Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Isn't Acura or Infiniti offering a convertible in today's market??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 06:58 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why Isn't Acura or Infiniti offering a convertible in today's market??

Alright this has been on my mind for a while now. Even before purchasing my SC. Why is it that Acura or Infiniti offer a convertible? I realize Lexus didn't really bring a drop top to the market until 2001. But really it's been a solid seven 5 plus years and their Japanese competitors still do not offer a convertibe. I'm not looking for a folding hardtop, though we all see that slowly becoming the norm as Pontiac and VW are both offering one. I know Acura had their famed NSX years ago but that was not really a mass produced car so to speak. Infiniti in my opinion has no excuse as they have a great platform to build off of with their great G35. Plus they are a tier above Acura in terms of prestige from the Big 3 Japanese Lux manufacturers. Look if this keeps up Hyundai will have a convertible before these Acura and Infiniti step to the plate. Summer is here and this is whats on my mind.......that and World Peace.
Old 05-28-07, 07:12 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

imo having a convertible doesnt make a brand any better vs another

having said that (and reposting what i said in another thread), NNA told infiniti dealers (well, GMs really) to expect a g35 based hardtop convert.... but that was before the g37 delay... so who knows what their plans are
Old 05-28-07, 07:29 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

I think Infiniti is still trying to solidify their basic lineup before doing things like convertibles, etc. They currently do not have a flagship sedan. From what I have heard, it's due out soon, but who really knows. I think once they get a Q replacement, upgrade all of their engines, etc, they can focus more on things like convertibles, hybrids, etc.

As far as Acura is concerned, I have no opinion on them as I do not feel they are a true luxury brand.
Old 05-28-07, 07:42 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
I think Infiniti is still trying to solidify their basic lineup before doing things like convertibles, etc. They currently do not have a flagship sedan. From what I have heard, it's due out soon, but who really knows. I think once they get a Q replacement, upgrade all of their engines, etc, they can focus more on things like convertibles, hybrids, etc.

As far as Acura is concerned, I have no opinion on them as I do not feel they are a true luxury brand.
Great point regarding Infiniti's flagship issues regarding the Q. I totally agree as that has been a topic of concern here in Car Chat. I just feel they gotta get in the game. A convertible does not have to be a halo car or super exotic. Practically everyone loves them and seem to sell quite well especially in certain markets.
Old 05-28-07, 08:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Convertibles have the worst resale value because of limited demand.

Some automakers find that it isn't profitable to engineer a convertible if it will sell in small numbers, unless if it's a popular sports car such as a Corvette or Porsche...
Old 05-28-07, 08:36 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Convertibles have the worst resale value because of limited demand.

Some automakers find that it isn't profitable to engineer a convertible if it will sell in small numbers, unless if it's a popular sports car such as a Corvette or Porsche...
I've always thought just the opposite. Even when I was shopping for a CLK cab, I noticed they held their value better than their coupe counterparts. same across the board with other manufacturers i.e. Mustangs, Beetles or 3 series.
Old 05-28-07, 09:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think a relevant point is that convertibles just don't sell in big numbers. From my perspective, both Acura and Infiniti are largely in the same position, where their sales are primarily coming from the entry-luxury market with V6 sedans (TL, G35). Then there are SUVs and other vehicles.

With Infiniti they have the G37 coupe; Acura abandoned the RSX, which was in some ways a TSX coupe, and also abandoned the CL and previous Legend coupe. Infiniti launched with a softtop M30 convertible, but that was a very poor seller and was abandoned.

In the end both are focusing on different areas. Acura's SUV share is large due to the success of the MDX. Infiniti has its M35/45 vehicles, which until a possible larger vehicle comes around is their flagship. Acura needs to do something to revitalize RL sales, but it has a strong duo with the TL/TSX.

If Nissan can do an Altima convertible, maybe Infiniti can do a convertible as well. I am not expecting a convertible from Acura for the foreseeable future; their lineup has been redone save the needed redoing of the RL IMO.
Old 05-29-07, 12:46 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny. I see this thread, then two links below, I see "Hardtop Infiniti G37 Convertible in the works!!?? "

haha
Old 05-29-07, 01:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Convertibles, obviously, are fun in nice weather, but, obviously, are good for little else. They need a heavy-duty unibody structure or additional bracing in the underside of the frame with crossmembers to counteract the natural loss of torsional and longitudinal strength, are easy to break into with a knife if they don't have a folding metal roof, take up a lot of rear seat room unless they are purpose-built 2-seaters, lack roll-over protection for the occupants (like the Solstice and Sky) unless they have built-in roll-protection devices...(not all convertibles do), have sloppier handling and steering response because of greater weight and body flex.....and, last, cost more to buy and insure.

Of all of the convertibles in the American market, Mazda, with its Miata, has perhaps come closest to getting the formula right....it has superlative handling in spite of the lack of a fixed roof (a bolt-on roof is available, and recently, power-folding-top versions were offered). Porsche Targas, of course, also have great handling, but at the cost of a much heavier and more complex structure than the Miata's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-07 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 04:34 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

I've wondered for a long time why a G convertible didn't closely follow the release of the coupe. We KNOW that platform is designed to be a drop-top, because the 350z convertible has been available almost from the beginning.

The market for convertibles is, of course, smaller than the market for non-convertibles, but the customers are FIERCELY loyal. My wife LOVES her convertibles, and until this year has never been without one (she's 31). The ONLY reason she was willing to trade her Sebring for the RX is because we have a baby on the way and we needed something that made it easier for us to put him in the infant seat. Just a month before we bought the RX, we were in negotiations for a Solara Convertible. In a few years when he's old enough to get into a booster seat mostly unassisted, we'll be back shopping convertibles again, with the Solara and 3-series (I have a 4-door already that we love) being the top contenders. If Infiniti released a G convertible, it'd go on the shopping list. Likewise if Lexus were to badge-engineer the Solara.
Old 05-29-07, 10:04 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
I've wondered for a long time why a G convertible didn't closely follow the release of the coupe. We KNOW that platform is designed to be a drop-top, because the 350z convertible has been available almost from the beginning.
You and me both. Not that Infiniti isn't selling a ton of G35's without a convertible model. It only seems natural.
Old 05-29-07, 10:45 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Convertibles, obviously, are fun in nice weather, but, obviously, are good for little else. They need a heavy-duty unibody structure or additional bracing in the underside of the frame with crossmembers to counteract the natural loss of torsional and longitudinal strength, are easy to break into with a knife if they don't have a folding metal roof, take up a lot of rear seat room unless they are purpose-built 2-seaters, lack roll-over protection for the occupants (like the Solstice and Sky) unless they have built-in roll-protection devices...(not all convertibles do), have sloppier handling and steering response because of greater weight and body flex.....and, last, cost more to buy and insure.

Of all of the convertibles in the American market, Mazda, with its Miata, has perhaps come closest to getting the formula right....it has superlative handling in spite of the lack of a fixed roof (a bolt-on roof is available, and recently, power-folding-top versions were offered). Porsche Targas, of course, also have great handling, but at the cost of a much heavier and more complex structure than the Miata's.
Don't forget about the porsche boxster, which would outdo the miata in pretty much all performance categories.
Old 05-29-07, 12:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one I'm glad they don't. I never was a fan of convertibles anyway. Where I live it is too hot to drop the top. You need to use the AC all the time Plus all the wind and noise
Old 05-29-07, 02:26 PM
LexFather

They are niche brands, they won't be in every segment.

Old 05-29-07, 02:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I personally like convertibles, but only if the weather is right and I have a lady beside me. Can't really drive around with a man next to you while the top is down.

Quick Reply: Why Isn't Acura or Infiniti offering a convertible in today's market??