Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Modded JDM Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 10:00 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
It appears that you got your license somewhere around 2002?

So, you got to drive basically a brand new car right from the time you started driving yet you despise it why?? No COOL factor?

Sorrt, but this annoys me. A complete lack of appreciation. My first car was a clapped out 1974 Camaro..............that I got in 1987! And you know what? I drove that car every day like I was driving a Caddy. Why? because I was DRIVING.
I started driving in the year 2000. The 2001 models went on sale in the fall of 2000. And it's not like I was given the car, I had to borrow it from my mom when she felt like lending it to me.

And trust me, I would have MUCH rather driven an 1974 Camaro (and I loved the 87s too) than a Camry. I would honestly have given anything to have a Camaro back in high school. I literally used to dream about driving Camaros. I don't care how nice a car is, 138hp with a 4 speed auto in a ~3400lb car is not something you want to be driving around when you're 17.

This is exactly my point, even though a Camry is a decent car and may cost a fair amount, there are TONS of cheaper cars that appeal more to me (and I would assume most guys) as a car enthusiast. A Camry is somewhere near the absolute bottom of the list as far as enthusiast appeal goes. Which is why I can't understand somebody putting money into modding one
Old 05-23-07, 10:01 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares if its a camry, it looks good
Old 05-23-07, 10:17 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Why hate, seriously?

In JDM / Asian markets, the Camry's are a whole different class then our bread and butter mainstream Toycos here. Because of its size, typical duty taxes on the Camry's make them ~2X there costs in other places, which then puts them up in the entry level luxury classes. And in other parts of the world, the Camry's are not as prevalent because of this. That's why they are much more "souped" up and accessorized from the dealer. On my trips to Asia, I've seen these Camry's and I wish they were imported to the US somehow; they look great, very luxurious, and have much more appeal then our version here in the US.
Old 05-23-07, 10:19 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks good.. I'd drive one anyday..
Old 05-23-07, 10:22 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

That's one very nicely modded Camry
Old 05-23-07, 10:24 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Nice!!!

I would go for that, even if it is a Camry...

Are those different taillights, or is it just covered with overlays?

those are the tailights in the asian version, not overlays.
Old 05-23-07, 10:28 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not the car, its the people that drive them. My first car was a '98 Mazda 626... second hand from my mom. I drove and cared for it like I do my SC300. I modded it, little things here and there. You do to your car what you want to do to it.

And the fact that it is a Camry, all the more reason why you should mod it... everyone has one, so make yours stand out a bit more. Now, I'm not accoutning for taste here... If someone wants to make a fool out of themselves, then they are free to do it.

My parents just bought a '07 Camry to replace the Mazda Millennia we had and I'm getting some ideas from that picture. That car is very tastefully modded, IMHO.
Old 05-23-07, 10:30 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

that picture is taken in jakarta, indonesia...quite near where my parents live.
Lots of high-end cars get modified in that shop...just look at the background pics and see the slammed S-class.

The camry you see in the picture, a V6 model seen by the 2 exhausts pipes, costs about US $60,000. So, not as cheap as you might think.
They are not common, daily drivers as the ones in USA.

As ST430 said before, the camrys there, are very luxuriously equipped and are looked upon to be executive cars... In fact, only people with the post of General Managers and above would be driving these cars.

And I feel whats important when modifiying cars is the spirit of wanting something unique and different, in any car. Cheap and expensive cars are all good when you just want to show your unique taste.
Old 05-23-07, 10:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Looks really great!
Old 05-23-07, 11:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

That's bad ***
Old 05-23-07, 11:11 AM
ARB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thetopdog
It's not so much that the mods aren't done well, they're very tasteful, it's the fact that they're souping up a CAMRY. Why would anybody want to personalize the most anonymous car of all time? I never understood modding cars like that, it just doesn't make sense to me. You can throw $20000 in mods at that car and you'll still have a Camry at the end of the day.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I was forced to spend the first 5 years of my driving life behind the wheel of my mom's 4cyl 2001 Camry LE, but even back then if somebody offered me $10,000 in free exterior mods, I doubt I would have even taken them up on the offer. Modding a Camry is a futile endeavor in my opinion, it's like modding a minivan
Originally Posted by rominl
well imho there are no difference between cars being modded. by your definition modding a civic is just as stupid (which i don't think so). don't worry, i drove camry as my first car for 6 years too

and maybe to high end car owners' eyes, they say people modding GS are stupid?
I like it, it looks good.. and good point Rominl, to the Maybach, Rolls Royce, Bentley or any high end exotic car owner maybe modding a GS or any Lexus might seem stupid.
Old 05-23-07, 11:35 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ARB
I like it, it looks good.. and good point Rominl, to the Maybach, Rolls Royce, Bentley or any high end exotic car owner maybe modding a GS or any Lexus might seem stupid.
No it wouldn't. 99.99% of people who mod their GS can't afford a Bentley or a Rolls, and the 0.01% that could probably don't want to pay that much for a car

That is entirely different from trying to mod a Camry, when there are literally thousands of alternatives that cost less and are more conducive to being modified for looks and/or performance.

I guess I'm the only one that sees the futility of attempting to personalize the number one selling car in the entire country, and trying to make a performance car out of something that was never designed for anything even remotely resembling performance
Old 05-23-07, 11:43 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Fantastic job, nicely understated classy look.
Old 05-23-07, 12:03 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I detest Civics but that's an entirely different issue

Foofighter: It's not about the cost of the car, Camrys aren't even that cheap. There are about 1000 cars, both new and used I would rather buy and modify for the price of a Camry

PhillipMST: Have you ever heard the adage about trying to polish a turd? That's basically all I'm saying here, if you want a car that's more distinctive and/or sporty, why not buy an actual performance car with the money you would be using to mod a Camry? At least get an Altima or Mazda 6 or something
Same reason why you sold the GS for a Corvette right?

Altimas and 6's are still FWD econocars. I don't see why you would mod those over a Camry anyway. Although I don't see a problem with doing so.
Old 05-23-07, 12:15 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChrisES
Same reason why you sold the GS for a Corvette right?

Altimas and 6's are still FWD econocars. I don't see why you would mod those over a Camry anyway. Although I don't see a problem with doing so.
I sold the GS and bought the Vette becuase I love sports cars. I understand a car like a Corvette (or 911, Viper, Cayman, 350Z, Evo, etc.) is not reasonable/desirable/practical for everybody, obviously I'm not saying everyone should think like me

And I know Altimas and 6s are still basic family transportation, but at least they're a little bit sportier, and have a little more style and uniqueness than a Camry. I'm not telling anybody what to buy or what to do with their money, I'm just honestly wondering why anybody into looks or performance (those are the only 2 reasons to mod, right?) would use a Camry as a starting point

Quick Reply: Modded JDM Camry