Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Many American college students think Lexus is an American car company . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 06:10 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
not only does this statement seem unprofessional and harsh for a poll, it shows bias towards the editor.
I have to disagree. Most people think the word "ignorant" is much more negative than its true meaning. Look it up--there's little wrong with being ignorant, as it merely means one hasn't been exposed to knowledge. In this case, I think the word is well-used.

As for what's an American car company, a Japanese car company, etc., I look to one thing--where is the company incorporated? Design studios and manufacturing plants aside, the answer to that one question will tell you where the money flows and where the control lies.
Old 05-27-07, 06:56 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Lexus name was U.S derived.. Correct me if I am wrong
Old 05-27-07, 10:15 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know Toyota owns Lexus but a Lexus is a Toyota in Japan and only a Lexus here in the U.S. so I cleary understand why people thought it was an U.S. company.
Old 05-27-07, 10:25 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Some people aren't really into cars
Most people are not into cars to that degree.
Old 05-27-07, 10:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
I know Toyota owns Lexus but a Lexus is a Toyota in Japan and only a Lexus here in the U.S. so I cleary understand why people thought it was an U.S. company.
That changed a little while back. Now Lexus in Japan as well.
Old 05-27-07, 10:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
Not anymore since 2005 when the Lexus brand was made official in Japan, but many might not know that . . . & do most people know that the LS,SC,GS etc,. were know as Toyota Celsior, Soarer, Aristo etc. in Japan in the first place ??
Old 05-28-07, 02:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

The most misidentified brands : CLICK HERE
Old 05-28-07, 06:57 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
and Hyundai a Japanese manufacturer
I can kind of see that...I mean, Japan and Korea are pretty close geographically. And if you look at quality nowadays I think we can all agree that Hyundai has kind of been promoted up from being a Korean car company.
Old 05-28-07, 11:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Lexus was originally an American idea. It was born here in Southern California...specifically upper affluent South County (Orange County).
Old 05-29-07, 08:30 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all live in a world of multinational corporations. It will only get more confusing. GM owns Saab, Ford owns LR, and (used to own) Aston. Every manufacturer has manu plants all over the world (US, China, etc). And the Mazda 626 was officially labeled a domestic car back when because of % of domestic manfactured content. Wonder how many cars can be labeled that now?
Old 05-29-07, 02:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by meowCat
Yea, same goes for the Acura. Japan recently "imported" the Acura TL cars from America and they were like woaahhhhhh nice car. These are much better than their Honda Accords! I heard that some Japanese are crazy about getting the TL's... In the past I thought the Acura TL and any other Acura models came from Japan... I was wrong.
The CL was the first American made and designed Acura back in 1997. THe TL then moved from being made in Japan to America in 1999. Acura decided to build their cars here since Acura is an American brand and it lowers the costs which are passed to consumers.
The current TL was made entirely for the American market, by Americans in Cali and built in Ohio.

Old 05-29-07, 02:39 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While I do agree that there may have been a good degree of bias in the original survey (I haven't looked at it thoroughly), I also think that the conclusion is indicative of how poorly Americans in general are familiar with many things "foreign." And I don't blame them:

- You can go to a Chinese buffet and have "sushi" (although it's not authentic Japanese, I must say).
- I'm Japanese. People (and all sorts of people at that) always ask me: "Are you (Chinese/Korean/Filippino/other)?"
- Look at the results for the National Geographic map quiz, on their site. See how poorly Americans fare....
Old 05-29-07, 06:27 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My god-Sister from Hong Kong, thought Lexus was European...
Old 05-29-07, 09:14 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

College students are like most Americans; DUMB AS DIRT. Americans are not clued into life other than in very narrow ways so they can stumble through life in the least difficult way. I work with supposedly well educated people, but if I engage them in any kind of current events they just aren't plugged in. They are just plain ignorant. If it doesn't affect them directly they just don't care, which is why voter turnout is so low. It's a real shame.
Old 05-29-07, 10:34 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
I have to disagree. Most people think the word "ignorant" is much more negative than its true meaning. Look it up--there's little wrong with being ignorant, as it merely means one hasn't been exposed to knowledge. In this case, I think the word is well-used.

As for what's an American car company, a Japanese car company, etc., I look to one thing--where is the company incorporated? Design studios and manufacturing plants aside, the answer to that one question will tell you where the money flows and where the control lies.
I totally agree with you Iceman. Toyota is headquartered and incorporated in Japan which makes Lexus and Scion (a division of Toyota not a subsidiary) a Japanese company. I'm sure Toyota has many subsidiaries which are separate companies which are 100% wholly owned by the parent company which is Toyota.

Quick Reply: Many American college students think Lexus is an American car company . . .