Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forget the Prius: MINI Cooper D to get 72.4 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 09:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Forget the Prius: MINI Cooper D to get 72.4 mpg

Forget the Prius: MINI Cooper D to get 72.4 mpg
Post a commentPosted on: May 25th, 2007

Who said Toyota is the only company that has fuel efficiency figured out. BMW will be giving their MINI models technological revisions later this year that will result in increased performance while delivering amazing fuel efficiency; both without the use of hybrid technology.

When production of the new lineup begins in August 2007, all MINI model variants will be supplied with high-tech engine tweaks as standard, providing exceptional economy and minimal emissions without compromising performance. To achieve this BMW will use technologies such as Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start-Stop Function and Switch Point Display. All this will come at no extra cost to future MINI customers.

The MINI Cooper D, which currently has a fuel consumption range of 64.2 mpg, will get an amazing 72.4mpg, with CO2 emissions of just 104 g/km.

Can we please have one in the US too ?
via egmcartech

Press Release:

72.4 mpg. 104 g/km C02. No batteries required.

MINI hatch models are to receive technological revisions later this year, resulting in jaw-dropping performance and efficiency figures. Already BMW Group’s cleanest ever car, the MINI Cooper D will be capable of returning an astonishing 72.4mpg, with CO2 emissions of just 104 g/km.

When production of the revised models begins in August 2007, there will be no requirement for alternative fuel sources or hybrid technology to achieve these stunning stats. All model variants will instead be supplied as standard with high-tech engine tweaks, providing exceptional economy and minimal emissions without compromising the MINI driving experience.

Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start-Stop Function and Switch Point Display complete a package that will come at no extra cost to future MINI customers.

Brake Energy Regeneration works by using an Intelligent Alternator Control (IAC) and an Absorbent Glass Mat battery to recycle previously lost energy, which saves fuel. The IAC reduces drag on the engine by only engaging when required to charge the battery, whereas a traditional alternator is always pulling power from the engine. Additionally, the energy generated by the engine on over-run (under braking or descending a hill) was previously wasted. Now this lost energy is utilised by the IAC to charge the battery.

The Auto Start-Stop Function, available with manual transmission cars, automatically switches the engine off when the vehicle is stationary and the driver puts the car into neutral. To restart the driver only need engage the clutch again before pulling away in the normal manner. The system may be de-activated at the touch of a button when not required.

Switch Point Display aids drivers of manual transmission MINIs in selecting the most economical gear in which to drive. The engine management system analyses speed, road situation and accelerator pedal position and based on this data calculates optimum gearing. The ideal gear is then displayed by number in the cockpit display.

Even without these technology advancements in place, MINI leads the new car market for year-on-year improvements in clean engine manufacturing. C02 output per car has been reduced in the last year by an impressive 14 per cent. Putting that into perspective, the industry average was recorded at a lowly 0.3 per cent.

To put the icing on the cake for customers, MINI Cooper D owners will continue to benefit from the car falling into VED tax band B. So savings are not only made in carbon emissions, but at the fuel pumps and the Post Office when replacing an annual road fund licence too. Little wonder then that MINI UK is again celebrating a month of record car sales !
Old 05-25-07, 10:23 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta

...No batteries required.

Brake Energy Regeneration works by <snip> Absorbent Glass Mat battery to recycle previously lost energy....

Old 05-26-07, 01:42 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

They've introduced these features to the BMW 118d now and it gets over 60mpg. In fact if my IS250 auto had these features would we need hybrids?
Old 05-26-07, 04:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, the auto start/stop system on a regular engine... good luck in NYC traffics. Not even talking about killing the starter. Good thing it has an option to shut this feature off.

And the switch point delay is a gimmick, good enough driver should know better which gear to drive in. Prius has an auto transmission that does that selects optimum gear automatically.

And their brake energy regeneration system is neat, but nowhere near as efficient as Toyota's hybrid system.

The bottom line, yeah, that Mini is fuel efficient, but it's efficient not because of the technologies, but because its a diesel, and because its very small. The Prius in comparison is much bigger and runs on regular gasoline, and the new Prius will probably return even better fuel economy.
Old 05-26-07, 06:30 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

One thing whats the CO2 from the Prius anyways.

Thats another thing manufactures should put out more often when you by a car is the CO2 emissions.

One thing I just found the Prius is 92g/km. Still way less than the new Cooper D.
Old 05-26-07, 07:13 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
Thats another thing manufactures should put out more often when you by a car is the CO2 emissions.

One thing I just found the Prius is 92g/km. Still way less than the new Cooper D.
I think CO2 emissions from cars in the US is a non-issue. If people were so worried about tailpipe emissions, let them enforce the black-smoke bleching dump trucks and semi-tractor trailers first. They're the ones causing the pollution.

I'm not big on the hybrid craze. I'd rather see better development of existing petrol and diesel engines to squeeze more power and efficiency out of them.

Just note: The UK has a slightly different MPG system than the US. Their numbers translate to something slightly lower in our system (for some reason).
Old 05-26-07, 07:38 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there are two types of Hybrid car buyers. The truely green car buyer that is contious of the envronmental impact, and the ones that just want great fuel economy. This mini will appeal to those that just want great fual economy and don't really care about what is coming out of the tail pipe just as long as it meets current laws.
Old 05-26-07, 09:06 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
I think CO2 emissions from cars in the US is a non-issue. If people were so worried about tailpipe emissions, let them enforce the black-smoke bleching dump trucks and semi-tractor trailers first. They're the ones causing the pollution.

I'm not big on the hybrid craze. I'd rather see better development of existing petrol and diesel engines to squeeze more power and efficiency out of them.

Just note: The UK has a slightly different MPG system than the US. Their numbers translate to something slightly lower in our system (for some reason).
It's not a different system it's just a US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon.
Old 05-26-07, 10:46 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I would love too see that happen.
Old 05-26-07, 11:18 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I think there are two types of Hybrid car buyers. The truely green car buyer that is contious of the envronmental impact, and the ones that just want great fuel economy. This mini will appeal to those that just want great fual economy and don't really care about what is coming out of the tail pipe just as long as it meets current laws.
Yup, and by the UK standards, the next-gen prius was reportedly getting over 100mpg
Old 05-26-07, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
It's not a different system it's just a US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon.
Yup. UK (Imperial) gallon is 20% bigger than a U.S. gallon.

So 72.4mp(Imperial)g = 58mpg (U.S.)
Old 05-26-07, 11:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX

what he said. Wouldn't this be a MINI hybrid then?
Old 05-26-07, 11:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
One thing whats the CO2 from the Prius anyways.

not sure where you got the number but the current Prius puts out 105g/km
Old 05-27-07, 12:00 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Same here. Then I'd apply the new efficient engines to hybrid technology.

I don't know about you but I'm sure a non-hybrid cannot glide with the engine off for a couple of kms with the engine off. You surely can't tell me that travelling that far with the engine off is not being fuel efficient.

In case you're wondering, I'm not making this up. There is a stretch of road on my commute back home from school that lets me travel that far (if I catch the traffic lights correctly and traffic is anything but heavy)
Old 05-27-07, 12:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
Yup, and by the UK standards, the next-gen prius was reportedly getting over 100mpg
Exactly. I don't see this as significant. Apples to apples, comparing the estimated economy for the next-gen Prius and this Mini D based on UK standards, the Prius still wins in economy.

Quick Reply: Forget the Prius: MINI Cooper D to get 72.4 mpg