Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Senator who voted for anti-cellphone-driving law crashes car -- while on the phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 11:01 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Senator who voted for anti-cellphone-driving law crashes car -- while on the phone

We're sure somewhere Drew Curtis's head is exploding over this one: submitted for your perusal, one California State Senator Carole Migden -- former voter for a state bill that fines people for using their cellphones while driving -- rear-ended her state-issued SUV into a Honda sedan on Highway 12 in Solano County, today. While on her phone. The driver of the Honda was taken to the hospital with minor injuries, although the most painful aspect of this story is surely the jaws-of-life-biting irony. Then again, at least we know Midgen's heart is in the right place; like the cleaned-up drug addict invited to tell schoolkids to stay off the dope, surely this morning more than others Midgen felt all the more confident in having voted the way she did.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/21/s...s-crashes-car/
Old 05-23-07, 11:24 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She's trying to show everyone how important it is to have this law
Old 05-23-07, 11:38 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

LOL, you couldn't ask for a better setup than this.
Old 05-23-07, 11:43 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Old 05-23-07, 11:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Don't do as I do, do as I say.

She's the perfect hypocrite. Hopefully she shows a lot of remorse.

The governor of NJ, on the other hand, I have to say really impressed me with his apology, full acknowledgment that he set a terrible example not wearing a seatbelt in the accident that almost killed him recently.
Old 05-23-07, 12:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

The governor of NJ, on the other hand, I have to say really impressed me with his apology, full acknowledgment that he set a terrible example not wearing a seatbelt in the accident that almost killed him recently.
Unlike Princess (by that time, ex-Princess) Diana and her boyfriend, at least he survived TO apologize. Diana and Fedayed were probably the two classic examples of NOT wearing belts. (And that omission has never been really explained by her bodyguard, whose JOB it was to make sure she was protected).
Old 05-23-07, 12:33 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Hypocricy at it's very best. She should be fined double, just kidding but hopefully this is a lesson on her part...
Old 05-23-07, 12:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best way to learn is to learn it the hard way...

I wouldn't call her a hypocrite. Who knew if she had a car with bluetooth, and the SUV didn't have it at the time? People make mistakes, and she made one. Who knows if she did it all the time. At least she didn't hide the fact that she made a mistake.

She can further push for that bill with justification. Should she just kill the bill for legislation just because she made the mistake? Should she vote not to approve it just because she fell victim to her own mistake? Absolutely not. She learned her lesson, and so have we.
Old 05-23-07, 12:50 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, she may have made a mistake, but that doesn't change the fact that she's a hypocrite. She stood up and said "this is unsafe and no one should be allowed to do it" and then did it herself. She is the very DEFINITION of a hypocrite:

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
Old 05-23-07, 12:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Best way to learn is to learn it the hard way...

I wouldn't call her a hypocrite. Who knew if she had a car with bluetooth, and the SUV didn't have it at the time? People make mistakes, and she made one. Who knows if she did it all the time. At least she didn't hide the fact that she made a mistake.

She can further push for that bill with justification. Should she just kill the bill for legislation just because she made the mistake? Should she vote not to approve it just because she fell victim to her own mistake? Absolutely not. She learned her lesson, and so have we.
I agree about someone who has no sin casting the first stone, but it is difficult IMO, to have a lot of sympathy for someone like this. She herself voted, as a legislator, KNOWING what she was voting on, to make it a public offense. It was like Bill Clinton's famous statement "'I did NOT have sex with that woman" and then getting caught literally with his pants down.
Old 05-23-07, 01:04 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

She's stupid for even letting anybody know she was on her cellphone, since she rear-ended somebody, I highly doubt the other driver was watching her before the accident. The last thing I would do if I was in an accident, my fault or not, would be to let anybody know I was on my cellphone at the time
Old 05-23-07, 01:52 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

God, I love irony...
Old 05-23-07, 01:57 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I wouldn't call her a hypocrite. Who knew if she had a car with bluetooth, and the SUV didn't have it at the time? People make mistakes, and she made one.
Talking on the phone while driving requires a conscious decision to perform a dangerous act. I don't consider that a mistake.

What she did is the definition of hypocrisy.
Old 05-23-07, 03:07 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

hahaha owned.
Old 05-23-07, 11:55 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

LOL!!

~Josh

Quick Reply: Senator who voted for anti-cellphone-driving law crashes car -- while on the phone