Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ticket question and advise please

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 11:27 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

well i went to the court today trying to fish out some information. the lady/cashier told me there is a 25 dollars of court fees regardless and the judge could fine me up to 500 dollars if found guilty. she said since a FHP (florida highway patrol) pulled me over, they always show up to court because they get paid 200+ dollars overtime and thats simply their job to pull people over. She did tell me that i can extend up to 3 month to pay the ticket (is this what you guys are talking about extending?) Can anyone confirm the information she said is accurate?
If its true, right now im just thinking about paying for it. Unless there is a way to reduce the ticket since its my first.

Thanks for all your help
Old 05-24-07, 11:28 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

well i went to the court today trying to fish out some information. the lady/cashier told me there is a 25 dollars of court fees regardless and the judge could fine me up to 500 dollars if found guilty. she said since a FHP (florida highway patrol) pulled me over, they always show up to court because they get paid 200+ dollars overtime and thats simply their job to pull people over. She did tell me that i can extend up to 3 month to pay the ticket (is this what you guys are talking about extending?) Can anyone confirm the information she said is accurate?
If its true, right now im just thinking about paying for it. Unless there is a way to reduce the ticket since its my first.

Thanks for all your help
Old 05-24-07, 11:41 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife decided to fight her $150 speeding ticket in traffic court recently. She did this once before years ago. The cop never showed up and the ticket was dismissed. She was hoping for the same thing. This time, however, the cop showed up and brought the radar gun with the most recent calibration report. My wife didn't have a leg to stand on and ended up paying $200+ with court fees! LOL!
Old 05-24-07, 12:00 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

She is a clerk & not a legal aide. They don't want you in court as it takes their time up. Go to court, say there were cars passing you so u didn't realize u were going that fast or some other idea like that.
Point out that this was your 1st speeding, etc. Say it will never happen again, go for it.
Old 05-24-07, 12:11 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
they always show up to court because they get paid 200+ dollars overtime and thats simply their job to pull people over.
yes dps always show. they are such **** suckers too.

check to see if florida offers deferred adjudication.
Old 05-24-07, 12:48 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

Fight that. Get a lawyer and get no points. 90 in a 65 is outrageous man, slow down lol
Old 05-24-07, 12:58 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Hey all,

I was stopped today doing 90 at 65 in my car and the fine is $208.50 (is this the right amount in FL?). This is my first ticket and the FHP said he did not want to cut me a break since a radar detector was in use. Could I please get some opinion on what I should do (fight it, lawyer to reduce the fee, pay it). The thing is, I know I was going a little too fast off I95 but he said I was going 90 and he didn't show me his radar gun. He was traveling the other direction, was he just guessing how fast I was going or could he have just clocked my speed?

I know that there are alot of officers on this site, could you kindly please assist me in my best decision
Thanks for all your help!!!
Write every pertinent detail down (location, time, weather, how many cars around you at the time, etc., etc.) so that you don't forget it.
Then go consult with a traffic lawyer - it should be free. They will be able to tell you approximately what your chances of getting this ticket dismissed are.
Based on that information, you can make a decision on whether it is worth to pay the lawyer or the court and take traffic school.
Old 05-24-07, 01:08 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

If you post your problem/question in as many forums as possible, it'll probably just take care of itself.
Old 05-24-07, 01:11 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
If you post your problem/question in as many forums as possible, it'll probably just take care of itself.

At least someone finally said it. If you put as much effort into looking out for cops as you did putting up posts about this, you should NEVER get a ticket.

At the very least, stop speeding if getting a ticket has you panicking this much... Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
Old 05-24-07, 01:50 PM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

you've obviously had no experience with this before, which is a very good thing!!! If i was you, and my license was clean i would take a defensive driving class(usually no more than 8hrs on a sat./cost about 70bucks) and present it when you go to court. In my experience this reduced my citation to like $50 bucks and they shouldnt give you any points.then you could use the 3month period to pay it, unless your a baller haha. However, if you have previous history of speeding, such as myself and are pending losing your license, then i would go to defensive driving prior to court, get a lawyer and he can have the judge reduce your speed and salvage your license but the fine might be more.

I just recently went to court for 95 in a 65(my fourth offense over 85mph) and my lawyer had them reduce the speed to 80 to save my license, they gave me no points but i had to pay a $770.00 fine.

I got bent over without the KY on that one^

My recommendation(if your record is clean) is to do the defensive driving and present it when you go to court. tell them you messed up and decided take a defensive driving course to show the court good faith. They are gonna make you take one anyways, so you mind as well do it now becuase it looks better to the courts this way. They should reduce it greatly!!! less $$$ out of pocket that way!

Good luck, and we feel your pain!
Old 05-24-07, 02:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

ssmoked

I'm sorry about your ticket but I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you six more (forum style) and I am going to close this thread.

You spammed SIX model forums with exactly the same post unrelated to any of the vehicles and ignored our forum rules.

I've merged all those posts here... you've got some good advice on following the speed limit and obey the law. I'd advise you to follow those of this forum in the future please or I'll be forced to revoke your license to post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq..._rule_new_post
Creating New Posts
Members are free to post replies in any threads or create new posts in the forums. Always try to make meaningful and complete posts and try to select the appropriate forum. At times, moderators may move your post to another forum that is more suitable for the topic you have posted. Please try to use a descriptive title for your post, something like “Need Help!” is not useful and will cause many experienced members to skip your post.

Although Club Lexus members receive different status titles depending on the number of posts members have, we do not encourage members to post just for the sake of posting. Doing so will result in deletion of your posts, warnings, and possibly membership suspension. Examples of meaningless posts are:

• What did you have for breakfast today? • It is so hot here.

Please create only one single post for your topic – do not ‘spam’ multiple forums by created multiple threads or links to posts in other sub-forums without the permission of the forum administrator.