Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does owning a Lexus bring.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 03:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Strangely there's actually very few in the Memphis area.
Yeah, Memphis...... just blocks and blocks of gang shootings. I'd opt for the bulletproof glass option "Little Los Angeles"

Nothing but gun stores and BBQ eateries for miles
Old 05-30-07, 03:43 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Yeah, Memphis...... just blocks and blocks of gang shootings. I'd opt for the bulletproof glass option "Little Los Angeles"

Nothing but gun stores and BBQ eateries for miles
Very true of Memphis. Thankfully I live in the suburbs - 99% middle to upper class white collar yuppies with not a hint of redneck or ghetto thug in their blood... they'll probably all give me a thumbs up for getting the car. LOL
Old 05-30-07, 03:58 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not the only one, i live in Dearborn (home of Henry Ford and everything Ford).

-hass
Old 05-30-07, 08:30 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I would think that living in Michigan is the crux of your issues. You're in the cradle of American Auto Manufacturing! Most residents don't think too highly of foreign Marques that they incorrectly perceive to be the root of the fall of the American auto.
I used to live in Bloomfield Hills MI and back in the 80s, I remember my parents HAD to drive a Big3 car because of the pressure from society...not to mention we're Japanese LOL.

And ever since I bought my GS, my friends are like "OMG, how much did you pay for that?"...my response is always "its a 8year old off brand Toyota, you're 2004 CRV is probably worth more". [shakes head].

I love my car for what it is. Then again, I hate my car for the negative attention I get. I bought the car for what it is, not the Lexus brand (I'm even taking my badges off this weekend ).
Old 05-30-07, 08:31 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by UNMENDIGO
I Agree With The Previous Post About Your Current Geographical Location. I Live In Southern Cal Where My Neighborhood Homes Are A "modest" 600k+ And I Would Say Every One In My "hood" Has A Japanese Or Some Other Typr Of Foreign Automobile In Their Driveway. Domestic ?? Only Beer And V'8's.....but Even Then....

Im Sure You Have Chosen Your Fleet Of Vehicles Because Of Their Reliabilty And Styling. I Once Owned A Chevy Corsica, A 1990 Thanks Decided To Give Me The Finger At 85k....that Was Replaced By A 1991 Honda Accord That I Gave The Finger To At 256k....ive Moved On To Better Things Since Then But Will Never Forget My Experience With A Gm Product.

So As Far As "brand-ism"..maybe..but I Look At It From The Other Side Of The Glass....brand The Driver Of Our Domestic Product As Someone Who Only Buys Their Vehicle Because Of Low Apr's.....i Can't Find Anything Else Postive Unless Your Into Plastic Side Cladding
you type funny
Old 05-30-07, 09:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
you type funny

I think the forum automatically uncaps the letters
Old 05-31-07, 03:43 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

"Brand'ism" = brand ethnocentrism
Old 05-31-07, 02:40 PM
LexFather

Well I think the OPs first post shows where the American brands have screwed up for so long. THey sold average or **** poor cars that broke down during payments and surely when the car was paid off.

My family tried our best to support domestics but they all were turds while the cheapest car, the Nissan Sentra was the rock of the family.

So we all drive Japanese cars and probably won't go back to American made cars.

Old 05-31-07, 06:05 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine used to live in Michigan and yes, a lot of it has to do with it just not being an American car. She would tell me stories of how when they were younger, they would go out and egg all the import cars on Halloween. She herself will only drive Chrysler products, solely because her dad worked for them. She would however consider driving a Benz, mainly because their partnership with Chrysler (at least for now). I'm not sure how this would go nowadays though especially with so many import car brands being built here. Case in point is Toyota. If everyone stopped buying Toyotas, we would lose thousands of American jobs, since most of the Toyota line is built in the U.S. now.

Down here in South Florida it's quite the opposite. I guess it could be mainly to the diversity of the population. I get a lot of "wow you drive a Lex?" I guess now's the time for me to milk it since the keyless entry, keyless start and bluetooth, seem to still blow some people away.
Old 05-31-07, 09:20 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

its the same with me in live in mi, sterling heights, we have the es300, maxima, honda, camry, then my brothers 300c, everyone else has there envoys and trailblazers
Old 05-31-07, 09:50 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by ecr527
She would tell me stories of how when they were younger, they would go out and egg all the import cars on Halloween.
she probably did it the night before halloween...its a michigan tradition