Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best $10,000 car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 01:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

A friend of mine just sold his 01 IS300 White on black for $10.5k

But hardly would you find a deal like that anymore, let alone a manual.

Why not just get a decent car and stick with it for awhile? If i had the chance to go back, I wouldn't have bought my GS400. Last thing you need is repair/maintenance. It's easier to buy a car, but much harder to keep up with its demand.
Old 05-30-07, 04:04 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drove an is300 today.. the one i drove looked to be beaten, but i got the basic gist of the car. the one i looked at had a carbon fiber kit that didnt really line up great, you know the type. it had an injen intake, thats it for performance. the only reason i drove it is because it was the closest on autotrader, right down the street. I liked it though. it'd get better gas mileage than my sc400. It has 4 doors, which when you try putting a system in a 2 door, you realize that doesnt work so well. i liked it though. it was auto but the e shift was pretty nice, it wouldnt go all the way to first though.. i liked it... id like to stick with lexus, and i know the 2jz pretty well. I think this might be a good choice for me, but i'd get a stock one that was driven responsibly. plus, i dont really care if its got 150k on it because theirs a crap load of sc300's with this kind of mileage people are still modding.. plus if the motor goes i could just stick a gte in their. that would be insanely fast.
Old 05-30-07, 04:38 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
For the second time in this thread: they dont depreciate that quickly. Even E36s are commanding lower to mid 10s. If you find an E46 for 10 g's that means its in poor condition and has a lot of mileage or no options at all.
For the second time in this thread. My co-worker just picked up a '00 E46 323ci 5-spd loaded with maintence records for $11,100. I know its not 10k but its alot closer then you make it sound. Also, something some people don't know is that the E46 3 series started in '99.
Old 05-30-07, 04:39 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vince1128
i drove an is300 today.. the one i drove looked to be beaten, but i got the basic gist of the car. the one i looked at had a carbon fiber kit that didnt really line up great, you know the type. it had an injen intake, thats it for performance. the only reason i drove it is because it was the closest on autotrader, right down the street. I liked it though. it'd get better gas mileage than my sc400. It has 4 doors, which when you try putting a system in a 2 door, you realize that doesnt work so well. i liked it though. it was auto but the e shift was pretty nice, it wouldnt go all the way to first though.. i liked it... id like to stick with lexus, and i know the 2jz pretty well. I think this might be a good choice for me, but i'd get a stock one that was driven responsibly. plus, i dont really care if its got 150k on it because theirs a crap load of sc300's with this kind of mileage people are still modding.. plus if the motor goes i could just stick a gte in their. that would be insanely fast.
Just stick a GTE in there? Your limit on an entire car is around 10k and you think a GTE is a simple/cheap swap?
Old 05-30-07, 04:43 PM
my_shaldan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a street legal R32 skyline. period!
Old 05-30-07, 04:57 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by my_shaldan
get a street legal R32 skyline. period!
For $10k? Where? You tell me where I can find one for that price and that is legal to drive and register on the streets and i'll have one this summer.
Old 05-30-07, 05:18 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

A Turbo MKII MR2, with about 3k to spare.
Old 05-30-07, 05:18 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
For $10k? Where? You tell me where I can find one for that price and that is legal to drive and register on the streets and i'll have one this summer.
He was kidding or he skipped the part of the Thread title that read $10,000 CAR!

Last edited by JAC JZS; 05-30-07 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-30-07, 05:19 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

I put in a vote for a late model Camaro/Firebird or a 2nd gen MR2. Any of the above can be had in good condition and almost any trim you want for a decent price. The MR2 would probably be a bit more reliable, but when things do go wrong on the Camaro/Firebird, they're usually cheaper to fix, and easier to find someone who can fix it, plus they're one of the more practical coupes, and if you get a stick, even the V-8 gets decent gas mileage. I get 18 city & 30 highway with my LS1 6-speed. Of course, insurance could be tough with some of these though. If you want a beater SC400, you can have mine for $3000. It's rough looking at this point(*hangs head in shame*), but it still drives well.
Old 05-30-07, 05:26 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Vince you still haven't find no car yet. You thought about a 2001 acura cl 3.2
Old 05-30-07, 05:57 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Acura extended the warranty on the auto transmission to 7 yrs./ 100k miles b/ c sometimes the transmission failed! An '01 will be out of warranty next year and vince would potentially be stuck buying a brand new trans. You can read reviews from owners about the problems on msnauto.com http://autos.msn.com/research/userre...ated#reviewnav

Transmission & Driveline An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Automatic Transmission. The cost to replace the Automatic Transmission with a remanufactured unit is estimated at $3000 for parts and $448.50 for labor. Acura has extended the warranty on the automatic transmission and torque converter to 7 years or 100,000 miles. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Theres some other problems as well...

Accessories An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS) Sensor or Module that is part of the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). Problems with either component will cause the SRS light to illuminate. Acura has released a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB #02-015, dated 8/15/2002) that discusses how to diagnose and repair problems related to this system. Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or the Acura Zone Office. It is suggested that you request consideration, and get a decision, before starting any repair work to the SRS. The cost to replace the SRS Module is estimated at $905.00 for parts and $97.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
Old 05-30-07, 06:17 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the tranny was bad but I had mine replaced at 70k because it was free 110k later problem free knock on wood.
Old 05-30-07, 06:20 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

I know the tranny was bad but I had mine replaced at 70k because it was free 110k later problem free knock on wood.
Old 05-30-07, 06:38 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

no, but ill look into it... btw, are you talking about your sons exact car?, trying to sell it?
Old 05-30-07, 06:50 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

I liked the '03 Acura CL type S with the 6-speed. That was a sweet ride, even if the handling wasn't terrific. But I'm no fan of automatics especially in Hondas.

Quick Reply: Best $10,000 car?