Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Worst Cities for Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 06:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Top 10 Worst Cities for Speeding

1. Detroit, Mich. suburbs
2. Colorado Springs, Colo.
3. Houston, Texas
4. Orlando, Fla.
5. Nashville, Tenn.
6. Ann Arbor, Mich.
7. Albuquerque, N.M.
8. Washington, D.C.
9. Denver, Colo.
10. Virginia Beach, Va.

Top 10 Worst Cities for Speeding

The website Speed Trap Exchange lists the 10 U.S. cities with the most speed traps, based on user postings.

by Erica Francis

ForbesAutos.comPublished on 05/24/2007

Detroit is the worst place to speed in the country, according to the Speed Trap Exchange, a website where users can post the whereabouts of speed traps all over the country.

In anticipation of holiday travel, the site put out a list of the top 10 places in the U.S. with the most speed traps, based on user postings. “There are more than 10,000 postings total on the site, 2,000 of which are from Texas,” said Aaron Quinn, the site’s communication director. “Detroit’s suburbs have more than 100 postings.”

Quinn said that the purpose of the Speed Trap Exchange is to draw attention to areas where speed limits are arbitrarily low and to let people know about variations in enforcement of speed limits between different regions. “In some areas, everyone drives 10 mph over the speed limit and it is accepted by the law enforcement agencies,” he said. “And in some areas they pull you over if you go over the limit by 1 mph.”

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, speeding is the second highest cause of fatal car accidents in the U.S. and accounted for 13,189, or 30.4 percent, of the 43,443 traffic-related deaths in 2005. Only drunk driving kills more people on the road, taking 16,885 lives in 2005, according to the most recent NHTSA data. Together, drunk driving and speeding account for nearly 70 percent of the total number of fatal crashes in 2005.

The Speed Trap Exchange (www.speedtrap.org) launched in 2000 as a spin-off of the National Motorist Association (www.motorists.org).
Old 05-28-07, 07:22 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that VA Beach is on the list. Esp. on holiday weekends, DO NOT SPEED ON I-264 to the beachfront. Every half a mile, you'll see someone pulled over!
Old 05-28-07, 07:27 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

charlotte not bad at all.. rarely see someone pulled over, ive never been, and i drive fast
Old 05-28-07, 07:30 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Let's not even talk about Virgina. You can can get hit with a reckless driving charge for doing 55 in a 45, which is treated the same as a DUI. When the "Officer" pulled me over with claims of doing 89 mph, I couldn't believe he was able to keep a straight face while telling me this. I just realize that I made the mistake of leaving my NY plates on my car while driving a Lexus in the South. I'm just thankful my girlfriend was in the car with me at the time.

Did I mention while in court he told the judge I never brought my speed below 70 while he followed me? That was the best part. As soon as he came out from his little pit on the bridge I knew I was in trouble after running my plates while following me for nearly 5 minutes he decided to pull throw his lights on to stop me. Ofcourse I was addressed as boy, but that was the least of my concerns that night. Gotta love it.

Last edited by LexLaw; 05-28-07 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-28-07, 08:25 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was warned about speeding in Virginia when I drove to VA beach and when I drove through there when I went to South Carolina two years ago. I was seeing the troopers left and right while driving on I-95.
Old 05-28-07, 09:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Yeah the survey was of cities but as far as STATE, VA and MD probably take the cake, with MA right up there too.
Old 05-28-07, 09:32 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

yep i live about an hour from detriot its pretty bad theres cops hidding
Old 05-29-07, 12:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

10 Worst Cities?............Just 10 more reasons to slow down.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, speeding is the second highest cause of fatal car accidents in the U.S. and accounted for 13,189, or 30.4 percent, of the 43,443 traffic-related deaths in 2005. Only drunk driving kills more people on the road, taking 16,885 lives in 2005, according to the most recent NHTSA data. Together, drunk driving and speeding account for nearly 70 percent of the total number of fatal crashes in 2005.
Nothing new here. Alcohol and speed have always been the top two killers in traffic deaths, particularly when the two are combined. It was that way when I first started driving 40 years ago....and still is.

Yeah the survey was of cities but as far as STATE, VA and MD probably take the cake, with MA right up there too.
VA and DC, with their radar-detector bans, are two of the most restrictive states in general policy, but when it comes to actual speed enforcement, Ohio ranks as one of the strictest, if not THE strictest state in the country. I have seen several different sources on this, and it certainly is the strictest place I have ever seen, especially on I-80 and the Ohio Turnpike. In fact, Car and Driver did a long article some years back on a township just outside of Columbus whose family-owned municipal government ran one of the most corrupt speed-traps in the country. It was one of those rare cases where the speed-trap system actually WAS corrupt ( Several of them eventually went to prison).

(And if the strict speed enforcement in Ohio doesn't make you slow down, the state's torn-up, pothole-strewn, frost-heaved stretches of pavement they CALL roads WILL.......particularly in the state's Snow Belt near Lake Erie).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-07 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 12:48 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Let's not even talk about Virgina. You can can get hit with a reckless driving charge for doing 55 in a 45, which is treated the same as a DUI. When the "Officer" pulled me over with claims of doing 89 mph, I couldn't believe he was able to keep a straight face while telling me this. I just realize that I made the mistake of leaving my NY plates on my car while driving a Lexus in the South. I'm just thankful my girlfriend was in the car with me at the time.

Did I mention while in court he told the judge I never brought my speed below 70 while he followed me? That was the best part. As soon as he came out from his little pit on the bridge I knew I was in trouble after running my plates while following me for nearly 5 minutes he decided to pull throw his lights on to stop me. Ofcourse I was addressed as boy, but that was the least of my concerns that night. Gotta love it.
I don't get it
Old 05-29-07, 12:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Let's not even talk about Virgina. You can can get hit with a reckless driving charge for doing 55 in a 45, which is treated the same as a DUI.
The general law in VA, like in many other states, is 20 over the posted limit for a reckless driving charge.
Old 05-29-07, 04:21 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

This is a logical and statistical fallacy in so many ways its not even funny. First and most simply, the percentage of speeding drivers who have crashed is only relavent by comparison to the total percentage of drivers who speed at any given time. If 1% of drivers speed, but speeding is involved in 30% of accidents, then (absent other mitigating factors, which there are PLENTY of. I'll get to that later) we can say that, in fact, there is a POSITIVE correlation between speeding and traffic fatalities. If 30% of drivers speed, then there is NO correlation. If more than 30% of drivers speed, there is a NEGATIVE correlation--meaning that a speeding driver is LESS likely to die in a collision than a non-speeding driver. I don't have statistics for the entire country, but 50% of drivers in Texas, 41% of drivers in California, and 63% of Washington drivers exceed the posted limit on a regular basis. So the claims are false on their face.

Second, these statistics include two VERY different speed-related charges. There's what we all identify as speeding--"driving in excess of the posted limit" and then there's the FAR more dangerous and FAR more likely to contribute to an accident "driving too fast for conditions". I'm sure most people have driven on a 65mph-limit Interstate at a time when going half that is unsafe. But on that same road in clear conditions, 80mph may be safe.

Third, the use of the word "cause" here is misleading. Most accident reports allow for five or more contributing factors, and the average report contains 3. When the report contains more than one factor, they all get blamed (and the percentage of accidents "caused" by all line items combined GREATLY exceeds 100%). I can't find the link at the moment, but fatal accidents in which speed (both kinds as identified above) is the sole reported factor is about 2%.

Is the cause of the accident driver A going 45 in a 40 or Driver B, driving drunk and running the red light? They all get blamed equally--this is a "three-factor" accident. And herein lies another problem. If a driver who is exceeding the speed limit but otherwise driving in a completely safe manner is sideswiped or T-boned by a driver who is NOT speeding, speed is listed as a contributing factor because one of the drivers was speeding. But speed had nothing to do with the accident, the other driver's recklessness did. But for the purpose of these statistics, this is considered a "speed-related" accident.

Finally, there is anecdotal evidence. I've driven about 400k miles, probably 350k of those in excess of the posted limit. And I have been involved in numerous accidents, all of them at low speed, over half where I was not moving at all (I wasn't even in the car for one!). The only one where I WAS speeding, I hadn't been less than a second before the collision. I was accelerating to avoid the accident (made it from 24-28mph in a 25 zone before he hit me). Likewise, nearly all of my near misses (including one this weekend) have been at low speeds, well under the posted limit. The experiences of my friends, family and coworkers mirror my own.
Old 05-29-07, 04:53 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

One thing can't believe like Lake Placid, NY not on the list every time I go passed there always get hit, its honestly annoying. **** here in Canada you can go 20 km/h over the speed limit if your on the highway. Its annoying can't do it in the States.

Oh yah forgot about Hilo, Hawaii. Part of the highway turns into a city street after so your doing like 50 mph and out of no where you have to do like 40 mph lol
Old 05-29-07, 05:00 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not surprised to see VA Beach on there that entire I64 corridor is a speed trap. I usually take 301S to 17E it's a little quicker plus the last time I only saw one cop. I'm actually a little surprised to see DC on there. With all the speed cameras and bad roads there I barely go past speed limit when I go there. mmarshall I'm definately with you on OH I remember going through there with my dad a few years back and getting stopped for 64 in a 55.
Old 05-29-07, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
This is a logical and statistical fallacy in so many ways its not even funny.
Some people have tried to make this argument but you cannot change or overrule the laws of physics. All other things equal, the faster you go, the more kinetic and potential impact energy your vehicle will have, the greater the impact force will be in a crash, and the greater the potential for vehicle damage and occupant injury or death.

Another rule of physics, of course, is that all other things equal, a larger, heavier vehicle in a crash will have more energy and tend to displace the smaller, lighter vehicle. This is why small, light cars are generally not considered as safe in impacts with much larger vehicles. One of the reasons so many seniors tend to drive large, heavy cars is that their defensive-driving instructors note this and urge them to buy cars like the Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis, Town Cars, and Buicks and Cadillacs with plenty of metal on them.
Old 05-29-07, 08:12 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can vouch for Ohio. I drive there about twice a year to pick up my sister from college. I actually just returned. I always drive the limit there. On one stretch of the turnpike I was doing just shy of the limit, around 63mph. A state tropper gets behind me and follows me for a really long time constantly shooting me with his instant on radar gun. I can tell cause my V1 keeps going off signaling its coming from behind me. I just had to laugh the whole time. I knew where the limit drops to 55 and so I would immediately slow down and sure enough, right at the changeover, my V1 goes off. Its one thing to enforce the limit, its another to act like an *** hole. He probably saw the NY plates. I wish he could have passed me by so I could wave hello to him. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of that state.

For whatever reason, it seems PA has gotten a bit easier on the drivers lately. I was doing a good 80mph at times and I had guys flying by me (the old minivan can only go so fast before breaching hull integrity )People speed through PA like bats out of hell. I always recalled them pretty strict about speeding in the past...

Last edited by T0ked; 05-29-07 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Worst Cities for Speeding