Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Toyota planning a V6 Auris/Corolla ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 10:04 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Toyota has the highest shares in Subaru. I don't think they'd want to step on eachothers toes. I mean don't get me wrong, it'd be awesome for Toyota to do it but I'm doubtful that they'll compete with Subaru.
If they want to compete in that segment they should bring a coupe variant. All-Trac Celica.

that i'd love to see and have been waiting for since they stopped the GT-4 in 99.

But guess what? Toyota only owns ~8.7% of subaru. I doubt they give a .... u know what. Besides, their products already clash
Old 05-25-07, 02:22 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

I'm really hoping for a new All-Trac.

if they would put a v6 in a corolla it would probably be the 4GR-FSE (the 2.5 liter from the IS 250)
Old 05-25-07, 04:20 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
that i'd love to see and have been waiting for since they stopped the GT-4 in 99.

But guess what? Toyota only owns ~8.7% of subaru. I doubt they give a .... u know what. Besides, their products already clash
Well, I know it's a small percentage but they're trying to work together on technologies. Subaru is kinda a niche market being an AWD lineup. So yea, the Impreza is in the same small sedan market as the Corolla but they are vastly different because of the AWD factor.
I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 05-25-07, 04:52 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
if they would put a v6 in a corolla it would probably be the 4GR-FSE (the 2.5 liter from the IS 250)
It would probably be? Or your opinion is that the 2.5 makes more sense?

If they find some logical reason to put a V6 in the Corolla, then the 2.5 does make more sense than the 3.5. But in the end, people buy the Corolla because of price point and economy. Not for its [non-existent] sporting tendencies. Can you imagine a nose-heavy car with a Toyota-pillow-soft suspension? Can you say understeer? Yeah, that'd be fun to drive.
Old 05-25-07, 05:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
It would probably be? Or your opinion is that the 2.5 makes more sense?

If they find some logical reason to put a V6 in the Corolla, then the 2.5 does make more sense than the 3.5. But in the end, people buy the Corolla because of price point and economy. Not for its [non-existent] sporting tendencies. Can you imagine a nose-heavy car with a Toyota-pillow-soft suspension? Can you say understeer? Yeah, that'd be fun to drive.
1. Stuffing big engines in small cars has been happening for decades
2. Some people might just want a faster car, not one that handles better
3. No one knows what a base new Corolla drives like, yet alone this new one.

Funny but the Corolla may have the same size engine as Honda's top of the line sedan, a 3.5 liter V_6. That is LAUGHABLE.

Old 05-25-07, 05:39 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. Stuffing big engines in small cars has been happening for decades
Name a few for me. edit: and I'm not referring to one-off project cars, or small sports cars.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny but the Corolla may have the same size engine as Honda's top of the line sedan, a 3.5 liter V_6. That is LAUGHABLE.
Laughable in the sense that it's just wasteful overkill? I agree.
Old 05-25-07, 07:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
Name a few for me. edit: and I'm not referring to one-off project cars, or small sports cars.

Laughable in the sense that it's just wasteful overkill? I agree.
Back in the 1950s, Mr. Delorean put huge V-8s in smaller cars.
AUdi, BMW, Lexus, Benz all put V-8s in their compact entry level cars.
Mazdaspeed 3 has the engine from the 6
BMW 135 has the I-6 from the 3 series

There are tons of others I fail to mention of the top of my head. Some people are interested in a nice bigger engine with some torque and power at low RPM.

What you see as overkill, many see as a nice abundance of power. Some people don't want to rev their cars to 8,000 RPM to get 100lbs of torque.

Old 05-25-07, 08:45 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I guess that's not what I was after. I was thinking small cars, like the Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, Kia, Hyundai, etc. Entry level, economy cars. None of them (that I can think of) uses a big engine in any of their offerings, because of weight, size, and loss of economy.

And when I say big engine, I mean large/heavy. With a softly sprung, light-ish car (well, any car for this matter), the last thing you want is a big, heavy engine sitting out in front of the the front axle. It just compounds bad handling characteristics that are already inherent in FWD designs.
Old 05-25-07, 09:25 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
I guess that's not what I was after. I was thinking small cars, like the Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, Kia, Hyundai, etc. Entry level, economy cars. None of them (that I can think of) uses a big engine in any of their offerings, because of weight, size, and loss of economy.

And when I say big engine, I mean large/heavy. With a softly sprung, light-ish car (well, any car for this matter), the last thing you want is a big, heavy engine sitting out in front of the the front axle. It just compounds bad handling characteristics that are already inherent in FWD designs.

Ok....so Toyota will just take this V6 (which the chassis was already designed to accommodate) and plop it in without any other modifications? I fail to see your reasoning.

People, 1) This is a rumor
2) If they do it, it will be to avoid the expense of developing a new engine
3) Honda has a hi-po civic, mitsubishi- the lancer evo, subaru- imprezza wrx, mazda-mazda speed 3.

Everyone B**tches and moans about the boring corolla, then some glimmer of hope for the Enthusiast who probably remembers the Corolla and Celica All-Trac and then everybody changes gear...... WTF?!?!?! you just can't please everybody can you?

And another thing, the 2GR is probably lighter than the last gen aluminum V6s, which were lighter than the old iron block I4s. Put that into a relatively light chassis, and even with awd you will still see decent economy. Not 40 mpg, but probably better than what the V6 camry sees. Furthermore, I highly doubt that this will be a main stream model, so the dude looking for "appliance transport jr." will not buy this model.

[/rant]
Old 05-25-07, 09:33 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Ok....so Toyota will just take this V6 (which the chassis was already designed to accommodate) and plop it in without any other modifications? I fail to see your reasoning.
No modification will change the fact that you have all that extra weight out in front of the front axle.
Old 05-25-07, 09:36 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
No modification will change the fact that you have all that extra weight out in front of the front axle.
Tell that to Audi
Old 05-25-07, 09:50 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Tell that to Audi
They already know.
Old 05-27-07, 12:06 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_

Isn't a 2.4 litre in a tC big for a small car?

or 2.3 litres in a Mazda3?

Or that 2.5 litre in the Sentra SE-R?

I don't know but those are pretty big engines (and big 4 cylinders too). Hell, the Sentra has a bigger engine than our 02 Camry!

Aren't compact cars "supposed" to have 1.6-1.8 litres? (and remember the Corolla had a 1.3 litre engine in the mid 90s although it wasn't offered here)
Old 05-27-07, 12:13 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ff_
A bit of a narrow viewpoint. A rearward-biased AWD system, as mentioned in the article, can certainly counteract the weight that a V6 would place on the front axle.
Old 05-27-07, 10:17 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bigger engine and heavier weight = less gas mileage.

That's not a good idea for the Corolla...

Quick Reply: Is Toyota planning a V6 Auris/Corolla ?