Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Modded JDM Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 07:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Modded JDM Camry

Found these while looking up some stuff for my Dad's car. Thought it looked pretty cool. Wonder what mods people have done here?

http://www.conceptmotorsport.com/aut...ry.asp?gid=836
Old 05-23-07, 08:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice!!!

I would go for that, even if it is a Camry...

Are those different taillights, or is it just covered with overlays?
Old 05-23-07, 08:15 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be an Aurion right?
Old 05-23-07, 08:52 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

One question:

WHY?!?!
Old 05-23-07, 08:52 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice. wonder why we never get those versions in the usdm.
Old 05-23-07, 08:58 AM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

that is baaaaaaaaaaaaad
Old 05-23-07, 08:58 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

That looks real nice.
Old 05-23-07, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
One question:

WHY?!?!
what's wrong with the car? i think it's done pretty well
Old 05-23-07, 09:09 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

why? why not?! that thing looks great
Old 05-23-07, 09:20 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
what's wrong with the car? i think it's done pretty well
It's not so much that the mods aren't done well, they're very tasteful, it's the fact that they're souping up a CAMRY. Why would anybody want to personalize the most anonymous car of all time? I never understood modding cars like that, it just doesn't make sense to me. You can throw $20000 in mods at that car and you'll still have a Camry at the end of the day.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I was forced to spend the first 5 years of my driving life behind the wheel of my mom's 4cyl 2001 Camry LE, but even back then if somebody offered me $10,000 in free exterior mods, I doubt I would have even taken them up on the offer. Modding a Camry is a futile endeavor in my opinion, it's like modding a minivan
Old 05-23-07, 09:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well imho there are no difference between cars being modded. by your definition modding a civic is just as stupid (which i don't think so). don't worry, i drove camry as my first car for 6 years too

and maybe to high end car owners' eyes, they say people modding GS are stupid?
Old 05-23-07, 09:37 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

It's not so much that the mods aren't done well, they're very tasteful, it's the fact that they're souping up a CAMRY. Why would anybody want to personalize the most anonymous car of all time? I never understood modding cars like that, it just doesn't make sense to me. You can throw $20000 in mods at that car and you'll still have a Camry at the end of the day.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I was forced to spend the first 5 years of my driving life behind the wheel of my mom's 4cyl 2001 Camry LE, but even back then if somebody offered me $10,000 in free exterior mods, I doubt I would have even taken them up on the offer. Modding a Camry is a futile endeavor in my opinion, it's like modding a minivan
not everyone can afford a high end car to sup up. modding cars is not reserved to high dollar cars, maybe that's the reason why owners mod their anonymous cars, because it is anonymous.

And what's wrong w/ modding a minivan?! I've seen some really nicely done minivans...one member on here posted pics recently of his Odyssey.

but you're entitled to your opinion.
Old 05-23-07, 09:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Other side of the spectrum...

Why would anybody want to personalize the most anonymous car of all time? I never understood modding cars like that, it just doesn't make sense to me. You can throw $20000 in mods at that car and you'll still have a Camry at the end of the day.
I see it differently.

I don't understand why people would soup up a sports car, like a Ferrari or a Lambo. I mean, they're about 600 hp stock, but someone drops another $50k to make it 150 lbs lighter with 620 hp. WHY?!? Is it all that necessary?

It's necessary to make the Camry (or any other non-sporty car) more sporty and distinctive. I see absolutely no reason why someone would want to make a high-end sports car even more sporty and even more distinctive (like I couldn't tell it was a Ferarri or Aston Martin from a mile away).

I can understand if you mod a high-end sports car for aesthetics, but there is no reason (unless if you take it to a track often) to make it even more sporty.

In all honesty, if I had a high-end sports car, I would just spend the $$ that I would have used for mods, and donated that money to charity. At least it would have been more useful for more people...
Old 05-23-07, 09:53 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'm just bitter because I was forced to spend the first 5 years of my driving life behind the wheel of my mom's 4cyl 2001 Camry LE,

It appears that you got your license somewhere around 2002?

So, you got to drive basically a brand new car right from the time you started driving yet you despise it why?? No COOL factor?

Sorrt, but this annoys me. A complete lack of appreciation. My first car was a clapped out 1974 Camaro..............that I got in 1987! And you know what? I drove that car every day like I was driving a Caddy. Why? because I was DRIVING.
Old 05-23-07, 09:54 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
well imho there are no difference between cars being modded. by your definition modding a civic is just as stupid (which i don't think so). don't worry, i drove camry as my first car for 6 years too

and maybe to high end car owners' eyes, they say people modding GS are stupid?
I detest Civics but that's an entirely different issue

Foofighter: It's not about the cost of the car, Camrys aren't even that cheap. There are about 1000 cars, both new and used I would rather buy and modify for the price of a Camry

PhillipMST: Have you ever heard the adage about trying to polish a turd? That's basically all I'm saying here, if you want a car that's more distinctive and/or sporty, why not buy an actual performance car with the money you would be using to mod a Camry? At least get an Altima or Mazda 6 or something

Quick Reply: Modded JDM Camry