

This SC is my first and only Lexus (so far). I'm still in love, just like day one. My previous whip before this was a Range Rover. All I can say is, night and day. Still a RR fan though. I remember seeing the LS heavy on the street when I was a kid. The First GS was in a lot of Hip Hop videos so that also caught my eye. But what did it for me was, while I was going thru problems with my Range, my friend had a 2nd gen GS300. He would constantly try to persuade me to switch over to the world of Lexus. He'd brag about the easy maintenance. Mercedes allure with Toyota reliability.

But when he copped a White SC430 that was it for me. The first time I borrowed it, I knew I needed this car. It killed me to turn over his keys to him.I knew it was time for me to have an L on my grille. My last name being Lawrence was a plus. So as you guys see the rest was history. Now my girl wants a GX, so hopefully thats next.
Old 09-05-07, 02:59 PM
VorghenRiz
Driver School Candidate

I had an '01 IS300 as my first Lexus. I fell in love with the IS after spending a good chunk of my life playing the first Granturismo on the PSX. Before the IS, I drove an 1990 Toyota Celica a good 160k miles before sending it to it's grave. Since then, I've also gone through an '02 RX300. Aside from the LS600h, I'm not really interested in Lexus' current lineup. The Germans on the other hand...
Old 09-06-07, 04:38 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Default I'll Play this game...

Link/Thread HERE...

So this is what MIDLIFE CRISIS feels like eh???

It all started back in August 31 2005 when I walked in a Lexus dealer to test drive a used 2001 GS300....Thread Here

After a couple of months, I decided to buy the Vertex Kit for it (which I still have BTW ) and had plans to fix her up with some rims/tires and stereo...then I would get AIR RUNNER to lower the car. But then I had a small Buyer's Remorse and was looking for more power..

After a couple of "searches", I learned that instead of buying the AIR RUNNERS for about $5K + install, I could get an LS430 ULTRA with STOCK AIR SUSPENSION and spend $700.00 for a controller AND I'll get the "more power" bug fixed!...Great Idea! The SEARCH Begins

I went through a bit of STRESS trying to locate my PERFECT LS430 ULTRA with ALL the goodies and Air Suspension.

This lead to more searching including OUT OF STATE purchase..Until I found the ONE I wanted..a BLACK on BLACK LS430 ULTRA , but the problem was it was over 2000 Miles away!

I figured it's a LEXUS and it will ride comfortably and what a way to get to know the car then DRIVING IT long distance!..So I bought a plane ticket and flew to IL to take delivery of my new LS430.. MY JOURNEY HERE On March 26, 2006 I got her home..

Pics Below:
NOSE SHOT!

All is great and fantastic..no issues, it was the color I want and the package/option I want.

I bought the Air Suspension Controller, installed it and loved it.......

UNTIL LAST WEEK....

I decided that I really want to fix a car up nicely and get it into car shows..6 weeks ago I bought a complete lip kit for my 01 LS and wheels/tires..the wheels and tires came and they look awesome on the car specially lowered..very exciting! Can't wait for the lip kit to arrive..YAY!

last week, the kit came!... 2 HUGE BOXES with Japanese letters and stickers on the boxes! Like a 3 year old on Christmas morning, I go TEARING UP the boxes while wiping the drools off my face...TADA!!!! There they are, the beatiful lip kit all smelling new, in bubble wrap and taped securely.

I take the kit out of the boxes and Low and Behold.... after over 4 weeks of anticipation and picturing my car on the showroom floors in 3 weeks...the kit they sent me was NOT ofr my model year..instead, they send me a 2004+ kit !!! WHY ME!

Not willing to wait another 4-6 weeks for a replacement, I go and search the web for a car that will fit this kit and make use of my Air Suspension controllers AND the rims/tires...

So 2 days ago (Saturday), I took a trip 95 miles away to look at a 2004 LS Ultra just to get the run around and insulted by a smartass, Australian accent bloke sales manager!

With much dissapointment, I started my way home..but the gas light came on, so I got off the freeway to look for a gas station. Since I set-up my NAV to display Lexus Dealers in the area, I see a little icon less than 1 mile from the gas station...It was Lexus of Glendale! I decided that I'll look around their showroom to see what they had...and THERE SHE WAS!!!

BLACK ON BLACK 04 LS430 ULTRA CPO car staring at me as I pass her by... I sat inside and she STILL smells brand new..like a fresh Chamois at Pep Boys...

A Mr. Richard Park (God bless this awesome salesman for his patience and courteous nature) asked me how I was doing and if I liked the car I was looking at. This guy deserves a BONUS for being able to handle a "GRINDER" like me

3 hours later..I took her out of the showroom!

Here she is!!!

Looks tooo pretty!!

Ready for me to take her home....

BUT WAIT!!!

The ordeal is NOT OVER.... now my Air Controller Harness do NOT fit ...

The Saga continues..................................

Thanks for reading!

Mike
Also, I had an 01 GS430 Since October of last year till I traded her in for a 2007 Tundra on July 27, 2007...

Mike
Old 09-06-07, 11:19 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FLIPPU
Link/Thread HERE...

Also, I had an 01 GS430 Since October of last year till I traded her in for a 2007 Tundra on July 27, 2007...

Mike
I could never get enough of this story.
Old 03-19-08, 10:12 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

-99 Nissan Altima (Apr 2005-Nov 14 2005)
First car. I skipped my final rehersal for HS graduation to get my driver's license. Prior to license, I got into a front end collision while on my permit Apr 05. I swear the car came outta nowhere lol. Anyway, I got the license in June, then in November I took the car into a telephone pole at 65mph. The only thing I did to the car was (2) MB quart 12s with a Mb Quart 800rms amp.
-93 Ford Taurus Wagon (Dec 12, 2005-May 2006)
After being ***'d out by crashing the Altima, I got this a month later. It served it's purpose for 6 monthes. During that time, it had those same 2 mb quarts in it and later had 4 of those MB quarts in it with a bigger amp. I sold this vehicle when I bought my Integra.
-94 Acura Integra (April 06, 2006-November 14, 2006)
A Real trooper of a car and I miss it dearly. The only thing I don't miss is the cop attention due to heavy street racing in the area and every "tuner" trying to downshift next to the car to run me. I had a great summer in it with tons of memories. I crashed it on my birthday Nov 11. I drove it to work for 3 more days after but the radiator was leaking bad. So I parted the whole car out. Also had the same 2 mb quarts 12s in it.
-95 Audi 90 (Dec 11 2006-February 25 2007)
Bought it for 600 bucks from an old woman. Spent 130 to fix oil leak on oil cooler. Nothing but oil changes over the whole year. It was a trooper. Also had the same 2 mb quart 12s in it until they blew. I had kicker l5s in it after that. I sold the car for 1200 and doubled my money. Had 199K on it when I bought it, sold it with 211K.
-01 Lexus GS430 (February 23rd-I get promoted and buy a brand new Lexus)
What More can I say?

Rode in: 00 GS400, 02 ES300, 92 ES300, 93 ES300, 02 SC430, 01 LS430 & SC400
Drove : 92 ES300, 93 ES300, 02 ES300, 01 GS430

I've always liked Lexus in general but could never afford one. I love it and at 20 it seems perfect. Once it gets back from Inskip Lexus on Saturday and they bend me over, I'm sure I'll feel the same but with the ****tt at the end.

Last edited by Rippaflow; 03-19-08 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 10:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We had a 1983 Cressida, 1984 Mercedes 380SL, 1986 Mercedes 420SEL, and a 1996 Nissan Quest.

We now have a 1991 Lexus LS400, a 2005 Sienna, and we still have the POS Quest.
Old 03-20-08, 01:24 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never liked Lexus until they released the 3rd Generation GS, I always wanted to buy it, but couldn't afford it. In 2007, the IS was just released, and I was so happy that it's more interesting than the GS, with a cheaper price.

Quick Reply: Let's HEAR YOUR Lexus story!