Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ticket question and advise please

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 06:02 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

were you the only car on the on coming side of the road?

I would have asked to see his radar....

From what my lawyer here has said to me and has done for me, you can fight it.

I had my lawyer have a radar ticket thrown out last year... the cop was hiding in the bushes and was radaring down the street, I was with a pack of cars and was shotgun in the middle lane with cars on both sides.... he ended up pulling me over and giving me the ticket for going 60 in a 35.... In court my lawyer had it throw out based on simple geometry.... he drew a triangle and one point was where he was sitting on the side of the road and based on my lawyers knowledge of the radar gun type he stated that this radar can sometimes be off a few degrees to the left or right if it hasn’t been calibrated recently. He asked the cop how far away he was when he tagged me and the guy said something like 600 yards.. don’t exactly remember... and my lawyer said “well officer you started that there were cars around my clients vehicle and the time, and that if you were xxx amount of feet away and this radar can be of by a few degrees. Then in the range of xxx ft your gun could have locked onto any of the cars in the three lanes and there for only had a 33% chance of locking on to my clients“.... this is just off the top of my head but that’s about what he said...

the judge called him and the officer to the stand and they whispered some stuff and the cop came back looking pissed as all hell, the judge told me to stop following other cars that were speeding and to obey the limit.... dismissed the ticket according to something or another (law mumbo jumbo )

Bottom line I'd fight it, there is a chance he doesn’t even show up, you can get it thrown out on a technicality, you might be able to get it dismissed, or of all else fails begging worked for me once, lol the judge felt bad and lessened my fine
Old 05-23-07, 06:06 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i usually do is extend it 3 times, and take it to court, and if the cop doesnt show up, its an automatic dismissal....in ca it works once in a while. Dont know how the cops are in fl. goodluck with everything
Old 05-23-07, 06:08 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
You were driving right? So you know if you were going 90mph right? If the officer comes to you and say "son, you were going 90mph" seems to me he would KNOW and not be GUESSing. As was said, radar is capable of clocking cars going in both directions...while moving. And officer does not have to show you the radar gun. good luck.
the thing is i was going more like 80ish for a sec. and i slow down right after i saw the police. thats why i thought he was guessing
Old 05-23-07, 06:11 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 00es300
what i usually do is extend it 3 times, and take it to court, and if the cop doesnt show up, its an automatic dismissal....in ca it works once in a while. Dont know how the cops are in fl. goodluck with everything
what do you mean by extend it 3 times? like every fourth ticket?
Old 05-23-07, 06:32 PM
infra917
Driver

yea, i would be happy with that, (from cali too)
Old 05-23-07, 06:33 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

Lucky you weren't on your Gixxer! He probably would have thrown the book at you. 90+ is wreckless with intent to kill in Virginia. A friend of my sons just got caught doing 105MPH on I95 with his 750 GSXR. He got 15 days jail time (one day for every mile over 90).

The traffic court recommendation is a good one. Forget the lawyer, unless you've had multiple tickets going this fast.

I would be concerned most about your car and bike insurance.....

Also, get a better radar detector!!

Good Luck - and Slow Down! Save those speeds for the track please.
Old 05-23-07, 06:40 PM
Gian
Rookie

I contested my speeding ticket (without a lawyer), and fortunately - I was able to get my refund back and avoid the point. I was "supposedly" clocked in at 57 MPH at a 40 MPH street, but I never admitted to that. I was mad because my co-worker just so happened to receive the same ticket on that same street, by the same cop, on the same day of the week at around the SAME time of day. I copied my ticket next to his, submitted that as evidence for ticketing on an unfair basis (not to mention, illegal use of speed trapping), and a month later, I was dismissed on all counts.

Don't get a lawyer, they'll just scam you. If you think you've been injusticed, and you're articulate enough - contest that trash.
Old 05-23-07, 06:53 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ssmoked
what do you mean by extend it 3 times? like every fourth ticket?
He means to go to court and get your date postponed. Tell them that your lawyer was unable to make it or whatever reason you want, and they will give you a new court date. Then at the next court date do it again. Eventually the officer wont show up if you are lucky. If you have a friend who is a lawyer it is easier to have them do it for you, but if you have to pay for one I don't think it would be worth it.
Old 05-23-07, 07:05 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143159 ...

Does your state allow defensive driving and/or probation as an option for keeping tickets off your record? If so, you may want to go that route.
Old 05-23-07, 07:10 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
what are the chances that i will win? cost anything if i lose?
In california generally speaking if you show up they knock the fine down. the amount that is posted on the citation is the "bail amount" that is the fine if you choose to pay it and waive your rights to contest it. I have gone to court on a 271.00 illegal lane change ticket and they knocked it down 100.00, so in reality you have nothing to loose, they will not make you pay more then what is initially state as the amount, they may dismiss it, lower it or hold the fine as is. Also you may take the chance that the police officer 1) wont show up and its dismissed, 2) cannot back up his statements and cannot account for how he deduced you were doing 90 MPH. i worked for a department that did not use radar, we paced or we "estimated" so we did not issue a ticket for speeding unless we were able to attest to the method how we determined the speed. But since you were pulled over by a traffic cop and his sole duty in life was to issue citations he probably used radar, he is not obligated to tell you how he got you unless you ask. (atleast in california) but you will find that out in court....
Since i worked gang enforcement we did not do alot "traffic" except the usual "your tail light is out" type stops to as a Probable cause to search the car, they had a traffic division for that.

anyway, i would take it to court and exercise your right to confront your accuser on all charges, you have nothing to loose.

good luck!
Old 05-23-07, 07:21 PM
taylorjste
Pole Position

i agree with poster above.. i wont bore you all with the details, but in my past experiences contesting the ticket has always proven to be a better option than paying the fine outright.. it may end up being drawn out for a few months, but chances are you will come out better than you would by just mailing the pd a check.. good luck!

P.S. what radar detector were you using? was it on?
Old 05-23-07, 07:22 PM
KonvicGX
Driver School Candidate

Yea, If its your first speeding ticket, if you take it to what they call "PRE COURT" the judge will cut you a deal usually a price and traffic school with no points, if the tickets 208, he might make you pay 200 or 250 you never know but hell most prolly send you to traffic school which would be a hella alot better then having points and your insurance going up...

You should of been pulled over in the gsxer, flip the tag and open the carbs up ...lmao just kidding dont do that lol
Old 05-23-07, 08:05 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea. go to court at worse u will have to pay the fine which u would have to do if u didnt go. and sometime talk to the da and they will knock the fine down to a non moving violation. or u can get luck and not pay anything. Id go to court.. just my 2 cents
Old 05-23-07, 08:13 PM
josta
Driver School Candidate

In California, "Traffic School" in many courts consist of getting a little booklet in the mail and a open-book "test" that you take in front of a Notary. Took my wife all of two hours, including coffee breaks.
Old 05-23-07, 08:23 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

I am going to court and see if they will cut me any slack. If I do lose or something, will they charge me extra?

In Florida if its your first offense, the traffic school can avoid points for the first violation. so i should go to traffic school and pay the fine and go to court and hope the cop dont show up??

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
In california generally speaking if you show up they knock the fine down. the amount that is posted on the citation is the "bail amount" that is the fine if you choose to pay it and waive your rights to contest it. I have gone to court on a 271.00 illegal lane change ticket and they knocked it down 100.00, so in reality you have nothing to loose, they will not make you pay more then what is initially state as the amount, they may dismiss it, lower it or hold the fine as is. Also you may take the chance that the police officer 1) wont show up and its dismissed, 2) cannot back up his statements and cannot account for how he deduced you were doing 90 MPH. i worked for a department that did not use radar, we paced or we "estimated" so we did not issue a ticket for speeding unless we were able to attest to the method how we determined the speed. But since you were pulled over by a traffic cop and his sole duty in life was to issue citations he probably used radar, he is not obligated to tell you how he got you unless you ask. (atleast in california) but you will find that out in court....
Since i worked gang enforcement we did not do alot "traffic" except the usual "your tail light is out" type stops to as a Probable cause to search the car, they had a traffic division for that.

anyway, i would take it to court and exercise your right to confront your accuser on all charges, you have nothing to loose.

good luck!

Quick Reply: ticket question and advise please