Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Modded JDM Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 07:00 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I see it differently.

In all honesty, if I had a high-end sports car, I would just spend the $$ that I would have used for mods, and donated that money to charity. At least it would have been more useful for more people...
Is everyone paying attention out there?

Originally Posted by foofighter

And what's wrong w/ modding a minivan?!
Speaking of which, did anyone ever see that video of a chrysler minivan that had an engine swap ******* a deeply modded camaro in a 1/4? Hilarious

Originally Posted by thetopdog
PhillipMST: Have you ever heard the adage about trying to polish a turd?
The Camry is no turd. Maybe not a perfect diamond either but far from a turd. Unless a turd to you is a car that doesnt have great design for your taste and/or lack-luster performance. If that would be the case then I would consider it your opinion on the word "turd" which should be in question here.

PhillipMST: That's basically all I'm saying here, if you want a car that's more distinctive and/or sporty, why not buy an actual performance car with the money you would be using to mod a Camry? At least get an Altima or Mazda 6 or something
For various reasons. Maybe they dont want an Altime or Mazda 6. Maybe they think those are turds. Now I woudn't buy the camry but I see nothing wrong with modding a car that you like. Heck, my first car that I purchased was an 88 cutlass supreme in 96. I wanted the baddest cutty out there. Now would you ask me why I modded it? My anonymous car suddenly looked a LOT better then other cuttys.
Old 05-25-07, 11:09 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-26-07, 12:24 AM
TLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleeper408
That's best looking Camry I've ever seen.
I agree.
Old 05-26-07, 11:29 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, this has nothing to do with class. Guys that mod Ferraris understand that the vast majority of people modding Lexuses can't afford Ferraris (and if somebody put Ferrari-level money into modding their Lex then they are most likely wasting their time). What I'm saying is that there are (at least to me and everybody I know) thousands of other cars for equal or lesser money that would make a much better starting point. That's just my opinion though
Yup it sure is your opinion. You sound like a Camry hater. You sound like one of those that has the old idea of a Camry still stuck in their heads and can't get it out.

They modded it to look nice... put some nice wheels on, dropped it some, and running a very clean-looking car. There's nothing wrong with that. If you can't see the reasons for doing that to a nice new car; then I don't think you quite understand the spirit of modifying cars. The Camry is no turd; and i'd bet is FAR nicer on the inside and out than the "thousands" of cars you claim are better. Its ok though, its your opinion... and you're a hater
Old 05-27-07, 01:25 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
Is everyone paying attention out there?
The Camry is no turd. Maybe not a perfect diamond either but far from a turd. Unless a turd to you is a car that doesnt have great design for your taste and/or lack-luster performance. If that would be the case then I would consider it your opinion on the word "turd" which should be in question here.
We're talking about modding cars, aren't we? So when I say it's a 'turd', I mean it's not a good platform for mods, not that's it's a bad car. I know the Camry is a good car. My mom's Camry has been reliable through hundreds of thousands of miles of abuse. It's relatively comfortable, and the interior's decent. That's not the point though

The point is the Camry is absolutely one of the LEAST sporty and LEAST unique cars in the world. For the price (a loaded Camry isn't cheap) it is the LEAST unique and among the LEAST sporty cars you can buy. If you want to use that as a platform to start modding, go ahead. I'll stick with buying cars that I don't see 50 times a day and were actually meant to look good and perform well from the outset. At least then I won't be playing catch up if I do decide to start modding
Old 05-27-07, 07:51 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I think the USDM SE V6 looks good but this one looks great.
Old 05-27-07, 07:59 AM
ToyotaFan
Driver

Here's a previous gen. ASEAN Camry (Pre-facelift model) from Thailand, done up with a JP style kit.

http://www.camryclub.com/modules.php...wtopic&t=12332

Camry Club Gallery. Lots of interesting pictures here-> http://www.camryclub.com/modules.php...viewforum&f=17
Old 05-27-07, 08:01 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

We're talking about modding cars, aren't we? So when I say it's a 'turd', I mean it's not a good platform for mods, not that's it's a bad car. I know the Camry is a good car. My mom's Camry has been reliable through hundreds of thousands of miles of abuse. It's relatively comfortable, and the interior's decent. That's not the point though

The point is the Camry is absolutely one of the LEAST sporty and LEAST unique cars in the world. For the price (a loaded Camry isn't cheap) it is the LEAST unique and among the LEAST sporty cars you can buy. If you want to use that as a platform to start modding, go ahead. I'll stick with buying cars that I don't see 50 times a day and were actually meant to look good and perform well from the outset. At least then I won't be playing catch up if I do decide to start modding

I really wanted to avoid jumping into this argument, but I really have to say, that your sir, are completely lost on the concept of modifying cars. Honestly.
Old 05-27-07, 08:48 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I started driving in the year 2000. The 2001 models went on sale in the fall of 2000. And it's not like I was given the car, I had to borrow it from my mom when she felt like lending it to me.

And trust me, I would have MUCH rather driven an 1974 Camaro (and I loved the 87s too) than a Camry. I would honestly have given anything to have a Camaro back in high school. I literally used to dream about driving Camaros. I don't care how nice a car is, 138hp with a 4 speed auto in a ~3400lb car is not something you want to be driving around when you're 17.

This is exactly my point, even though a Camry is a decent car and may cost a fair amount, there are TONS of cheaper cars that appeal more to me (and I would assume most guys) as a car enthusiast. A Camry is somewhere near the absolute bottom of the list as far as enthusiast appeal goes. Which is why I can't understand somebody putting money into modding one
So basically, you hate Camry's and you want us to hate them, too.
I would buy a Camry and then I would mod it. It's in the blood. Doesn't matter what car I have it will be modded. If it's an exotic it would only get wheels but that's still modding.

The modern Camry is the best looking ever made imo. The quality has improved as well. Some cost near 30K. I think it's worthy of respect. You can hate them all you want, don't expect us to share your disdain.
Old 05-27-07, 10:51 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reggiek
So basically, you hate Camry's and you want us to hate them, too.
I would buy a Camry and then I would mod it. It's in the blood. Doesn't matter what car I have it will be modded. If it's an exotic it would only get wheels but that's still modding.

The modern Camry is the best looking ever made imo. The quality has improved as well. Some cost near 30K. I think it's worthy of respect. You can hate them all you want, don't expect us to share your disdain.
How do I hate Camrys when in my post you quoted I said it's a good car? I agree, the new Camry is the nicest looking Camry ever. It actually looks pretty decent apart from the funky nose and a few other weird details. I'm sure it's very reliable as well. That doesn't change the fact that it is not and will never be anything resembling a performance vehicle, and barring any radical changes it will still be an extremely bland car that you see on the streets far too often

Mr F1: If not understanding why somebody would want to put $10000 in mods on a $30000 car and end up with a car that performs and looks worse than a car that costs $40000 (or even another car that costs $30000) means I'm 'lost' on the concept of modding cars, then I'm glad I'm lost. At least I'll save my time and money this way. By the way, I have a bunch of mods planned for my car when I have the money, I'm not anti-modification whatsoever, I just don't know why somebody would throw money at a Camry
Old 05-27-07, 11:10 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why somebody would throw money at a Camry
thetopdog, do you think modding an ES350 is waste of time/ $?
Old 05-27-07, 12:21 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do I hate Camrys when in my post you quoted I said it's a good car? I agree, the new Camry is the nicest looking Camry ever. It actually looks pretty decent apart from the funky nose and a few other weird details. I'm sure it's very reliable as well. That doesn't change the fact that it is not and will never be anything resembling a performance vehicle, and barring any radical changes it will still be an extremely bland car that you see on the streets far too often

Mr F1: If not understanding why somebody would want to put $10000 in mods on a $30000 car and end up with a car that performs and looks worse than a car that costs $40000 (or even another car that costs $30000) means I'm 'lost' on the concept of modding cars, then I'm glad I'm lost. At least I'll save my time and money this way. By the way, I have a bunch of mods planned for my car when I have the money, I'm not anti-modification whatsoever, I just don't know why somebody would throw money at a Camry
Maybe you don't understand the concept of modding. It's probably different for different people.
I mod for individuality. I want my car to be different than all the others the company produced.
I mod for looks. I like looking good even if I'm the only one looking at it.
Performance is in third place for me because let's face it, we aren't racing and from the standpoint of pure transportation, it's a waste of money. That's why emption is so important in this thing...how you feel about cars is the only reason for modding. I'd mod anything except an Aztek. Nothing will make it look better. I wouldn't buy one either...but I don't hate them and don't care if someone else mods one.
Old 05-27-07, 12:25 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Firstly, Its MR_F1,
Secondly, you don't know how much was spent. Thirdly, Its your opinion (and looking at the rest of the thread, you stand alone) that it doesn't look better than most 40k cars and a really stupid assumption that it is worse performing.
Furthermore, it was already pointed out that these cars are way more expensive overseas than they are in the US. On top of that, why not mod a camry? The essence of modding is being unique, and if you own a car that has 400,000 other copies, why not do something to make it different? It's his/her money, why NOT spend $10k on a 30k car? I admit it would be silly in CERTAIN cases to spend say, 15k on a 1k car, but honestly... you don't have much of a point really. I'm with reggie 100%. Modding is a thing some people love to do. Any car I have, will be modded as long as I have the means to do so.
Old 05-27-07, 01:16 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Looks amazing, I'd rock it.
Old 05-27-07, 02:20 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

well i hope that no one who is bashing this car drives an ES of any kind because thats also just a "tricked out camry"

Quick Reply: Modded JDM Camry