Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Toyota planning a V6 Auris/Corolla ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 12:07 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Bigger engine and heavier weight = less gas mileage.

That's not a good idea for the Corolla...
Assuming it does happen, it will NOT be the MAINSTREAM Corolla......
Old 05-27-07, 04:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
I guess that's not what I was after. I was thinking small cars, like the Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, Kia, Hyundai, etc. Entry level, economy cars. None of them (that I can think of) uses a big engine in any of their offerings, because of weight, size, and loss of economy.

And when I say big engine, I mean large/heavy. With a softly sprung, light-ish car (well, any car for this matter), the last thing you want is a big, heavy engine sitting out in front of the the front axle. It just compounds bad handling characteristics that are already inherent in FWD designs.
you do realize that in Japan and Europe, hot hatches have almost godly status? Golf R32, 147 V6, Megane F1, etc, etc.

Softly sprung? Why would it be softly sprung?

People buy small cars in Europe and Japan because thats something they can park easily, not because they are cheap, and there are new "Corolla's" with smart entry, leather covered dashes, navi w/ hdd, xenons, power seats, etc, etc, things that were not available in Lexus's 2 years ago.

so yes, it requires thinking out of the box, as not every market is same as US.
Old 05-28-07, 10:37 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its because FF is a Toyota-hater

None of the logic here makes sense; if it were an option; it'd be some hopped-up version... including suspension, tires, and a few other things. It would be at a premium and at a much lesser availability than a standard econobox Corolla. Who CARES what you think about the motor being in the spirit of the car? The same ignorant BILE was spouted by idiotic car critics back in the muscle car era when GM decided to just throw a BIG engine inside the LaMans/GTO. Well guess what? It was a pretty popular car

Complaining about the extra weight over the front? No one has pointed out that an extra 70lb differential in the rear of a AWD car would most certainly help out. The 2GR isn't THAT heavy guys. Its lighter than the last gen aluminum V6; and would still be A LOT lighter than the Camry.

What's up with the emo status that has come to all of you? You LITERALLY complain about EVERYTHING that Toyota does and keep saying its stupid; but they keep on truckin, breakin records and making money. I think they know what they're doing.
Old 05-28-07, 03:13 PM
xioix
Racer

It is not like Toyota to throw in a more powerful engine and not upgrade suspension anyways, so if Toyota makes a V6 powered Corolla we will see it with a suspension to match it.
Old 05-28-07, 04:29 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a completely chrome Auris at the Toyota dealer in Paris. I saw it last week, it was pretty amazing. I have the pics but haven't uploaded them yet.
Old 05-28-07, 09:59 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
Its because FF is a Toyota-hater

None of the logic here makes sense; if it were an option; it'd be some hopped-up version... including suspension, tires, and a few other things. It would be at a premium and at a much lesser availability than a standard econobox Corolla. Who CARES what you think about the motor being in the spirit of the car? The same ignorant BILE was spouted by idiotic car critics back in the muscle car era when GM decided to just throw a BIG engine inside the LaMans/GTO. Well guess what? It was a pretty popular car

Complaining about the extra weight over the front? No one has pointed out that an extra 70lb differential in the rear of a AWD car would most certainly help out. The 2GR isn't THAT heavy guys. Its lighter than the last gen aluminum V6; and would still be A LOT lighter than the Camry.

What's up with the emo status that has come to all of you? You LITERALLY complain about EVERYTHING that Toyota does and keep saying its stupid; but they keep on truckin, breakin records and making money. I think they know what they're doing.
Thank you, my point exactly
Old 05-29-07, 05:34 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Isn't a 2.4 litre in a tC big for a small car?

or 2.3 litres in a Mazda3?

Or that 2.5 litre in the Sentra SE-R?
Those may be large in terms of displacement, but not necessarily weight. The problem with V6's, is that you now have twice as many heads, cam shafts, and you have more pistons, heavier block, more connecting rods, more valves (presumably), more intake, more exhaust, bearings, etc etc, and on and on. It's also not as compact as an inline 4, which results in more engine out in front of that front axle.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Softly sprung? Why would it be softly sprung?
Because it's a Toyota.

None of the logic here makes sense; if it were an option; it'd be some hopped-up version...
You don't know that. When's the last time Toyota came out with a hopped up version of anything?

Complaining about the extra weight over the front? No one has pointed out that an extra 70lb differential in the rear of a AWD car would most certainly help out.
That's not going to help the pendulum effect of having all that engine sitting in front of the front axle. Audi uses AWD, but still suffers from excessive weight in the front end.

Complaining? We're debating the merits of putting a big engine in the front of a compact economy car. If all we did was agree and tout the many wonders of Toyota, it'd be an awfully boring forum to visit.
Old 05-29-07, 12:29 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Those may be large in terms of displacement, but not necessarily weight. The problem with V6's, is that you now have twice as many heads, cam shafts, and you have more pistons, heavier block, more connecting rods, more valves (presumably), more intake, more exhaust, bearings, etc etc, and on and on. It's also not as compact as an inline 4, which results in more engine out in front of that front axle.
Hmm? So a 2.5 litre V6 is heavier than a 2.5 litre I4? Smaller cylinders in the V6 don't counterbalance the extra two cylinders?

twice as many camshafts? I thought they're all DOHCs? so wouldn't it just be extended to cover the 2 extra cylinders?

Compact? Depends how you align it I suppose but in terms of length, I'm sure a V6 is shorter than an I4 because you have 3 cylinders on each bank as opposed to 4 cylinders in a row. In terms of width, yeah the V6 is wider than the I4.
Old 05-29-07, 12:48 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Hmm? So a 2.5 litre V6 is heavier than a 2.5 litre I4?
Design and materials used being equal, yes, the V6 should be noticeably heavier.

Smaller cylinders in the V6 don't counterbalance the extra two cylinders?
Cylinders don't weigh anything. It's just a hole in the engine block. Depending on the bore and stroke used, the pistons and connecting rods might be bigger, or smaller. But having 2 extra pistons and 2 extra connecting rods and 2 extra sets of bearings and extra crankshaft counterweights is going to more than tip the weight scale on the side of the V6 (i.e. heavier).

twice as many camshafts? I thought they're all DOHCs? so wouldn't it just be extended to cover the 2 extra cylinders?
DOHC means 2 cams per cylinder bank. V6 has 2 cylinder banks, so it has twice as many heads and cams.

Compact? Depends how you align it I suppose but in terms of length, I'm sure a V6 is shorter than an I4 because you have 3 cylinders on each bank as opposed to 4 cylinders in a row. In terms of width, yeah the V6 is wider than the I4.
Basic design being similar, the V6 should be shorter, correct. But much, much wider. This is bad in a FWD car because now you have even more engine hanging out in front of the front axle, and it's hanging further forward too. The pendulum effect is made worse, and this is bad for handling. "hello, understeer!"
Old 05-29-07, 01:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Why all the FWD bashing when the article quotes that the V6 version will come standard with AWD?
Old 05-29-07, 01:17 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Why all the FWD bashing when the article quotes that the V6 version will come standard with AWD?
AWD is still going to be a FWD layout.
Old 05-29-07, 02:15 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ff_
Who knows if Toyota won't pull an Audi, who has no problem turning a FWD A4 into a rear-biased beast aka the RS4?
Old 05-29-07, 07:32 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I don't think Toyota would ever make a V6 Corolla (at least for production). I think the main thing that would kill this would be price. It would probably cost too much and at that price point, most people would rather just have a Camry. Heck, in a way Toyota already tried this by releasing the XRS model with the VVTi Celica motor and that didn't even sell.

If anything, I say they bring the Corona stateside.
Old 05-29-07, 10:39 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Design and materials used being equal, yes, the V6 should be noticeably heavier.

Cylinders don't weigh anything. It's just a hole in the engine block. Depending on the bore and stroke used, the pistons and connecting rods might be bigger, or smaller. But having 2 extra pistons and 2 extra connecting rods and 2 extra sets of bearings and extra crankshaft counterweights is going to more than tip the weight scale on the side of the V6 (i.e. heavier).

DOHC means 2 cams per cylinder bank. V6 has 2 cylinder banks, so it has twice as many heads and cams.

Basic design being similar, the V6 should be shorter, correct. But much, much wider. This is bad in a FWD car because now you have even more engine hanging out in front of the front axle, and it's hanging further forward too. The pendulum effect is made worse, and this is bad for handling. "hello, understeer!"
I see...

But that's assuming the engine is ahead of the axle. Most have it over the axle or even behind it. Granted, it's a Corolla and given the way Toyota has designed their compacts, it probably will be ahead of the front axle.
Old 05-29-07, 10:41 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
Like the RS4, Evo etc..........

Whatever. Keep wishing that this doesnt come out, and if it does, keep wishing that they just stuff the big engine in there and do nothing else.

Quick Reply: Is Toyota planning a V6 Auris/Corolla ?