Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Modded JDM Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 01:04 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I sold the GS and bought the Vette becuase I love sports cars. I understand a car like a Corvette (or 911, Viper, Cayman, 350Z, Evo, etc.) is not reasonable/desirable/practical for everybody, obviously I'm not saying everyone should think like me

And I know Altimas and 6s are still basic family transportation, but at least they're a little bit sportier, and have a little more style and uniqueness than a Camry. I'm not telling anybody what to buy or what to do with their money, I'm just honestly wondering why anybody into looks or performance (those are the only 2 reasons to mod, right?) would use a Camry as a starting point
Even with the V8, the GS is not much of a sport sedan in its stock form compared to, perhaps a 5-Series. Still, most people here continue to mod their cars. That specific Camry posted isn't the run of the mill every mom drives, but something a bit nicer. A Camry CE base model on the other hand would be a bad starting place. IMO, the new Camry SE V6 is pretty powerful and sporty looking and I prefer its looks over the Altima or 6 any day.
Old 05-23-07, 01:09 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisES
Even with the V8, the GS is not much of a sport sedan in its stock form compared to, perhaps a 5-Series. Still, most people here continue to mod their cars. That specific Camry posted isn't the run of the mill every mom drives, but something a bit nicer. A Camry CE base model on the other hand would be a bad starting place. IMO, the new Camry SE V6 is pretty powerful and sporty looking and I prefer its looks over the Altima or 6 any day.
Fair enough
Old 05-23-07, 03:56 PM
xioix
Racer

I like the way the USDM Camry SE looks, but the ones overseas looks way better even without the kits
Old 05-23-07, 04:54 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice
I still have distant relatives in Asia, and it would take most of their savings to buy a camry there.
Old 05-23-07, 07:08 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

The Camry has never been as sporty as it is today. It has never handled better in stock form, the brakes are better than ever and it has never been this fast before. Back in the days when my Camry (a 1995 model) was new, the V6 did 0-60 in lower to mid 8's. Not fast, but it wasn't the slowest sedan back then by any means. Those were the days when you couldn't tell a Camry SE from a Camry LE on the outside, minus the badge. The current Camry is a far cry from the Camry's of the past. As time goes on, you will see the Camry appeal more than ever to those who otherwise may not consider a Camry. I think the new Camry favors well compared to the competition. Performance figures are similar to the Altima, give or a take a little bit here and there. If we're going by styling, then I think all family sedans under $30k look plain except for (IMO) the Maxima and Mazda 6. The American family sedans have also come along way, especially the Fusion from other sedans that Ford has sold in the US market.
Old 05-23-07, 07:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Nice JDM Camry > USDM Camry in my book
Old 05-23-07, 07:39 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It's an Aurion, not a Camry.

Looks pretty hot though... pity it's FWD.
Old 05-24-07, 04:12 AM
ToyotaFan
Driver

Originally Posted by BLK13X
It's an Aurion, not a Camry.

Looks pretty hot though... pity it's FWD.
The Aurion is also the ASEAN market Camry.

Toyota Style Australia designer, Nick Hogios (Ex-Ford Australia.) and other members of the Aussie design team collaborated to develop the styling of the ASEAN/ Taiwan/ China Camry/ Aussie Aurion together with the Japanese & Thailand/ Taiwanese design team.

The Aurion Sportivo range (Sportivo SX6 & Sportivo ZR6) was totally designed in house by Toyota Style Australia.

Now, I wished that Toyota badged the Aurion as a Vienta & redeveloped the current US-spec Avalon for Australia.

Thai-spec Camry 3.5Q V6-> http://www.e-toyotaclub.com/th/Tccpi...Y/pdf/CARY.pdf
Thai-spec Camry 2.0/ 2.4-> http://www.toyota.co.th/red/th/model...y_brochure.pdf
ASEAN Camry link in English-> http://www.toyota.com.my/hid_6.html
Aussie Aurion-> http://www.toyota.com.au/aurion/
Aussie Aurion Presara-> http://www.toyota.com.au/aurion-presara/

Last edited by ToyotaFan; 05-24-07 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-24-07, 05:01 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I detest Civics but that's an entirely different issue

Foofighter: It's not about the cost of the car, Camrys aren't even that cheap. There are about 1000 cars, both new and used I would rather buy and modify for the price of a Camry

PhillipMST: Have you ever heard the adage about trying to polish a turd? That's basically all I'm saying here, if you want a car that's more distinctive and/or sporty, why not buy an actual performance car with the money you would be using to mod a Camry? At least get an Altima or Mazda 6 or something
If one is modding a car for other peoples approval than I see your point. I like modding my cars for the experience more so than the end product. The result is just icing on the cake. Whether you are modding a Ferrari or a Camry, if you are having fun doing it that is all that matters. I keep telling this story to friend's of mine. I remember my dad telling me it is a waste of time and money to mod my car the way I used to right out of HS, all the time while he was telling me that he was helping me do the mods What I came away with from that experience after looking back is I don't remember so much what my dad used to complain about (The exact words) but I do remember spending time with my dad working on my car. Heck, I mod my moped, I mod my LS400, I even mod my NSX. It doesn't matter because I just enjoy the journey, especially now that my 3 year old son is getting old enough to actually want to help me and does help me. He doesn't do much really, but I remember him telling his grandpa that he helped his daddy install the TV monitors in the car. Now how cool is that

The problem is we live in a class system. The guy's modding Ferrari's think modding a Lexus is a waste of time and money. The guy's modding a Lexus think modding a Camry is a waste of time and money. The guy's modding a Camry think it is a waste of time modding a Kia.

By the way, I think that Camry is hot. Looks great. If I bought a Camry you can bet I'd be modding it. Maybe not performance wise, but modding it in some form.
Old 05-24-07, 06:45 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The problem is we live in a class system. The guy's modding Ferrari's think modding a Lexus is a waste of time and money. The guy's modding a Lexus think modding a Camry is a waste of time and money. The guy's modding a Camry think it is a waste of time modding a Kia.
Again, this has nothing to do with class. Guys that mod Ferraris understand that the vast majority of people modding Lexuses can't afford Ferraris (and if somebody put Ferrari-level money into modding their Lex then they are most likely wasting their time). What I'm saying is that there are (at least to me and everybody I know) thousands of other cars for equal or lesser money that would make a much better starting point. That's just my opinion though
Old 05-24-07, 06:58 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Wow thats like the first indo modded car that is now slammed "indo low". Very nice ride though.
By the way, that car probably cost as much as a Benz S-Class over here. So I guess you can say thats more than a Lexus.

Last edited by Hartawan; 05-24-07 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-24-07, 10:02 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

That is one good looking camry
Very simple and clean.

More reasons to mod the camry since you see like 50,000 of them in one parking lot. I sure want to know which one is mine

New and fairly loaded camrys are pretty expensive. I can see why I wouldn't mod this camry if it approaches the $30k mark. I'd rather get a nice used lexus instead
Old 05-24-07, 10:06 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Looks good.
Old 05-24-07, 03:40 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
New and fairly loaded camrys are pretty expensive. I can see why I wouldn't mod this camry if it approaches the $30k mark.
That Camry looks nice The 50th Anniversary Camry Hybrid costs $32,300 and Im sure there are mark-ups as well. Thats $2045 more than the IS250 manual($875 more than the IS250 auto) and only $1170 cheaper than the ES350! The XLE V6 is not much cheaper either.. the top end Camrys have definitely moved in to Lexus price levels.
Old 05-24-07, 04:44 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

That's best looking Camry I've ever seen.

Quick Reply: Modded JDM Camry